Fasting food for Shravan month

Discussion in 'Western India' started by sejalmodi, Aug 8, 2009.

1. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

The holy month of Shravan (till mid August) heralds a season of prayer, fasting, and various festivals.While Shravan falls during the peak monsoon season, it is also the time for festivals like Nag Panchami, Dahi Handi, Raksha Bandhan, Paryushan and Ganeshotsav. :bowdown

People avoid non-vegetarian food and abstain from drinking alcohol. There are many devout Hindus, Jains and Gujaratis who are very particular about food during this month. While some eat a single meal, some avoid food which contains onion and garlic and still others eat food without salt.

Some are of the view that restriction in diet is to avoid diseases during the monsoon season. Some fast the entire month, eating fruits, roots, tubes, milk and milk products and avoid grains. But sometimes a little innovation can make the fasting foods interesting and break monotony.

Do you also fast during Shravan Mahina? Please share interesting fasting food recipes.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sejal

Thanks alot for this useful information...I am fasting on mondays and except for that prasad, I dont eat anything cooked..I take only fruits, juices and milk

3. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Hi SriVidya, is this fast of yours on Mondays especially for the Shravan month. I'd like to know if rituals during Shravan month is practised in other parts of India as well other than the western states.
    Which is your favorite fasting food?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Hi Sejal,

I know i am late but still 2 days left.

My favourite is sabodana vada with coconut + curd chutney

I do Mondays, bod chauth, sitla satam (both) janamasthami and sama pacham also.

5. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Hey! Only this many people fasting? :coffee
    Hi Poonam, even sabudana vada is prepared in our home as the fasting food. How do you make them? Any innovation?

Here's sharing with you all another Sabudana (sago) recipe as fasting food.

Minted Sabudana salad

Time: 1 hour
    Serves: 4

1 cup mint
    2 green chillies
    1 cup chaas (buttermilk)
    ½ cup sago or sabudana
    1 cup assorted fruit (citrus fruit like grapefruit or orange, pineapple etc)
    ½ cup pomegranate
    Handful raisins
    Rock or Black salt to taste

Place mint, salt buttermilk and chillies in blender and blend well. Transfer this to a bowl, add sabudana and allow to stand for an hour. After and hour, steam sabudana lightly and transfer to bowl, allow to cool. Add fruit and raisins toss well and serve.

Any more sabudna recipes?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">