1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feel Like A Foreigner In A Strange Land

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 25, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I was born and raised in USA, yet I feel like a froeigner in a strange land.

Can you believe it.

I really thought I would go through the process of putting matrimonial ad again and marrying someone from India.

No problem if he wants to be house husband.

House husband, just like house wife is full time job with endless responsibilities. A lazy bum who likes watching TV all day cannot be house husband.

Cooking, cleaning, maintaining, fixing, shopping (includes saving money via coupons), etc

I remember the months leading up to marriage, I was so happy at prospect of marrying one of the alliances. I remember I was so chill, looking beautiful with makeup, going to restaurants for lunch.

And watching Shelly Duvalle's Faire Tale Theatre where Dreams Come True and Everyone Lives Happily Ever After.

Even recently I have given Toastmaster speeches on India, and lot of you ladies suggested neutral topics.

We must speak from the Heart and understand our audience.

For next speech in Advanced Manual, we have to do "The Moving Story". At first I wanted to tell about Umrao Jaan, because it is moving but it is a sad story, from a foreign land, and audience may naturally tune out.

Now I wish to do the comic rendition of the Frog Prince (with Robin Williams as the Frog turned into Prince)

Somehow I feel I am going into new, unfamiliar territory.

On one hand, I do like the people here. And from "How to Win Friends And Influence People", if you like people, and want them to like you back, you must elevate them. Make them feel good about themselves, about their culture, about their traditions.

On the other hand, I feel like I am loosing a part of myself. A part of myself that is so familiar.

Then again when I went to India first time, I was touched inappropriately by my older cousin (my mom allowed it to happen, I don't have the heart to tell my dad), and second time I got married to this monster and no one cared to provide me hygenic bathroom, much less a decent cup of coffee, yet they happily took $$$ from my dad.

So now I am thinking, what else do I have to loose by completely blending into American culture and putting Indian culture behind.

Or perhaps I can keep good part of Indian culture and gain new things in my life. And if someone asks for stories on India, Hinduism, etc, then I can tell them.

Just wanted to write the emotions I am feeling right now.

If I can express my emotions in a safe place, then I can go back to studying for myself, to improve myself at work, rather than impress prospective in-laws who only want $$$.

After this disaster, I stopped studying for Microsoft certifications, because I thought why kill myself on something difficult, to impress people who don't even like me.

Now I am trying to find something to study that can harness my joys and interests.

If a person truly enjoys their work and study, are they really working and studying?

vaidehi71 likes this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Yes, can believe it! There are many people who are born, being a different Nationality who has been attracted to Indian culture and traditions and think and change themselves. It is in their attitude and personalities, not birth right. You have Indian family around, howmuch ever distraught that might be, still roots run deep. Have you heard about 'Mother' of Pondicherry, if not read about Her. Mother Theresa another example. We can find many like them around.

Why not??
    What's wrong, why do we have generalize that all guys won't do it? Just because that guys are not doing it before marriage, doesn't mean that they won't do it and also doesn't mean that there are no guys like them around!
    Be positive and that approach and flexible,life will show the right person to you.:)

We are human beings, so we have an extra sense, the reasoning skills. So we need to take the positives of any culture, that is my approach. We need to blend where we live, without being influenced by the negative aspects. Where did anyone prevent us from following our tradition abroad, as well as amalgamating ourselves with their culture. Only when you are confused, will you have trouble. Just because being in India, doesn't mean that all are following traditions, and even following all those are following the righteous people. Being righteous is different to being traditional. But every individual can choose to be righteous as well follow our culture and tradition where ever we go. None are going to say anything especially abroad. You are abroad, so should be the same.
    Yes, possible to work and study, but the most important aspect is the interest in doing so!:)

Hope I hadn't confused with my reply. :facepalm::confused::rolleyes::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    Take care,
    Vaidehi

beautifullife30 likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

I struggle with this because of bitter experiences.
    But I know it is possible that many young men can be nice house husbands.
    When I commute to work, I see mostly men taking care of the children, i.e.taking them to park, dropping them off to daycare, school

That is true.
    And there are always positives in cultures

That's a good point.

LOL, I like your reply. Very thought-provoking and insightful. I still feel there is hope to happily go to India after all these years, for any reason.

rajkumarxxx and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

You can have nice mix of indian and American culture.In this age and era you dont have to be some thing pure american or indian.
    OP i am not liking your idea of house husband because its very risky.You are not yourself earning enough to be independent how you are going to support husband and future kids?
    With this house husband add there is this high possibility that you will attract men who are slob,lazy,directionless,not responsible.
    Good man can balance both.He an go out ,earn and help you around the house as well.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

That's what I was concerned about ... maybe the men I see with the children were working before children but now they might be working part time .....

Still thinking things through ....

6. rajkumarxxx

rajkumarxxx Bronze IL'ite

I guess that marriage got into deep trouble. Browsed through your profile and "Find all the threads" by you, but couldn't locate. I mean, possibly, the thread where you might have written about that marriage. Just wanted to read it, can you give me a clue ? Sorry, for the diversion.

7. ChennaiExpress

Well, these posts are from Oct 2015 and earlier. Not sure if IL keeps these.

Long story short, ex married for GC, was abusive, I called police on him, marriage is dissolved.

Still picking up the pieces.

8. rajkumarxxx

Feel sorry !

9. rajkumarxxx

Does it mean the contents of all your posts/threads before Oct 2015, were removed ? Why ?

10. ChennaiExpress

This is up to IL admins