Feeling a lot of pressure!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by peartree, Jul 1, 2010.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hello all

I am currently 31 weeks and 5 days pregnant and sometimes, I feel enormous pressure on my belly and pelvic region, almost like feeling like peeing, but do not want to pee. It sometimes leaves me breathless. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I have been asked to get an ultrasound done to monitor fetal growth before my next appointment and that is scheduled for the 7th. My next appointment with my ob/gyn is on the 12th. I am feeling the baby move/kick etc on my upper abdomen as usual. Can anyone please guide me on this, if this is something I should be worried about?

Thanks!

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I don't think there is anything to worry...Your baby is running out of place..He/she must be moving and trying to find a comfortable position and hence you are feeling the pressure...Is the baby head down already? If so, then the baby must be putting pressure with his/her head...

I think it's totally normal...When you feel lot of pressure I would suggest just sit down and catch your breath..

If you are still concerned, I would suggest to call the nurse atleast and talk to her..

Don't worry..Everything is fine

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

I second mridusudha. The ample space is getting zipped with your baby's growth day by day. So now you will be entering into final phase soon. Try to walk for a while and also do breathing excersises.
    Just wait till your appointment, check withi OB if there is anything wrong.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thanks so much mridusudha and priya_mommy!

Two of my friends who delivered recently, their babies showed up earlier than scheduled. Of course, both babies are fine and healthy, but my biggest fear at this point is that I might go into labor and not recognize the symptoms. So every little pain or pressure I feel, I sstart freaking out that it is labor, since I have no idea what the real deal would be like :-(

Mridusudha, I don't know yet if the baby is head-down yet. The last time I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks, the tech said the baby was in breech position, but that would keep changing through the entire duration of pregnancy! Is there any other way to find out if the baby is head down?

Another thing I don't understand is this. I heard that the baby keeps changing position. But all the movement I feel is on my upper abdomen, right below my chest! Sometimes, I almost feel like it is butting me with its head or punching me with the fist. At these times, I get scared if the baby is feeling some kind of distress and if I should do something. Of course, that doesn't happen all the time!

5. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

peartree
    no wonder you are worrying about premature birth of baby
    all the time i was worried what if my baby comes early ..i was browsing so much stuff on the web about early labour and all but dont worry
    pressure thing is common and like you said baby will not be engaged or fixed at 31 wks as far as i know it could be fist or head ..i mostly had the kicks or punches in ribs and developed very horrible pain..my doc mentioned my babys head is down in 37th week checkup till then he was breech
    so dont worry

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Trust me, Pear.. YOU WILL NEVER MISS RECOGNISING LABOUR PAIN ! :)
    It is unique and your mommy instincts will tell you, its time to see the LO !

Breech can change anytime till the 39th week.. I have had friends whose babies were breeched till then. My son was in breech position till 37 weeks. They just have to flip and it is soo lovely that you hardly will know when they do the sommesault ! :) So, relax.

You feel the moves more on upper abdomen because he is still up. Your belly will drop down soon and you will feel more pressure on the lower side. If now it is the ribs, then it will be the bladder.

My son's butt was always on my bladder, and I wished I could push him away.. FInally when he flipped.. his head took the job ! Phew.

You are almost there, so just take deep breath during those times and relax.

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I second with everybody here...There is nothing to worry...At 31 weeks the baby can still change positions..It's like they still have space to move but at the same time running out of space...:)

DS was also way high up near my chest and ribs...He never liked me sleeping on the left side. He always used to kick me in the night whenever I lied down to go to bed...I use to rub my belly..Kind of telling him that mommy needs to rest..So after a while he used to stop kicking...

And like Preethi said you cannot miss the labor pains...They are just unique...The pains come from behind your back...So you cannot miss them..Have you started taking labor & delivery classes at the hospital? If not, I strongly suggest you and your DH to attend those classes...They will teach you what to look out for..

Also don't worry about pre-term labor..Stress is not at all good for you and for the baby...Try to relax and take your mind off.

Whenever baby is putting pressure at your ribs/chest/bladder just change positions and rub your belly. Your baby can feel you and will calm down..

Good luck..

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

lavii, preethi and mridusudha

Thanks so much for all your reassurances :bowdown

Now just when I find peace about one thing, there magically appears another thing to freak me :hide: Curse my over-active taste buds, I went crazy after seeing Tiramisu at a bakery and had a slice :-( Only after I polished off the thing and decided to bring the little box home for storing curry leaves did I remember and realize it has rum in it. Now I am really worried if it is okay!

God! I think the sooner these 8 weeks go by, all of us - me, baby, hubby, parents, ILites and God who I seem to be troubling at all times, will be extremely relieved!

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Peartree,

What a coincidence..Even I had tiramisu while I was pregnant...Even I realised after eating that there is rum in it...Oh well...Couldn't resist my taste buds anyway...

Don't worry..They add only little rum in there..And my boy turned out to be fine..

So relax..