1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding the Luscious Appetite of Gossip: Sania Mirza and Shoaib Malik

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ShailRaghuvansh, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

When it comes to a pretty young thing in a mini skirt and a bust clenching T.Shirt, all are game it seems. And, when it happens to be a young Muslim girl soaring across the Indian and global scene with her tennis tactics, we are all ears and eyes!

Suddenly becoming the cynosure of thousands of youngsters (boys and girls) all over the world can come as a real ego booster. It is a great feeling, to be on top of the world. One moment, you are nobody. Suddenly, the whole world knows you and wants you.

So, what's so unnatural in that? Doesn't it happen all the time? After all, celebrities are created this way?you may ask.

I agree. And I have nothing at all against it. One cannot deny the fact that Sania Mirza has pushed Indian woman tennis onto the global map. Suddenly, people have begun to realize that Indian women can play tennis well too. Not that Sania Mirza is on par with the William sisters. But, she is an inspiration for other Indian/Asian girls who feel that if she can achieve this, they too can. Of course, the endorsements, the glamour, the fame and the money is part of it. And, who will say "no" to it! Enjoying and earning one's glory is certainly no crime.

But then, this isn't an issue about Sania's route to fame or her enjoyment.

It is the issue about washing dirty linen in public.

It is the issue about people like us wanting to lap up everything that goes on in the bedrooms of celebrities.

It is the issue of the media wanting a pound of flesh of every thing that isn't their business.

It just happens to be plain co-incidence that the man Sania Mirza wants to marry (Shoaib Malik) happens to be a Pakistani. So, does that justify every one pouncing upon him? Come on. We too have issues just like Sania and Shoaib have little or more.

SHE with her gradings in the tennis field coming down and her recent broken engagement.
    HE with the cricket ban and his controversial first marriage.

Would we like it if the media suddenly barged into our lives, into our bedrooms to lay judgement on who we should marry, when, how, why?

Does being a celebrity mean that you HAVE to lay bare all personal details of your life 24x7?

Yes, being a celebrity comes with perks and responsibility. There are lots of people waiting to be in your shoes, to imitate you so, you need to be careful. But, does it mean you are no longer human like the 'aam aadmi?' You cannot commit mistakes like the common man? You have to justify everything that you do in life from brushing your teeth to making love?

Does the media have nothing better to discuss about?
    Does the common man HAVE TO satiate his fascinations by gossiping?

How would you like it if your personal life became the butt of jokes and gossip of any Tom, Dick and Harry?

Let sleeping dogs lie and let's carry on with our jobs.
    There's lots to be done than discussing about who is sleeping with whom!
    What do you say Friends?

Computer Typing

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010

2. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shail,

I was beginning to wonder where you had disappeared to .

Speaking for myself - I do become upset when sports personalities become famous / infamous for the wrong reasons. Their careers take a beating when their private lives become public. So I feel they can ill afford making these mistakes. And yes, unlike tv and movie stars ?celebrities who I think are humanoid and dont seem to get affected or rather seem to thrive on media gossip these people ( sports people ) are human and surely will be hurt.
    But isn't media hype and gossip a prize you pay for being famous?

Love,
    Usha

3. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Usha,

Hi! I will not permit myself to leave IL that easily!:))

But isn't media hype and gossip a prize you pay for being famous?

Well, hype, gossip and all things infamous and negative do come in the celebrity package. But the issue as I mentioned, is not at all about the hype and negative impact of the media on the celebrities. It is the media's unnecessary interference in such matters. It is the common man's interest in such juicy matters. That is what I am talking about.

I think it is high time we get interested in more creative and constructive matters.

Don't you think so?

