Fear of Birth....Need advice

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by kanmani, Oct 7, 2006.

1. anjalineema

anjalineema New IL'ite

Re: when to have a scan

thanks amitha....
    ya now i have decided that i will go for a scan as soon as i go back to my home town... for no more confusions in mind... if its like 3 times scan done in the whole period ( until n unless a prob is there...) then its fine... i ll be having 3 scans done...
    ya i ll go for a check up.. just to confirm about my baby... anyways i dont want to know gender of my baby.... i hope its better not to know in advance... let it b an excitement till last time...
    hey u have kids... from which city u are originaly from...
    nice to see ur reply... keep messaging...
    have a nice day!!!

2. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Hai Anjali,

I am from Bangalore. I came to USA only in December 2006. I have a son who is 2 years 9 months old. He is an Indian citizen.

Now I am 10 weeks pregnant. My due date is April 23rd. I haven't got any scanning done so far here. My doctor told me that they will do the scanning only in the 18the week. So I am waiting. And we have decided to find out the gender of the baby in advance. You won't believe - we are thinking if the baby is going to be girl, we are planning to name her Anjali.

I miss India and my mother. I feel if I would have been there, she would have taken care of me. However my husband wants me to deliver the baby here. So we are trying for VISA for my mother. I hope she gets VISA. It will be wonderful if she comes here. More than anything I want her to see this place.

Why are you going to India for delivery? I have heard that the delivery process is very good here. So many people have told that the doctors here really take care and assist with a lot of patience during the actual delivery time. Any specific reason for you to go back to India.

Anyway take care and keep in touch. Bye.
    Amitha

3. diwali

diwali Senior IL'ite

hi Amitha,

CONTRATULATIONS to u on u r pregnancy!

take care of u r health! enjoy a lot.

hope u r mother will be here very soon.

Sri

4. anjalineema

anjalineema New IL'ite

hi amitha...
    hey congs to u too on ur pregnancy.. hope ur mom comes to help u out... i dont think there will b any problem in getting a visa...
    well my parents and inlaws every one is over there in indore.. n everyone wishes for my delivery to b over there only.. even i wish for that..it wont be possible for me to call my mom or any one from my family.. to help me out.. n we think it will b tough for us n especially my hubby to handle both of us together n all alone... well i used to live in a joint family before marrige... and of all the kids i m the eldest one... so all my brothers n sister are also excited related to me n baby... n wish everyone to b all around when my baby comes... else the rest time we r only two left....
    n there in indore my uncle ( chacha ) is also a doc... so it will b a great help for us...
    well i would like to consult to a doc over here in US .. do u know about any gud gyanco in Hoffmann estates... i searched for it on net even but there is a long list n hard to choose who will be gud for me...
    hey can any one tell me about how much does it cost for a scan... i would like to consult the doc just for a routine check up of me n baby so without a scan it would not b possible to know about baby...

ok then tc...
    have anice day...
    bbye

5. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Congrats on your pregnancy!!:)

I am assuming you are under your husband's insurance plan. Find out which one it is. Usually all tests/scans are covered by insurance. You don't have to pay much. Go online to that insurance's website and find out a ob/gyn close to your home. Choose a big practice preferably. Ask somebody who has given birth already in that city (or area). I am sure there would be somebody in your circle who can guide you towards a doctor. Ask around and don't delay this any longer than you already have.

A general doctor (that you have been seeing in India) is very different from an ob/gyn. An ob/gyn would be more geared towards your well being while you are pregnant and has more in-depth info on what tests need to be done and when and what needs to be checked.

In the practice that I went to, a monthly check up was absolutely mandatory. Getting checked by a doctor monthly during this stage is good for your baby as well as you.

As somebody already suggested, check out the facilities here also, so that you have a better idea of what options you can have if you deliver in US (along with the fact that your baby automatically becomes a US citizen. Ofcourse, this factor is immaterial if it is not important to you) and then compare with what you have in Indore.

Epidural is one option that is very easily and widely available here. Check if it is available in the Indore hospital where you plan to deliver.

Scanning is done around the 20th week and you can tell the radiologist that you would not like to know the gender of the baby. It is an important test and I don't think you should keep it pending any longer.

All the best!!:2thumbsup:

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Baby's growth 3 weeks ahead of the actual no. of weeks ? - Kindly help

hi sreeja,

What happened to the scan. what is the result and what is the doctors' opinion????

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: Whom to get for help during delivery?

I don't deny that there are wonderful mils around too:) i delivered at my mom's place but if i had to make a decision between having my mom or mil to help out i'd definitely choose mom irrespective of any excellent relationship i might have with my mil. The first 3 months after delivery, i find, is a bit stressful as the mother goes through all hormonal changes, getting used to a new addition, feeding etc., and even if i throw tantrum with my mother she'd definitely understand. i can always make it up. i don't think that can be the case with most mils. So soon after delivery better to have mother and then the mil. You'll also be up in your feet by then to take things easily:) BTW I mean no offence to mils, many of whom i too know personally that have been more than mothers to their dils :)

8. glowmom

glowmom Senior IL'ite

Re: Whom to get for help during delivery?

I had my mother in law come for my first delivery here in U.S. she was not my choice. we had arranged for my parents to come but at the last minute, my mom fell sick and could not come.. it was very nice of my mother in law to step in and come at short notice.. now, i am kinda person who will just take things as is and go on.. fact is if my MIL had not come, i would not have been really sad sure she was so much help, things went really smooth with her here.. there were also a bit of unpleasant situations and then i had to understand she was doing her best..

with this thing in mind, this time, we did not invite any of them (MIL or Mom). I know, mom cannot come this time also since her health is not good.. my MIL offered to come without us asking and is making plans to arrive here 2 weeks before delivery.. 3 years after my first one, i know her health is not that good as well.. plus she was here last month and would be making this trip again..but she is a kind lady and wants to help out....now, not everyone might be as lucky as me in MIL case..

bottom line is i wanted my Mom both times and i cannot have that.. my Mom's health is far more important to me than having her fly across oceans to be with me for my delivery.. at the same time, MIL is far more handy than my Mom coz she is youger and healthier compared to my Mom. Ultimately, you have to see how much help they can give when they are here since that is what is need of the hour..

Hopefully i made sense in my ramblings.. and helped you make some decision. please feel free to pm me if you need to.

9. sadhana

sadhana Guest

Labour pain

Hi All,

My due date is May 25 th.
    I know it is too early to worry about labour.But Whomever i know are pregnant seem to have only Ceasarean delivery. Has the percentage of normal deliveries decreased now.?

Also I am very much afraid if I would be able to bear the pain of a normal delivery.Is pain the reson why women are opting for ceasarean deliveries nowadays? Can you please let me know if any of you have had normal deliveries and if so how was the experience.

Thanks,
    Sadhana.

10. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Labour pain

Hi Sadhana,

Don't worry...normal deliveries do take place...in fact I had a normal delivery..

About the pain - try to take some labor classes in your last trimester. You will get to know some of the exercises and breathing techniques you can do to lower your pain.

In my case, when the pain became too much, I asked for an epidural. Within 3-5 minutes, my pain was gone and I was resting like a baby...after that the whole thing was a piece of cake...

Just find out your pain relieving options from your doctor before hand...also remember to exercise every single day for 30 min to keep yourself fit.

take care...you'll be fine...:)

love,
    Aarushi