Father's Day Special Contest - Is your Father your role model? - June 2011

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarojayasree

sarojayasree New IL'ite

Well...Yes my father is my role model.

we all give so much of credit to our mothers,being the sole creater & care taker.But i always feel fathers haven't got that much of hype as mothers.Worldwide Mother's Day celebrated with a sensational promotion as compared to Father's Day.But Father is a standing pillar in the family who gives great deal of support to everyone.:)

And i can't remember a person in my life who had a more significant influence on me than my father.I know the situations we have gone through in the past years when we lost our brother.He himself being in the greatest of agony showed us the light to overcome the hurdle.And encourged me being his brave boy.That helped to get over all the obstacles in my life.I have no words to express my deepest gratitude towards him..I always feel i m very much lucky to born as a daughter of him.He is always there for me when ever i required him the most & he has put his hand of faith n trust towards me in each n every phase of my life.I have learnt how to live & manage my own way of life in his shadow.I couldn't have come so far without his support & love.

In the childhood days also he has got everything for us whatever we demanded according to our reach to see a glimpse of smile on our faces.He is a great motivator and rolemodel for me.He has invariably directed us to climb the ladder of success in every step may it be education,studies,job & in other important decions of life.

Truely....My Father is a friend,philosopher,guide for a life time.:thumbsup

I can say that "I m a father's child".He is being the god after god in my life.

LOVE U the Most..:):thumbsup

Cheers!!
    Jayasree

2. jodi1617

jodi1617 New IL'ite

I Love you Dad!

This weekend was Father’s day (June 19th) and most of us must have gotten something for our Dad, or will call and talk to him. When I logged into my Google chat yesterday morning, there was a message under the chat tab – ‘Reminder, Call Dad’! Wherever you go shopping from the past 2 weeks before this day, you’ll find places that offer sales and something to gift your Dad, be it a perfume, watch, clothes, shoes etc. However buying something for your Dad to wish him ‘Happy Father’s day‘ isn’t really that easy especially when he already has most of the those things typically. As Google chat reminds us even, ‘a simple phone call’ will do most of the times, the thought that you remembered him and called matters the most.

My Dad, I suppose like most men isn’t very expressive when it comes to words. He sometimes just calls me and starts talking about electronics, or some new product out there, or something even scientific. He is so passionate about learning and knowledge that he tells us, he could even do a PhD at this age if time permits! I have always wondered how does he know so much about sports, be it soccer, tennis or cricket (going backwards to the past few world cups), or even golf though he really doesn’t play most of these sports and has never really been a ‘tough sportsman’!.

I remember distinctly living in our apartment in Mumbai sometimes in the late 90′s, staying up overnight (due to the time difference) watching the soccer world cups with my Dad. On the other hand, cooking; however was never really his thing. He still cooks good Tomato dhal, sometimes better than what my Mom makes. And he can dance too - though that’s more like shaking a leg and hands! His jokes (in Hindi we call them PJ’s – Pakau jokes; meaning silly jokes) never make us really laugh, but he still comes up with a new joke every time we meet him and we do look forward to hearing them as well.

From childhood, the one most important thing my Dad has taught me and my sister, is to be independent and standing up for yourself. Right through helping me and my sister with studies from school days to giving us career advice during high school and university days, he has always been actively involved in every important aspect of our lives. We are a close knit family. Me and my sister know; family is everything for my parents. I know; me and my sister mean the world to my Dad, though he never expresses it directly.He decided to move cities, and even countries, twice to make sure he's done everything for my Mom and to be closer to me and my sister.

I miss my Dad a lot. He’s only a 2 hour flight away from me. Living in the US, I have gotten used to the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, which are an occasion to spend time with family. I make it a point to visit my parents during that time along with a couple of other times during the year whenever I can. Somedays I miss my parents so much however, that I just feel like leaving everything behind, taking the next flight and just going to their place and spending time with them.

Most importantly, my Dad has been my role model. To date, I still ask my husband many times, whenever he tries to fix something around the home or talks about a soccer game, "My Dad could do this in no time, or why don't you talk to my Dad, maybe he can offer you some suggestions".

Dad, if I’ve never told you enough number of times; – “I LOVE YOU, DAD“!

