Fast/easy mushroom gravy

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by tashidelek2002, Jun 21, 2015.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Preamble:
    I had been planning to make kebabs and bought this rack that hold skewers which can be used on a barbeque grill. Last night I decided to try seekh kebabs on these skewers and back it in the convection oven on roast setting. I looked up some fancy schmancy recipe from a book I have from Welcome Group chefs and cut a lot of corners in the preparation. Essentially I took the mutton keema and dumped in everything else (masala, besan, yogurt, etc) and beat the hell out of it with the paddle on my Kitchenaid mixer. I then made the regular kebab torpedo shape on those skewers and popped it into the oven at 400F and went into the other room. After a few minutes I went back to check them and they had melted right off the skewers and were laying in puddles at the bottom of the pan. Disgusted I went into the living room and watched some television and needless to say they were dried out when I checked again. Well I ate a couple with some raita and some naan and put the rest away in the fridge. Today I was trying to think of a way to soften up these kebabs and I ended up making a thick easy mushroom gravy that ended up being quite good. I cut up a couple kebabs and threw the pieces in the gravy as it was finishing and it softened up nicely. BTW the kebab recipe was only fair...shame on you Welcome Group.

Mushroom gravy:
    wash and then finely chop mushrooms in a food processor or mini chopper: USA the small box India 1-2 packs
    Melt a big tablespoon of butter in a pan and cook the chopped mushrooms and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper in that until the mushrooms are looking cooked. Salt to taste. Stir in 3 T of flour/maida and stir and cook the floor a little. Now stir in milk (this is essentially a white sauce base) and adjust milk depending on how strong you want the mushroom taste to be. Throw in the cut up kebabs and reheat. You can also throw in instead other koftas or some veg...you decide.