1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fed Up with using medicines

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by durgamavu, Feb 1, 2011.

1. durgamavu

durgamavu New IL'ite

Hi..my son is 17 months old nd cathces cold so easily and it turns into fever..we go to hsptal evaery 10 days..am fed up with using medicines for him...now he is snoring too much while sleeping ..there is no much flum bu t i dnt knw why he is snoring that much..had anyone faced this prblm..if i leave cold like that without using medicines it turns to fever..am not knwng wat to do??..pls help

2. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Your son must be snoring a lot cause his nostrils might be blocked due to cold.You can use some saline/nasal drops to clear the nose just before he goes to sleep as well as smear a little vicks on his nose and neck.Also give him lots of fluids ,mainly water when he has a cold.I know it is tough to make them drink water,so you might have to convince him some way or the other.

For my son too,colds usually turn into fever,but his pediatrician always adviced me to give him medication only once the fever sets it,not for the cold or runny nose.But of course you should do what our sons doctor advises you.

Just one more thing,if your son is around other kids a lot like in the daycare etc ,it is very imp that you frequently wash his hands as he will be touching n number of surfaces etc.That also greatly helps.Take care and hope he gets well soon:)

3. durgamavu

durgamavu New IL'ite

thanku :),neways our doc gives many medicines ..so have to use them :(

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I agree with Janaki..I don't use any medicine for cold!! Apart from saline drops I also do the hot steam.

If you think your doctor is giving too many medicine then may be it's time to change your doctor!!

Just a thought!!

5. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

Take him to ENT checkout for adenoids and pediatric pulmonologist

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    cold & cough needs no medicine till fever sets in.then also doc usually do blood test to chk if its viral or bacterial.if its bacterial then doc may prescribe anti biotics..............usually no medicine if its viral.
    u need to change the doc who keeps on giving medicine for simple cold..........
    make baby sleep on small pillow to keep his head little higher .it will relieve snoring due to blocked nose.
    giving steam just before sleep is good but be careful.usually it better to let the child sleep & then put steamer in room........
    no vicks on nose or body...........leads to wheezing.u can alppy some to his feet soles & put cotton socks...........
    saline drops to clean blocked nose is best.......otrivin infant is prescribed by doc but should be used within a month...........

keep babies hands clean............. infections will reduce.
    pragati

7. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Billybob's right - if there's excessive snoring, you do need to check his adenoids, and the pulmonologist is not a bad idea either.

I've found that it helps a lot if I start the steam therapy BEFORE the cold actually sets in ( you'll know the symptoms; hoarse breathing, runny nose....)

I also use the nebulizer (with saline solution... and NOT steroids)- you might want to check with your doctor on that.

Though i agree that excessive medicines for colds in unecessary, I do find that tylenol during the worst days does help to alleviate the aching throat and general feeling of malaise.

JMO

8. AndersThomsen

AndersThomsen New IL'ite

Take him to ENT doctor, that might help you, there might be chance that he is snoring due to close nose or blocked nose. As far as age is concern your son is 17, & now entered in the adult & almost 45% adults around the globe used to snore, suggest him to try Asonor anti snoring products it will really help you.

9. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Did you check if the baby is allergic to anything?
    My friend's son had similar problem and they later realised that the boy was allergic to certain types of blankets and also the was mould in their house which made the issue bigger.
    It could be anything from dust to room freshner.

Just giving another perspective.