1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding solids at daycare

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by marlboro, Jul 9, 2013.

1. marlboro

marlboro Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies!

I have a quick query on how the babies are fed solids at daycare. How long do they try , until the teacher gives up. My 10 month old baby will be going to full time daycare from next week and I am super tensed about her solids intake. At home, feeding her solids is a full fledged entertainment hungama or else she doesnt open her month. Please give me some suggestions on making her eat solids at daycare without much fuss.

Thanks !!!

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Marlboro,

Do you know the ratio they maintain in your day care? Any day care will not spend the amount of time and energy as mom we do. They do have other kids to take care. But kids get the hang of it. They generally do good at school looking at others eating food. You're putting a 10 month old baby so I am really out of words here. My DD joined at 15 months and by then she was independent in food so I never thought about it. See for a week how she does with your food in day care. You may get an idea.

2 people like this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As chitra has mentioned, check for teacher-child ratio. Inform the day care about your daughter's fussiness with food. Ask the day care how they handle such situations. Once you start sending your LO to day care keep an eye on the solid intake. Do not be afraid to ask questions to the daycare teacher if your daughter does not seem to be having anything.

2 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Exactly like Chitra and Ramya said, check for the child to teacher ratio at the daycare. usually they try their best to feed our kids in the given time frame. One thing I can assure you though, no matter how good a daycare you choose, the food intake there will be less than what we mom's feed.
    My daycare lady keeps a log everyday. She logs in what she ate, how much she ate, how much she slept etc. Actually I asked the lady to leave the snack/lunch boxes as is without washing so that I know exactly how much my LO ate.

3 people like this.
  5. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Daycare teachers won't force feed children as we moms do. They will try 2-3 times, if the child refuses to eat, they will leave it. If the child is cooperating they will feed them. Since your baby is just 10 months she will be going to infant room, which is much better because the ratio of children to teacher is 4:1 in most day cares in US. Also they will usually follow the child's feeding schedule at home. If your kid is 1 year, he/she will be going to the toddler room and there the ratio will be 6:1 and they used to follow a routine like lunch at 12 and snacks at certain time in the morning and evening. They won't feed them other times

Also be prapare for hunger strikes. My DD did not eat for days when she started day care at 11 months. She just drank water/BM that too very minimal. But the teacher used to try after half an hour or so , if her time permits. Then she started eating her favorite food like pasta and her teacher asked me to send only pasta as it is the only thing she eats. But soon she started eating by herself by using spoon. She is not even 2 now.But she feeds herself mostly. And it is a huge time saving for me.

1 person likes this.
  6. marlboro

marlboro Bronze IL'ite

Thank you all for your kind replies.the ratio is std 4:1. they keep a logbook too.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@marlboro I would suggest you to follow Rakhii's method in terms of not cleaning thr boxes. That way you would know the exact amount that your daughter has eaten.

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thats good. The first couple of weeks are going to be hard but dont worry, kids are smarter than we think. They will get the hang of this daycare thingy soon.

1 person likes this.