3. ArunaRSanthosh

ArunaRSanthosh Platinum IL'ite

EN THANDHAI

When I think about my daddy, I feel my dad is the bestest best (super superlative) dad in the world. My dad was a great follower than a preacher. He use to take the cloth bag whenever he goes out to get grocery, I ask they give plastic bags dont take it dad, but he will say I am telling my students not to use plastic, so I should follow it first then only I can advise them. From that time (9 years back) I still take a jute/ cloth bag whenever I go for shopping. My dad is a professor, he loves gardening, once he was in the veshti and was cleaning the garden, a new neighbor came in and asked my dad thinking him as a servant “Go call the professor, I am a new neighbor”, My dad said please come in sir and introduced himself, that uncle told sorry I thought you are a servant, Till now that uncle will tell about my dad’s humbleness. Another thing I admire my dad is his simplicity, we use to tell him to get branded shirts and pants, but dad will tell how many people in villages and tribal areas don’t have needed dress, we must not waste money on dressing. He voluntarily goes to shops and asks for bit pieces for shirts and pants and goes to the tribal hamlets and gives them. During my parents wedding day or our birthdays we don’t cut cakes or go to hotel instead go to orphanage near our house and provide them lunch and eat along with them, this habit was cultivated by my dad. My dad was a NSS (National service scheme) master in his college, he insisted me to join in NSS in my college. I was the NSS Secretary in my college, as the secretary it is my duty to get vegetables, snacks, etc, and to arrange the chief guests, meet doctors, veterinary persons for the annual camp. I got a great exposure and knew how the life would be in a village and the facilities there; I had an opportunity to know how dad would have lived his life in the village. Then for my work done in NSS, I got the best NSS volunteer award (3 gold medals) in the college, university and Tamil nadu state level. My parents were so happy and proud. When I joined my graduate he told me to pay the telephone and current bills, I went and paid and from that time I switch off unnecessary lights, fan and talk what ever needed in phone. After 2 months my dad told you should know by yourself how much current we waste unnecessarily so only I told you to pay the bills. Being a nature lover he hates wasting resources: tap should be fully closed, no water leakage should be there. After seeing him only I don’t waste water and electricity. Time roll over I joined as a researcher and for the past 4 years I am doing my doctoral studies, 2 years before I got a scholarship to represent south India in UK for a programme on remembrance with Charles Darwin 100th birth anniversary. I had to spend a lakh rupee, but my relatives and neighbours told to my dad don’t waste a lakh rupee, you can get gold for her marriage, but my dad told them her knowledge only will help her in her life, not gold and gave me money and I successfully attended that training. I understood “knowledge is wealth” practically from him. Later my dad got a very good alliance and I am married now and we are blessed with a baby boy 5 months before. My dad was like a dad quoted by thiruvalluvar.
    Thandhai makarkatrum nandri avaiathu
    Mundhiyiruppacheyal

(There may be my achievements written but its all because of my DAD, I dedicate it all to my DAD). I love my dad so much, he means a lot to me in my life. He is my role model in my life, we need your blessings always dad!

4. poornimasiva

poornimasiva Senior IL'ite

DADDY…
    I call him so. I have always been proud of showing and talking about my dad. He is a wonderful man as well as dad. He is a gentleman. Whoever knows him would like him immediately. Im gifted when I talk about dad’s. Dad always gives importance to what we say. He never pushed us to do anything that we did not like to do. Dad is a humble and gentle man, Calm and quiet. But he is not quiet to me and my sis. We four talk the whole night J. We can discuss anything under the sky with dad. He never does our work he just teach us how to do it by ourselves. My sister’s daughter asked my dad to take her cycle and keep it outside for her to play. Dad didn’t do it rather he taught her how to do it herself, This is dad. Once we were 14, he stopped getting stationary for our use rather he gave the exact amount and told us to get it ourselves. He made us realize we are grown up.

DADA, always says study well but never complaints even if I fail or get lesser marks. He would even advise why do you worry now dear you should have done it before your exam and not now. Made me watch my favorite serial before the day of my public exam. I cleared my exam with flying colors he was so happy. Dad never pushes me to what I don’t want to do. He held my offer letter in his hands and I could feel him being proud of me. He made me live my life the way I love it. He trusted us.

It was the day before my sister’s wedding, While I was playing with dad I got hurt and broke my toe’s nails and blood is oozing out. Dad was shocked and sat still at the floor next to me seeing my fingers. He took me to the hospital and I was shouting out of pain when the doctors started cleaning my toes nail. I could see more pain in his eyes. That’s daddy. He feels the pain when we are hurt.

I am a naughty child. I took a copper wire, removed the coil out of insulation and plugged it into the switch board. That’s all, there was a small thud sound and from that minute there was no current at home. My grandma was shocked. The minute when dad came bac home from office she told her. Dad started laughing and took me near him and asked me whether I got a shock or hurt. He got it repaired but haven’t scolded me for doing like that J. But he never complaints

I told dad I was in love. He was shocked and told me it would be difficult for me to lead a life with different religion. But finally he gave up but till the date they accepted dad has never accused me for selecting my man or for putting him into trouble.

We can speak to him of his childhood, comment about why he didn’t fall in love. He is the only one who eats whatever I cook for him with a happy face J
    Dad is wonderful. A superman. A real hero J. Good guardian. I cant tell stories to dad once im married but I’ll store them all for weekend so that we can have a hearty laugh J

5. hemaviki07

hemaviki07 New IL'ite

Father is my GOD

If I want to tell about my father I had to write a long essay from my childhood to till date.

