1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Farewells And Cherished Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

S
    :hello:Verbatim I agree.
    Thanks and Regards
    God might allow us carry memory to next birth seldom.

Afresh, Amulet and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,

This can wait. Take care and bounce back.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

Dear Amulet,

Thanks for this interesting reply.

Do you really think so?

Two years ago when I started blogging on another forum where most members are accomplished senior citizens, I was treated like kiddo, with a lot of affection. When I interacted with them, at first I assumed that they had accomplished everything they aspired in life and they were simply passing time writing about anything and everything that caught their fancy/hobby/passion. But after interacting a little more and getting to know them well I realised what pains they (many of them) carried in their hearts yet how beautifully they displayed a cheerful persona online and a will to live the remainder of their lives creatively and peacefully. I too used to do that but with a lot of self-pity and constantly wondering, why????

Now I don't wallow in self-pity and I (almost) never ask, "Why or why me?" It is a mental framework I am working on. But...since I am the sensitive and sentimental kind, I revisit those 'alphabets' once a way and wonder, kahan gaye woh log?

Thanks for your best wishes, I need them.:grinning:

"Memory is the faculty of the brain by which information is encoded, stored, and retrieved when needed.

Memory is vital to experiences, it is the retention of information over time for the purpose of influencing future action.[1] If we could not remember past events, we could not learn or develop language, relationships, or personal identity." (Wikipedia)

We remember every event that made us joyful or sad in a big way. Sometimes we miss even some insignificant people or things because they were parts of the jigsaw puzzle/our life and contributed to whatever experience we went through and thus we committed all these together to our memory system. The way we process the events and memories is strictly according to our Karma. But we can choose to proactively disengage ourselves and move on or stay back there and build our miseries. Do I make sense?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Does this happen only in desi forums ? Where 60-somethings decide they are done, have had their day, and now it is all going to be the same day, repeated over and over, if they are lucky enough..etc...etc..
    Girls, especially the ones over 60, should learn to keep quiet about that age/senior thing, and think about getting a new Harley Davidson motorcycle, or at least a Honda, and some leather outfits for touring. Wouldn't that be a sweet thing ?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @messedup
    I will write later, much later in the series.
    There are some posts about this already in the Futurology thread, if you are interested.
    Futurology

GeetaKashyap and messedup like this.
  6. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

One more beautiful piece from my favorite writer in IL.. :)
    This article reminded me of my friends with whom I have lost touch with. Either we fought or lost contact or didn't bother much to stay in touch once we were able to see each other in social media platform .. In any case at one point they have been the real important person in my life... :blush:

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Ha ha .. thank you @Thyagarajan Sir!
    This I deem to be big complement sir!
    Maybe i ma learning here now :)

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

60 is a major benchmark in an Indian commoner's life-
    Retirement,
    Marriage of 30+ years,
    Grown up children+their spouses+grandkids,
    Health issues,
    Loss of spouse,
    Loss of steady income...
    The list is long. At 60+ many things take their toll. Society and its expectations also play a role. Don't forget, we are the acclaimed vendors of spirituality to the rest of the world.:grinning:

After years of looking outwards, people feel the need to look inwards for some outstanding or unresolved mental or spiritual requirements. For some this need arrives a little too early.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your suggestion. When I reach 60, if my limbs are still working, I shall try your suggestion. It would be a privilege then to have a knowledgeable friend like you as my navigator cum guide! Would you accept my offer?

shravs3, kkrish, messedup and 3 others like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

Friends are important and they are integral to our mental development. As the needs change, we change our friends too. Irrespective of their current locations, we will always have a special place for them in our hearts. Thank you, dear Anusha, for your nice feedback.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Geeta, that's a wonderful write up. Some of us remember old friends more vividly than they remember us. I don't know why. We have recently found our old classmates, thanks to Facebook and Whatsapp. All it takes is one or two individuals and then the group grows. Some needed pictures to remember who the person was. Others remember classmates and gasp over the 'quantity' of classmate that is now seen on photographs. Some tomboyish girls have turned into such girly-girly women (if you know what I mean), it seems hard to associate them with the classmate of yore. It's been an exciting journey. Actually I could not make really 'buddy-buddy' friends in school. Except for two girls - one of them is lost (she married her own cousin who was my teacher in college). So she is reachable, but she does not respond. The other one has been re-found - she went missing after I got married and I tried to find her in so many ways, but could not. Finally found her on Linked in. It's good to be able to talk to some of them now - they are more relatable at this stage of life; others remain just as impossible to connect with. Strangely there was an issue on the Whats App group with some "A" division "girls" protesting against the inclusion of the "B" division "girls". That came as something of a shock - the immaturity has still not left some.

As for friends who part, I recently wrote about a life long friend whom I know since my early teens who suddenly decided a few months ago that 'we' had grown apart in recent times - her assessment, not mine. Well, here I think I accept the karmic theory. We had some karmic stuff to be fulfilled, which is now over and done, at least for her. I still dream of meeting her off and on. I hope I move forward too very soon.

This topic is always so emotional. I could not deal with it yesterday, when my brain had basically shut down except to keep screaming out in pain and exhaustion. So sorry for not responding yesterday itself.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    cheenu123 and GeetaKashyap like this.