Father's Day Special Contest - Is your Father your role model? - June 2011

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avi09

avi09 New IL'ite

Papa(father) I love you a lot! Happy Father's day!

My dad..is a real hero..whose every step toward life i've observed. I tried to follow his footsteps..but really he is a real champ and knows well how to give good life to his family.

The story about his life which my Tayaji(father's elder brother) use to tell me-
    They were all very small when dadaji (papa's father) died. They were very rich but after dadaji's death,things worsened. Papa was very small..in 6th standard.. He joined evening classes of school so as to work in the morning and feed his younger brothers and sister and others in the family..
    He use to go far in the jungle's other side to get milk in bicycle and then started distributing in homes. He never felt that he should not do or this is not his task..
    very hardworking. Slowly and steadily in six years of tym after he arranged to get his sister's wedding and one younger brother wedding done..managed to save money and open a departmental store..
    He worked really hard..got his wedding done..on his own in financial matters and my mom helped him to achieve his dreams. He always took life positively.
    The way i've seen my father
    When I was born and got into senses i started feel how tough his life is..morning 7 o clock to the shop at 11 at night at home..wid less worries and still in the afternoon..giving us plenty of tym to play and make me learn bicycle..wow..
    With his blessings i am so confident always in living my life..am an engineer now working in a reputed MNC and touchwood our family is now among well earning people.
    The day i told him that i like someone and want to marry and that he do not belong to our caste..he didnt utter a word..but happily agreed and make others agreed to this decision.
    He is a man with full of dignity and honor. I have never seen him buy any cloth for him...or anything else..but yes he make sure that my mother,brother,bhabi and me should not be deprived of anything we like. He manages evrthing for us.
    Thank you papa..for so much love, affection and care. Life would not have been so loving and simple without your guidance and support!
    Thanks for always being there..Happy Father's day again!!

LOve you loads!!

-avi

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Is my Dad a role model to me ?? NO. He isnt.

A role model according to me is someone you feel are the BEST. Well, what my Dad first taught me was that No one is the best in this world. Every person has their imperfections and it is ok to make mistakes. So, now does this go away from the Topic ? :)

So, what is my Dad to me.. Well, he is the FIRST MAN I knew of. :thumbsup Someone who actually give me his best alongwith my mom. I cannot see my Dad as different from my Mom. That is what they have made me see of themselves.
    Togetherness. That would be the first lesson, I learnt from them.

He made sure that every opinion at home is a joint one and never a ' Ask Daddy or Ask Mommy ' kind. This attitude of my Dad, the first ever guy I knew made me feel, that the spouse needs to be respected regardless of gender. He never had this male chauvinism and always, or never interrupted when Mom used to assign any work to us. He would simply ask us if we needed help. Such a sweetheart, I know.
    The lesson we learnt here,
    Do your Job well yourself and it is ok to ask for help if you need to. No egos.

He always talked about the things he missed in life and how much he wanted to do his best for me and my sister. Though as kids, we used to tease him about being repetitive, as adults we knew, he just was discussing. He wanted to study and couldnt do so, because of monetary issues, respite being a state rank holder. But, he never forced us into studying or doing anything beyond our caliber. My sister was not so keen on studies and I still remember, he asked her one day, is there anything else you want to do instead of beating her to study. My sister was soo lost and didnt have an answer either, that she forced herself and became a graduate.
    The lesson we learnt here, One doesnt have to force another to do something, simply make them realise what they are missing and the battle is won ! :thumbsup

He wanted me to do Medical while I wanted to get into Dentistry. He asked me why ? When I gave him my naive reasons, he smiled and said, You know you have an ability to convince people with your words. I appreciate that. Though you dont have valid reasons, but, I wouldnt want you to lose this attitude of yours because of me !! I was touched.
    The lesson I learnt here, It is easy to shout and depreciate someone, but appreciating takes them a long way !! :thumbsup

