1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Fatal Distraction: A must read for parents

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Gauri03, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Fatal Distraction (article link) is a Pulitzer winning feature by Gene Weingarten that was published in The Washington Post last year. It won the 2010 Pulitzer for feature writing yesterday.

The article is a brilliantly written piece about parents who forget their infants and sleeping toddlers in cars during the hot spring and summer months leading to fatal consequences. I sobbed through five pages of the most fascinating, disturbing and heartbreaking pieces of human-interest journalism I've ever read.

I know a lot of people out there will say "what kind of parent forgets a child in a car?" I thought the same before I started reading. But by the end I didn't know who I felt worse for, the children who died or the parents who will never escape their own personal hell.

I encourage every parent and those who intend to be parents to find the time to read this article. Incredibly moving!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Gauri, I couldn't make it past the first page. It is indeed heartbreaking and I cried so much, both for the little ones as well as the parents who are condemned to a lifetime of horrific guilt

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Gauri, I've read that article. It happens to all of us.
    "The wealthy do, it turns out. And the poor, and the middle class. Parents of all ages and ethnicities do it. Mothers are just as likely to do it as fathers. It happens to the chronically absent-minded and to the fanatically organized, to the college-educated and to the marginally literate. In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist."
    Even if not with such catastrophic results, how many of us forget about our children's best interest in the pursuit of so many things - worldly and otherwise.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Gauri, everytime the heat goes up, I am reminded of these kind of incidences - it is unbearable. This and accidentally running over a child while backing up the drive way - it is unimaginable turmoil even to read, can't imagine what happens to people who go through it.

Filmed on the same lines but a little different is the movie "seven pounds" starring Will Smith. One must watch the movie - it will change you forever. I could not get over the movie for the longest time and still brings jitters.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Srama, I will try to look up 7 pounds though I am not sure I can handle another movie/story about children suffering. That article has haunted me for the last 3 days. It is quite simply the worst thing I have ever read :(. That one sentence in the middle of the article... about the little girl who had pulled out all her hair out by the end. Just typing it here is making me choke back tears.

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Gauri, I totally understand. These kind of news haunts us for a long time. seven pounds is not about children, so don't worry but watch it. Very well made movie, you will not regret watching.