1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Carnatic Songs!

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by justanothergirl, Feb 17, 2012.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Does anyone have Mohana Ragam Alapanai of either Maharajapuram or his dad?
    I dont seem to have it.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Talk about wishing to sing , i do that everyday..could not learn when i was a kiddo though had a good voice (if i may say so), now DD has a great voice but no time or inclination to practice. but passion for music runs in the family..

and there are lot of stories behind many krithis..be it thiyagaraja or syama sastri..

just check out the stories that is referred to in each line in the thanthai thai..
    ( all siva-baktha leelai..)
    kallAl oruvan adikka udal silirkka
    kAlin seruppAl oru vEdan vanthE uthaikka
    villAl oruvan adikka... (kAndIbamenum)...
    kUsAmal oruvan kai kOdAliyAl vetta
    kUttaththil oruvan piththA pEyA ena thitta
    vIsi mathurai mAran pirampAl adikka
    antha vELai yArai ninainthIrO ayyA!

2 people like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Ohh.. you should listen to a Soumya rendition of Edhayya Gathi... absolutely mesmerizing! Chalanaata itself is so beautiful and to hear it in Soumya's vengala koral... the effect is just beautiful :)

For some reason, I am total sucker for Kritis on Lord Shiva.. Ma ramanan, ramanatham bhajeham, idathu padam thooki aadum, sabapathikku veru deivam.... I could go on and on :)

-

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

JAG, true, no other rendition can equal MLV's marugelara...

Shanthi, I used to learn vocal but stopped when my mother (!) said all songs sound the same when I sing:( and to my eternal mortification, a 4 yr old who was hard of hearing told me, "Ms. ..., you really don't know how to sing, do you? Let me show you how to sing that song," and sang 'run run...' from the gingerbread man at circle time.

It is nice when you understand the subtleties behind the songs, isn't it? I do like chinnanjiru kiliye...can't decide whose rendition I like better. My brother used to tease me mercilessly and then sing 'un Kannil neer vazhindhal...' my niece thinks we are nuts...how can you have fond memories of being teased?
    But it was always in good fun...

1 person likes this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

:cheersOk there seems to be one common bond that binds us ladies...I cant sing either..even if my life depended on it.:hide:
    Went through the necessary motions of learning carnatic vocal when I was young but gave up eventually. Sigh!

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jag, i can singgg (only sometimes sruthi goes running away), that is what my dh, dd and FIL say, that i have a nice voice and i can go and learn even now. i meant to say parents thought singing was not us..i used to sing for the school choir.

Rama, yes, and we have a lot of such krithis's that take for the merciless teasings that later become wonderful memories..

like..enna thavam seidhanai has now got changed to..

enna thavam seidhanai..Smma,
    Enrum visahamanirainda S, amma venru azaikka..:hide::hide: (i said we are muzically crazy..)

there are days whole songs get tuned to our needs by DS and DH..:rotfl:rotfl

2 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

YEs sowmya sings well and she is a very good teacher too. dh's cousin who is also a carnatic singer learns from her. and pani vizhum malarvanam is chalanaatai i think...??

how about kaana vendaamo...and that too by sanjay is a treat to the ears and bhakti..from the kshetra chidambaram... http://music2.raag.fm/Carnatic_Movies/songs-19177-Ksetra_Chidambaram-Sanjay_Subrahmanyan

1 person likes this.
  8. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Hey nice thread. Visiting it for the first time.
    My list of favourites

1. Kurai Ondrum Illai - M.S Amma
    2. Kaa Vaa Vaa - D.K.Pattammal
    3. Yaaro Ivar Yaaro - D.K.Pattammal
    4. Nagumomu Ganaleni - mostly listen to M.S Amma's version
    5. Poomel Valarum Annaiye in Anandha Bhairavi - Sanjay Subrahmaniyam
    6. Shanmugha Kandhanum Mohana Kannanum - Nithyashree Mahadevan
    7. Bagaya Nayya

Few of my favourites. Every monday in our home is called Music Monday :) So from about 7 till 10 we will listen to classical music. My 5 year old son also enjoys it and his set of favourites too!