1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Father-in-law and son-in-law don't speak to each other

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shari2003, Dec 5, 2014.

1. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I would like to seek your suggestions regarding an issue that my aunt is facing now.

My aunt is married for around 27 years now and have a 24 year old daughter. Uncle and aunt lead have small silly fights in between, yet, carry on ok.

My cousin got married about 2 years back (arranged marriage), but cousin's husband and my uncle don't talk much to each other. No fights happened between them, yet, my uncle does not talk much to his SIL and spends his day watching television or reading on his own when the SIL is at home. The SIL finds it quite awkward and reads it as uncle doesn't like him.

My cousin delivered a cute, yet fussy son a month back. The naming ceremony of the baby was held last week. Cousin's husband insists on taking cousin and baby back to his house after the 41st day post delivery, so as to avoid facing uncle everyday. But, my cousin is not yet prepared to handle the sleepless nights and looking after the baby on her own as yet. The baby gives too many sleepless nights, about 2-3 in a row. Aunt wants my cousin to stay back until teh 60th day or so, and then leave to her in-laws.

A few months back, my uncle spoke to me saying the SIL doesnt speak to him at all and his daughter too doesnt speak much. As is I have noticed that aunt and cousin always team up as a unit and uncle is left aloof.

Yesterday, my aunt says SIL told cousin tht uncle feels uncomfortable when he's there and doesn't like him, and he wants to see the baby everyday. So, my cousin should move back to in-laws place. She asked me how she could get uncle to change himself a bit and become more accommodating? Aunt and cousin have spoken to uncle already, but, that ended in a huge fight and uncle became even more aloof. Please suggest, and am sorry for the long post.

2. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

There is no animosity between them. Both complain the same, means both yearn to associate just like other family members.

At this age your Uncle wouldn't want to hear anybody advising him to accommodate. Though the responsibility lies on him to be accommodating since his Son in law has newly joined the family.

May be your cousin's Husband can be advised to strike up a conversation when he meets him and be little cordial that the FIL might eventually open up.

Once they both get to know each other, things will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Just inform SIL what the FIL told about him.May be that could help the SIL understand him better.Refer whether your uncle has any hearing problem.Some men develop this with age and they generally become a loner (they wont accept thier problem).

1 person likes this.