When I spoke about getting married to the person I love, my father was pretty upset. He did not talk to me for a year. Yes ! The saddest year of my life. But, I gave him his time. I know he had to get out of it himself. I cannot force him. But, I knew, he was one of my parent, who taught me to do the right thing.. so, soon he would realize his daughter wasnt wrong. I had to just wait for that day. When it did, and I had to sit in front of him to reason out why ' this ' man .. I said, he is the second best guy I've known after you. That's all. I know I will be happy with him and I thought I deserve to be happy. He smiled said, You must be right. I dont know him but I trust you.
    The lesson I learnt here, be patient and listen, you never know what you get to hear ! :thumbsup

I have learnt my lessons from both my parents.. Enough to lead the rest of my life. But, they are not my role models. They just are reasons I am here. They taught me not to follow anything but, my mind and heart. They gave me the wisdom and told me to use it the BEST. They taught me not to follow anything blindly and to say it is wrong, even when they commit something otherwise. They told me that they are not perfect and will never be so, so I am not going to be clear of imperfections either.

It was an amazing platform to share my views ! Thanks for the space !! :)

P.S - I will call to wish you on Father's Day, Daddy ! I would be too shy to say ' I Love You ', but I will defintely, hug you when I meet you next !

3. ksuyam

ksuyam New IL'ite

Appa,

This one's for you. Are you my role model? Hmmm... You exasperate me with your stubborness,impatience,refusal to use new technology esp computers but I always turn to you when I need help. Got to go out of town for a few days? Appa, can you babysit your grandson? Need savouries for a function, appa can you place the order with your regular supplier....

My earliest memories of you are sitting on my little seat on the bar of your cycle and going for a ride!!! Of crying when you had to go away on official tour. I would pour out my litany of woes and complaints the day you returned and monopolise you. I remember every doll you bought me,every kitchen set you gave and I can never forget the pinch you gave when I kept disturbing you while watching some movie in the theatre. Every scold I got for my silly mistakes in maths are treasured!!!!(now!!! :) ).

You call me on my mobile if you find I'm not at home and I detect the note of panic. Is this the same man who opted for border survey in the North East when the Chinese decided to step in? Who's intuition saved him and his group from being apprehended by the chinese by breaking camp a day early? Is this the same man who got a commendation letter from the then President of India for his border mapping along the western front, braving the harsh Thar desert? Then I rationalise you are now much older and age changes a lot of things. You worry when my husband changes jobs but how did you take the plunge and travel all the way to the North, leaving behind the safety and warmth of family in Chennai, just a pair of altered clothes in your battered suitcase and a smattering of Hindi gleaned from Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand movies? You may wonder how this helped me in my life, it helped me adapt to evey new environment whenever I moved from place to place. Made new friends, saw new places and helped me develop love and respect for my country.

You made it to the one of the top posts of your department and would have gone on to higher posts but age caught up. You made it to the top with your perseverance, sense of duty and honesty. I find echoes of those traits in my own behaviour. Though I wish I had as much staying power as you had!!!

I was so happy when you decided to quit smoking. I hated it when you did. When your relatives would mock you for being a teetotaller, I vowed my husband would be one. I saw how they changed when they drank and that helped me decide. The only vice my husband is to buy magazines by the dozen and refuse to throw them away to the old newspaperman!!!!

Appa, thank you for making me what I am. Most importantly, giving me the ability to see your flaws and correcting myself. Thank you.

4. shameema

shameema Senior IL'ite

Dear IL Teacm,
    Such a wonderful topic. It's a must that Father's Day should be honoured for they have spend all their energy and money in making us what we are now.

My Dad to be very frank was quite short tempered. Cos' he had lot of responsibilities to take care of, with his meagre income - his own family as well as his parents, brothers & sisters. I remember on any special occasions or funtions he used to see that we are having eveything new, but for himself he used to ignore, for the fact that his income does not permit him to do so. Despite his low income, he gave us the best food, best education and best medication. He never took care of his health, but always made sure to get what we required. When in teens, especially in our college days our (myself, my brother & sister) requirements were quite above his expectations. To a certain extent he decided to make our ends meet. When looking back, I feel so bad. He was always worried about our education & when the expenses went up, he used to lose his temper. But he had a very understanding wife, my mom, who was always supportive.

