Farmers Market in Austin

Discussion in 'Indians in Austin' started by lucky_bandi, Dec 26, 2008.

1. lucky_bandi

lucky_bandi New IL'ite

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me the location of farmers market in Austin where we can find all indian vegetables.

Thanks in advance

2. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

Hi,

Me too wonder the same...are there any Farmers market in Austin at all?

I keep hearing from friends in Florida, Michigan and other states that they get all fresh vegetables in Farmers market, including drumsticks, drumstick leaves, plantain flower, etc.

Would be nice if there is something like that in Austin too.

Regards,
    Vani

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

lucky and vani

Can you guys tell me what exactly you mean when you say "Indian vegetables"? I may be able to help you if you tell me that!

4. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

Peartree,

What atleast I meant by "Indian Vegetables" is Drumsticks, Drumstick leaves, Plantain flower, Raw Plantain, Indian egg-plant (those tiny ones).

BTW, you might be thinking you get these in Indian Grocery stores. But I have heard they are fresh and very inexpensive in Farmers market because they are brought straight to the market by those who produce it.

Regards,
    Vani

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Vani

I usually buy vegetables from Fiesta Mart, it is a Mexican grocery store and I mostly find all vegetables we get back home there. Of course, I have never seen drumsticks but other vegetables like Raw plantain, radish, ridge gourd, bottle gourd, red pumpkin (what they call parangikkai in Tamizh) etc., I have even seen banana leaves and betel leaves! I usually get the small kind of chillies (green chili that we get in India) from there. I find that vegetables are pretty inexpensive when compared to HEB etc. You might want to try that. Murungakkai (Drumstick) I always buy frozen from the Indian store.

One of my friends told me that there's Chinese grocery stores in Lamar where you can find Indian vegetables like pumpkin etc.