Why I am saying "Father as a god". I will see my father as a gods image.

He was born in a very poor family with two elder brothers, His father died when he was studying high school. He will be going school by walking for 10 kms, His I elder brother will cook and help her mom and my father comes from school and clean the vessels. and there will be no current in their house so he studied under the street light and the road light. after great sufferings he joined in a government office with her qualification.

When he was married he got only 600 rupees as salary but we three members one boy and two daughter. upto my high school we also studied with the chimney lamp he will take yearly one dress and a simple man he never spend for himself and made us - son as a graduate, one daughter as post graduate and one daughter as engineering graduate.

Iam proud and feel happy to be a daughter of my father. so I see my father as gods Image.

6. ananthilax

ananthilax New IL'ite

Yes my father continue to be my role model for many things.
    He was kind, listening to us and mom, caring. Encouraging for everything we did right in life.

Above all one incident make me always feel that my father was a great person.

We were not financial very sound in those days as all other middle class families of TamilNadu in 80's. We used to have shortage during month ends. Many times cut some expenses for festival celebrations. It was very normal condition without any savings.

I was studying in 7th standard. I was on leave as I was not feeling well that day. My father used to come for lunch. I heard his cycle bell in the ground floor parking and went down just like any other kid to see my dad. I saw few kids looks very poor, may be studying in the near by government school (where I was also studying) came and taking pencils and notebooks made of one side used waste papers from office. He was verifying the name from a small list to make sure that the kid is receiving the item after a reasonable time gap. He didn't notice me. I came up quietly, as I understood he never want to disclose this matter to any one. I felt very proud to have such father. In spite of our financial difficulties he was helping others as maximum as possible. He never spoke about this to any one and continued till his death. I am the only one who knows he is helping poor kids in this way for studies till date. Now you all have come to know through this post.

I decided to be like him that day, when you help some one deserving, do it silently. I just felt like sharing it. Not just for the contest.

7. babita1wadhwani

babita1wadhwani New IL'ite

After 17 years I realise my father is my role model

In 1988 I was in Tenth. I was angry with my father because without any fault I got a slap from him . I became angry and not talk with him. In last of 1988 he passed away. somewhere in my heart a anger was there that my father did violence with out any reason with me. Because that day I was watering my plant and my father want to me to do study don't waste time on plant. But I love plant and I did daily this.

The time passed , I grew up and marry . As it was love marriage , I was thinking I am so lucky. But on the path of marriage I find I did mistake in choice of right partner. Day passed and passed one day I ask myself what I want from myself and I make decision of divorce . The family was against me but the life was teaching me a cruel lesson to me. I find the words of my father -- If you are right and true don't thing the world is with you or not . Listen your heart. Everyone was angry with me. In that relation somewhere I find if some more days than a seat will be reserved for me in mental hospital. So decision time . I go with my decision and lost every relation. It was 2005.

The path of life become very difficult as a child was in my lap but my father's words again with me -- if you honest and handwork you will win on every situation. its take time of so long and come out form every situation. Today I am happy and come to know that my father is role model of my life. yes I like Kiran bedi, Bill gates , Mahatma Ghandi , Mother Teresa and my Principals Vaishya mam and Prabharani chudawat . But my father comes in front of my eyes and said -- I teach you in childhood and so you behave I am happy with you.

8. abhinu

abhinu New IL'ite

My Father is my best friend

My father is a fortress protecting me and our family from the wars of the land
    He will keep on saving us time and time again.:drowning
    He is a teacher for me to learn from and to model
    He gives me the strength to navigate life.
    My father is an advisor:idea
    Always available when I am in need
    He'll point me down the firm, solid road :thumbsup

According to me,
    A father is a friend
    To play with, relish and rejoice in.
    He'll bring smiles on your darkest of days

Mothers cry where it shows but fathers can't cry stand and beam outside and die inside.

Salute to all daddy's :bowdown
    Thanks daddy for always being with me!!!!!!
    :thankyou2:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. Nithyagirl

Nithyagirl Bronze IL'ite

The greatest gift I ever had
    Came from God; I call him Dad!