Now, all three of us are married, employed and settled. All these credit goes to them. Even now in his old age, he wants us to be happy and is still working to get something or the other for us & his grand childrens. A person of high esteem, he never expects anything from us. He still works, so that he is not indebted to anybody, even to his own children. For instance, if we give him something, especially in cash out of love, he inreturn gives us something more. That's my Dad. I wish him a long life & good health.

Thankyou IL once again, for expressing my love towards Dad on the very special day.
    A Happy Father's Day to all those great Fathers.

5. Anjali113

Anjali113 New IL'ite

“The greatest gift I ever had Came from God; I call him Dad!”
    - Anonymous
    I wonder why there is just one day in a year to celebrate as Father’s Day. According to me, everyday is Father’s Day. My father is my foundation. It is he who has made me what I am today. He has always been the continuous source of inspiration for me. He always encouraged me to progress further. I still the remember the spark of happiness and contentment in his eyes when I cracked my B.Ed. entrance exam with astonishing rank. Very proudly he would say among his friends, relatives and colleagues – my daughter is the topper. That day I decided that I would work even harder to bring more pride to my father’s name.

It is said that children are the reflection of their parents. If that is true, I am a clear reflection of my father. Although there is no need to mention it here, but we both are Pisceans. So, certain behavioural traits, such as compassion, introvert nature, politeness and altruism, are common to both of us. I have inherited all these qualities from my father and perceive myself as a worthy individual because of them.

My father is not just perfect in his role as a parent but he is also a good human being. He is a member of various welfare organizations and is actively involved in human care activities. The best thing about him is that he puts his nationalistic duty at forefront whenever situation demands. He had been at a very high post in the electricity department for many years, but he always treated his subordinates with respect. Being a government official, he never accepted any bribe or even a box of sweets from people. He believes in the policy of honesty and has inculcated the same value in his children.

My father is a role model for me. He has been holding and will always hold a revered place in my heart.

@ Papa, I have never said all these things to you personally, but I really mean them. I owe my life to you. For me, everyday is Father’s Day and I do not need to wait for June 19 to celebrate it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. PPVR

PPVR New IL'ite

my father- he was a wonderful person

My father tought us' Change what you can and accept what you can't and more importantly know the difference.'
    this has helped me to deal with my family, co workers, in laws and more importantly my DH!
    He has given me the boldness to express my opinion but the humility accept the collective decision and do what even that needs to be done cheerfully and without tension.
    My father- he always lead by example. he never confused his official status as chief in the office with his status as the head of the family.My mother was not highly educated, but he respected her opinion, treatedher with respect ,and always consulted her views before taking any decision,be it sending us on a school picnic, or buying a house or what ever..
    He believed that' when we cut down our requirement to the minimum and expectations from others to nil', we can lead a life of satisfaction and contentment and happiness
    I can say with confidence that me and my siblings are a happy and contented lot, sharing caring and giving and I almost fully attribute it to my father and mother.for giving us such good values in life.

7. lataraj

lataraj New IL'ite

Is your Father your role model?

ENTE ACHEN...........My father is a very special person.When i think about him the one word which comes to my mind is CARING.I don't think anybody can take care of me the way he does.I don't remember he hitting me or my brother even once when we were growing up.He tackled everything through love.I still remember how stubborn i was before marriage but still he wouldn't loose his cool.When i was in college[mind my age] while going through a magazine i saw this ad of a particular biscuit and wanted to have it very badly.So i went up to him with the magazine without my mother's knowledge and asked him whether he can get it for me in the evening on the way back from office.He told me to write the name in a piece of paper and give.I was so elated to get it from him in the evening.this is a very small incident but he went out all the way to make me happy without even minding my age at that time.I thought only my father can do things like this.After getting married i found it too difficult to adjust bec i forgot to realise that there is only one person like him in the world and that is he himself.Now i'm in my late 40's but still my father thinks i look the best among the crowd.He is in his 80's now and i celebrate father's day everyday.I always pray for his good health and peaceful existance as long as he is there with me.I thank god every single day for blessing me with a father like him.The most selfless person as far as my affairs are concerned........ENTE ACHAN My father.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. priyasaki

priyasaki Gold IL'ite

I have not written any stories or blogs in my life. But after seeing the title I thought of writing about my father… Here it goes….

