1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding confused

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Padminiramesh, May 25, 2010.

1. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Mommies,

So far i am BFing LO with solids. He didnt like formula milk, but when tried aavin he accepted once, the very next day he fallen sick and was hospitalized because of vomitting.
    He did reacted well for aavin.
    But my question here is, my doc advised me not to use to bottle for LO. I would be joining back to work in a couple of weeks and MIL would take care of him. Bottle would be the good option for her to feed. Is it ok shall i go ahead with bottle?
    Everytime i try bottle feed him/try new milk he fall in sick, but dont know whether it is because of the bottle/milk or it just happens...
    Please suggest me what to do further?
    I started with Easum today and he reacts good for that.

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

dear padmini, can we please stop giving aavin milk to hayagreev...?
    i feel his diarrhoea and vomiting is less to do with bottles and more to do with cows milk protein.now u have noticed that he has diarrhoea issues when he takes formula too? could this be cows milk protein intolerance?
    i have been bottling my baby since she was 4 months old... but we discontinued it at around 4.5-5 months and then started recently at 7 plus months...
    i make sure i sterilize the bottles and sippers well.. but then now that she is mobile,i cant even count the number of times she drops her sippies and bottles...no stomach bugs so far. It is a different ballgame for us since she prefers formula to breastfeeding.weird!
    i am not advocating bottle feeding. infact her pedi in coimbatore asked me to stop bottling her ASAP.he was so strongly against it. But u know i have a brain too... and my LO needs milk wen i am not around, so i am still bottling her, at times wen she hates to be latched on,or wen i am not around.we changed the pedi in coimbatore,wen he suggested formula was not necessary, and i could give aavin milk. Sad to see we still have these old school practitioners around.

coming to ur problem, i really think u should take a second opinion from another pedi as to whether it could be any intolerance to milk...if not,then what could it be.

worse case, if he is not taking formula, i think better BF him wen u are with him, and give him solids wen he is with ur ILs....
    many babies do just okay with cows milk even under 1 yr, but like ur baby, some dont.

this is plainly my opinion though!

hugs n kisses to baby hayagreev :)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

also wen at home pump an oz or 2 for mixing with cereal like easum....that way he will get some more of momma milk :)

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

some more info i am copy pasting from another site ,wen babies were given cows milk as such

Allergic reactions after having cow's milk or other dairy products
    These symptoms may occur:

1. up to one hour after having cow's milk.
      hives, eczema, face swelling, vomiting, diarrhoea, noisy breathing or wheeze. Severe reactions may cause floppiness in babies and a serious allergic reaction called anaphylaxis.
    2. several hours after having moderate amounts of cow's milk.
      vomiting and diarrhoea and sometimes blotchy rashes or worsening eczema.
    3. after a day or up to several days after having normal amounts of cow's milk.
      eczema, vomiting, diarrhoea or asthma.
    you also might find your child has daily evidence of this problem,,,,,

• dark blue, black or reddish circles under the eyes
    • reddish earlobes
    • reddened nose (from rubbing the tip due to itch)

5. Padminiramesh

Thanks Poonam,
    Even i feel Aavin is the prb.
    How about Similac? any idea?

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

padmini, do chk with pedi if its milk protein allergy, if it is, then i guess he will prescribe a cows milk free formula.

as far as formulas are concerned, i prefer the one manufactured here... i hv heard a lot of duplicates being sold around

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. Padminiramesh

Yes Poonam, there is one in similac with lactose free...planning to try that

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Padmini, just clarifying that cow's milk protein allergy is different from lactose intolerance. Breastmilk is more lactose rich than cow's milk is. So, if your child were to have true lactose intolerance he would have failed to thrive on breastfeeding. Obviously that is not the case and therefore, it has to be CMP allergy. Unfortunately for that, you either need to use an extensively hydrolysed formula or soy formula.
    I would suggest you talk to your paed about the possibility of CMP allergy and aavin milk episode and the diarrhoea before you decide on the formula. How is the little one doing now. I hope things get easier for you and the LO.

9. minivara

minivara Junior IL'ite

Hi Tikka,

just left you a post in the vaccination thread..not sure if you saw that. we are in the decision stage for DS vaccines. He is 4.5 mos and we prefer the delayed schedule. However, I would like to know the know the old schedule in India..I think pre 2008. You had mentioned in any earlier post you may have it. Do let me know if you have the old schedule ...would help ease a lot of my confusion.

sorry y'll for hijacking this thread. with all this talk about vaccines and autism...we are in a spot.

thanks

minivara

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

tikka that was some info! thanx for sharing :)