1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding pattern for 1 month old?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by satin, May 17, 2010.

1. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

My son is a month old now and how should the feeding pattern be,so far I used to wake up once in 2 hrs and feed him during day and once in 3 hrs during night,since he is a month old now any idea if I should make him sleep longer,he always likes to stay awake during day time now,should I voluntarily make him sleep,I am a bit confused.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

New borns need to get atleast 15-16 hrs of sleep. Normally at one month I think the wake up time between naps should not be longer than 1-2 hrs. Night time I would let them sleep as long as they can. If the weight gain is good, I don't think there is any need to wake them up to feed them if they can sleep longer on their own.
    They definitely need to nap during the day for a healthy brain development.

Are you sure you are not missing his sleep signs? If he stays awake for longer hours during the day (more than 2 or 3 hrs at a time) then he might get overtired. And if he
    is overtired then he will not be able to sleep at night. Is there too much noise at home? Is the TV on continuously? You need to take him to a quiet room with curtains closed and block out all the noise. Just have a standing fan/ceiling fan noise or some light music. Make his bed comfortable. Make him sleep at the same place for naps and bed time, so that he associates that place for sleeping.

If adults sleep during the day then they can't sleep at night but it doesn't work for babies that way. For babies sleep begets sleep. Naps are very important for them. An overtired baby is no good and it affects their night sleep.

So try to make sure that your baby takes alteast 3-4 naps during the day.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can try to help because I have been there and done that!!

3. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Hi mridusudha,

Thanks for your reply and did you ask if there is noise...hell yeah!!!! Right now the place I stay is in a 20 ft road and the bedroom is road facing and you can easily even touch the vehicles going by :)...you can even hear the dog walking and so much noise by bikes,lorry,since there is also no building opposite to this place the dog barking is heard like echo and like as if there shout in a loudspeaker :)...but this was not a problem few weeks back but now it seems so.I do take lactare tablet since the milk flow is not good,but for the past 1 week I see that he continously wanted to keep nursing for hours,so no sleep obviously for the baby,yesterday alone he was awake for 4 hours continoulsy because he kept asking and asking,right now I wont say my milk flow is good,I have milk secretion but in some days my breats dont seem to get,so each time I used to press and give him and then I notice that the milk flow is not there,so I press and give again and this continues for an hour generally,but for the past 2 days I';ve been doing this for like 4 to 5 hours continously that my hands are aching,I am planning to see a doctor do you think that I need to switch him to formala,I so dont wanted to do it!!!Do the breasts need to be full and overflow to have a good milk supply?I am so depressed,becuase he hardly slept for the past 3-4 days.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Satin,

Try muffling the noise with a standing fan. I am sure it will make a lot of difference.

Regarding milk supply - No your breast need not leak to say that your supply is good. Is your baby having enough wet diapers? If yes, then he should be getting enough.
    You say you are "pressing" - Are you doing compressions while he is breastfeeding or expressing the milk by hand by pressing your breasts? I didn't understand what you are trying to say??

Lot of newborns have a lot of suck need. May be he has a big time suck need. May be that's why he is latching onto you continuously using you as a pacifier. Did you try a pacifier instead?

I don't see any need to start using a formula unless he is not having enough wet diapers. I would suggest you use the pacifier and see if that makes a difference in his suck need.

Also continue using the lactare and try to boost your milk supply. If you have a breast pump, you can also pump and try to increase your milk supply. Also soak methi seeds and eat the seeds and drink that water. Do this 3-4 times a day. It will surely help to increase your supply.
    Also go through this thread which has lot of tips to increase your supply.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/b...la-feeding/2733-how-get-more-breast-milk.html

Hope things work out for you soon.