Nice Day.
    Shail:)

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail,
    A wonderful and thought provoking post .
    "A society which lives for celebrity will destroy not only its celebrities, but itself,” Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray said.
    In the materialistic world each and every thing comes at a price ,with a tag attached. Cost increases in direct proportion with rarity and exclusivity .According to me right now ,in this Age of Information and instant Communication ,privacy is the costliest tag and it is a celebrity who pays such a high price to attain the celebrity status. We all desperately need seek and have a basic right to divulge details of our private and personal lives as and when we please whenever and to whoever we want. In a way we are the masters of our private space . We like to guard it fiercely and we want every one to respect it.In order to live a healthy ,happy life we need a private space .It is precious ,sacrosanct and inviolable and i to days celebrities have to barter it to reach the list .Actually autopsies of celebrities begin not after death but when theymanage to reach their goal after years and tears of hard work When we are violating privacy we are actually doing an autopsy .By hounding them we dont give them peace in this life and and afterlife too. WHat a price to pay to become famous? All the good work , all the charity , all that they stood for is forgotten. All we are interested in is a peep into privacy? Really what a price a celebrity has to pay ?celebrities sign away their privacy because of their big paychecks.
    Any publicity is good publicity even if it's bad . . . celebrities are living their lives the way they choose, but it's the cult of society which has placed them at the top of the collective food chain.. I feel both Sania and Shoaib Malik are in this situation.
    with love
    pad

5. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Padmini,

I am glad you liked the post and took time to give your nicely thought-over detailed reply.

Really, it is a bad state of affairs for the celebrities. What I feel most bad about is that we the common men and women are setting standards for gossip. We are unable to solve many of our own problems so find it convenient to have a peek at someone else's personal life. And even lay judgment at that!

Sania and Shoaib are adults and have families who are there to advise if and when necessary. Why should the media and the public interfere?
    Do you think that Ayesha (the first wife of Shoaib) would be able to get justice (if she is right) if Sania was not involved?

That's how gossip hungry the media and many of us in the public are.

Nice Day:)
    Shail

6. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Absolutely correct assessment.
    Unfortunately, TV channels have become visual tabloids of the offensive kind and have succeeded in making vouyeristic addicts of all couch potatoes . There has been a drastic decline in good taste ever since the monster of TRP ratings reared its ugly head.

In this particular case, the persons involved were also voluntarily contributing to the unholy chaos, by giving interviews, press meets etc.

Thank goodness, everything has ended now with the Talaq , so we can have some peace and quiet to ruminate on more important happenings!

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear shail,

how have you been? hearty congratulations on winning the FP for last month .:)

you said it !we do waste a lot of time in such useless gossip.the media and the concerned people are to be blamed.why cant the celebrities just refuse to talk about their personal affairs,i have never understood.

i remember seeing kamalhaasan in an interview when he just refused to answer questions about his divorce Or Ash looking clearly at the eye of the anchor and skipping questions on her ex beau salman khan with a smiling "next, please" .

i was quite impressed with them..:)

8. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear TL,

Glad that you agree that we need to indulge less in such kind of gossip. It is not necessary that only gossip of such kind can make our lives more entertaining and creative. There are other ways too. We only need to think beyond our little wells of prejudiced thought!

Yes, some people thrive on gossip. What to do?!

Yes, the talaq has come through although I have a vague feeling this is not the last we are going to hear of Sania and Shoaib.

Nice Day:)
    Shail

9. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Mindi,

Hi! I have been fine busy with too many other things.

Nice that you liked the post. Gossip is an attraction very few can let go off especially when there is nothing to lose. Except maybe, a few unwarranted words off a slimy tongue:biggrin2:

Thanks for the warm wishes.

Nice Day.:)
    Shail

10. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shail,

Me again.( I hope I dont sound like the donkey- Eddie Murphy in The Shrek - me me me ) I do agree with you . The media and us - we can spend our energies on other pressing/ worthwhile issues rather than waste it on the private lives of others and such trivial matters.
    But tell me aren't there many amongst us who capitalise on other peoples miseries and failures? It happens in families / in communities / societies - we pearch ourselves on a pedestal .

Love,
    Usha