I started writing this article after seeing a classic photo of my father. It was taken in late 80's when bell bottom pants and hair styles completely covering your forehead were the trend. My father posses smartly in that and reminds me of Tamil hero Vishal:). Mom had told me that it was this photo which was given to her parents for alliance and she used to hide it under pillow just to watch it often:wow

Dad was an ordinary mill worker with average income. Mom supported him financially with a decent job. I am the second child for my parents after a son. Friends and relatives used to tell me that I resemble my dad lot in my behaviour and appearance. It made me feel like holding an Oscar:biglaugh:

When we were kids, dad used to feed us every night along with interesting stories. We would forget the world and hear his stories with wide opened mouth.:biggrin2: By the time he finishes his stories the food plate would be empty.:2thumbsup:

Like every other girl, dad is my role model and lifetime hero. He was born along with nine brothers and one sister. Even though there are more than 100 members in our family, my papa is the first person anybody in need of help would approach for.:hatsoff He helped everybody, would it be friends, relatives or neighbours. Paying current bills, buying Jewel or share, searching for a house, legal affairs, financial problems, making arrangements for marriage - :crazy I would wonder is there one single thing left in the world where he has not lend his hands for help.:eek:mg:

He used to call me "Meaw-kutty" and would pinch my little nose when I was kid. The days when he took the three of us to parks, temples, exhibitions in his Bajaj Scooter are the most cherish-able memories for me.

He has now retired from mill but not from his helping activities. One thing for which I would always admire dad is his love for my mom. He loved her more than anyone in the world. Now that they are at the entrance of old age, I can feel that their love for each other have quadrupled. He still loves her, admires her beauty, buys her sarees for birthday, takes her to temples and bhajans and spends quality time with her.:cheers The most adorable thing about my dad is, he is the one who takes care of my mom's old parents. He gives them a lot of moral support.

The first thing that striked my mind when I got married was that I should leave my dad. I could never ever resist that feeling. The tears he shed when I left for my in-laws' house revealed me thousands of untold stories about our relationshiip.

I feel enormously proud in considering my appa as my role model. Now I am 4 months pregnant. I pray god that I should bring up my son as my dad's replica. He should inherit his grandpa's character, bravery, smartness, love for others and care taking. God bless my dad and son.

Regards,
    Nithya :thankyou2:

10. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

This is my entry for the father's day contest.

Mithila

My Father
    My father, my wonderful, unique father , my father who has remained an icon to me to this day...
    Why do I admire him so much? Is it because he was an achiever, Is it because he loved me and my siblings? Is it because he loved my mom?
    No, dear. None of the above mentioned facts were responsible for my admiration of my father.
    My father was not a rich man, he was a middle class family man. He did not even have a house of his own.
    My father was not an achiever, he joined the postal department as a clerk and ended up as the Post Master of the branch by time he retired, thats all.
    My father must have loved my mom, but he never showed his love openly just like most men of his time.
    He loved his children alright, but then every parent loves his children.
    Then why do I consider him my icon? Because my father was a giver. He never shared what he had with others, he just gave away whatever he had to those who needed them. He had a large heart and that is what I admire in this man who expired when I was an eight year old kid.
    After his retirement, my father came to live in his native village down south. He was very happy as he could spend his remaining years with the friends with whom he grew up .
    The neighbourhood kids called him “peppermint thatha”. He had a glass jar full peppermints in the hall cupboard. It gave him great pleasure to see the children enjoying the peppermints. It was my mothers duty to see that the jar was always full. He couldn’t bear to see a hungry man or woman in his presence , even if the person was a total stranger. All were equal before him. He never distinguished between the rich and the poor as far as giving them food was concerned.
    We had a maid called Muniyamma. My father had told everyone at home that no one should refer to her as maid or servant. She had to be referred to by name. Whenever he brought home fruits or sweets, he made sure that it was distributed equally amongst all family members and Muniyamma was included in the list of family members. Once mother made peanut laddoos. She gave two to everybody and one to Muniyamma. My mother paid for her mistake. My father collected all the laddoos from everybody and those in the dabba and threw them in the trashcan on the street.
    For him, his family did not consist of only his wife and his children, within the four walls of his house. For him his family went much beyond boundaries and encompassed the entire world, believe me. He took pleasure in serving people delicious food and enjoyed seeing them relish the meal.
    Whenever there was a wedding or function in anybody’s house, you could see my father there, two days in advance, cutting vegetables in their kitchen, making snacks, welcoming guests, serving them and supervising the lighting. No job was too menial for him.
    My father was one person who would be having Rs.5 in his pocket and lending or giving Rs.10 to a needy person. Yes he often borrowed from money lenders to help someone in need much to my mothers chagrin.
    He lived like a king and died like a king. He who retired as a postmaster and lived on his pension alone and in a rented house.
    He lived like a king because he gave like a king. Whatever he had with him he gave it away.
    He died like a king, surrounded by his family, friends and relatives. The house being decorated with rangoli and flowers as it was his sixtieth birthday.
    My dear father, I am unfortunate because you left this world when i was but a child. I remember your round face and benign smile. I am also unfortunate as I have not inherited any of your noble qualities. I always think and plan for my family, my husband and my children. But I am happy to tell you that my daughters have taken one quality from you. They never fight shy of helping someone in need and they enjoy feeding people . My dear father please bless them and bless my grandchildren that they grow up to be good, kind and caring humanbeings like you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.