I admire my father’s responsibility towards family. Being the eldest son in the family with six brothers and one sister, he has sacrificed the first part of his life for his siblings. His mom became a hysteria patient when he was 10yrs old, from that time he has taken the sole responsibility of the entire family.

I admire his hard work. His office timings was from 7am to 4pm, after that he goes directly to a financial company to look after accounts until 8pm. After everyone sleeps he will work in the small scale company run by our family members. After completing all the work, he doesn’t even have the strength to press the calling bell to wake my mom, he will sleep on a sack in front of the house. In my younger age I don’t even remember seeing him in our house. I was always kept busy by my aunty and uncles so that I haven’t searched for him. Can a person work like this for the whole day? ...I still wonder...

I admire his sincerity. In his school days, he use to put newspapers in his locality and with that money he will get his textbooks. My grandpa didn’t had enough money to send him to college, So he was forced to go to job after completing PUC. He worked for a company and also completed his degree in evening college. He used to say me “I just needed Rs2000 to join in BE (Civil), no one was there to help me. But I am here for you, Study whatever you want in your life”.

He has given me the freedom in everything, he has forced me not even once in my life. He gave me the freedom to choose the school when I was at the age of fourteen itself. When I was recruited by a reputed s/w company in my UG degree, he was the only one who said “Do your PG degree, I am here to earn for you”. But when I said “No, I don’t want to miss the opportunity”, again he gave me the freedom. He said with a smiling face” It’s your life; you have to choose the path”. I wonder will I give the same freedom to my kids at that age?..

He has extreme sincerity in whatever he does. He holds the first place for performance in the organization which he works, for the past three years. Wherever I go I can hear people saying, “Are you his daughter? ...You are gifted; we can’t see another person like your dad in our life”. It’s true my dad is special to everyone...

Not even once my dad has given food to me with his fingers. He has not helped me in getting ready to school, he has not plaited my hairs, he has not helped me in putting shoes, he has not helped me in my lessons and not tapped me to sleep. But still my dad is special to me.

I admire everything in himand I am proud of him.

I have to make my dad proud of me in all the situations. This is the only thing I can do for that great person in my life...

9. sadhanav

sadhanav New IL'ite

To my dearest Father,

You held me in your arms when all I could do was cry..
    You held my arms and helped me take the first few steps in life..
    You taught me how life is the biggest teacher of all..
    You taught me how not all that glitters is gold..
    You speak to me when I most need company..
    Your silence too, conveys its special messages to me..
    You are the best, my dad dearest ! For teaching me to live life to its fullest!!

10. Rimpygupta

Rimpygupta New IL'ite

I am really thankful to Indus Ladies.com for giving me an opportunity to thank my father for all his luv,care and effection that he has shown me over the years.

actually i m not very concerned about this role model thing and to be very frank i never thought my father as my role model or sumthing really great .but over the years this relation has really evolved. May be my feelings for my father has gone under change after i got my son.Earlier i always thougt that being a girl i m not getting that much affection and luv of papa as my brother was getting. But after being a wife nd mother i understood that i was wrong. Papa was always there for me whenever i needed him. May be my parents were over protective but they were never commanding. They gave me my options,my choices and always helped me in choosing the best out of them.

i think kids r never able to understand the parents luv on time.but i m happy that after so many years of my internal struggle today i can understand that my parents did everything that was gud for me. Especially my father who i know luves me much much more than my brother.

Today i m a happy person nd really missing my father a lot nd wants to go flying to him and celebrate this fathers day with him.May God fulfill my wish and i can celebrate this special day with the very special person in my life,my darling papa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.