Famous Temples of Delhi

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Delhi' started by sushmasrivastav, Jan 17, 2010.

1. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

It seemed as if I left behind all my material interests, when I entered the sacred shrine of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Akshardham</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place>. We were needed to put off our shoes and leather accessories. We were also required to leave behind our cell phones as a security measure adopted by the temple authorities.

As I walked on the holy pavement, I felt as if it reflected the sanctity of this eminent temple at the core of its heart. Wherever I gazed I was overwhelmed to see immense beauty abundantly sprawled all around me. The ornate domes, exquisitely carved pillars, quadrangled shikhars and the pink and white attire mesmerized me.

2. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

The Kali Mandir in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Chittaranjan</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> is a famous temple in C.R.Park. The mandir complex houses three mandirs namely –the Shiv Mandir, the Kali Mandir and the Radha Krishna Mandir.
    The mandir complex is a boon to the Bengali community living in and around Alakananda- C.R.Park. area. The Kali Mandir celeberates almost all important Bengali festivals from Saraswati Puja to the Laxmi Puja and the Bipat tarini Puja. Of course, the <st1:City w:st="on">high point</st1:City> of the festival calendar is the Durga Puja which attracts thousands of devotees from all over <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>.
    I would like other ILites to share their experece of the Kali Mandir in C.R.Park.

3. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

One of the oldest Jain Mandir in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> is the Digamber Jain Mandir which is situated right opposite the Red Fort. Since the temple is painted “red” it is also called the Lal Mandir. The temple was originally built in 1526, and has been modified many times.
    The main shrine in the Digamber Jain Mandir is dedicated to Lord Mahavira, who was the 24th Tirthankara. The temple also has the statue of Lord Adinath, who was the first Tirthankara of the Jain religion as well as the statue of Lord Parasnath who preceded Lord Mahavira. The temple complex also houses a book shop selling religious literature.

4. sweetsanjam

sweetsanjam Senior IL'ite

The write up on the Digamber Jain Mandir was a good read. In fact the Mandir is known for the famous Bird Hospital in its compound. People are known to bring injured birds to this Bird Hospital from afar. The injured birds are tended to and nursed in enclosures till they are fit to fly away.The Bird Hospital makes the Digamber Jain Mandir in Delhi a unique temple indeed.

5. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Bandana
    I once visited the C.R.Park Kali Mandir just before the Durga Puja. Apparently, it is a tradition among all the Durga Puja Samitis in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> to hold singing, recitation, painting, quiz and Antakshari competitions. This provides a forum to the children and teenagers to show off their talent.
    The Kali Mandir competitions are the biggest and most awaited in C.R.Park. It is held in the evening on the steps behind the mandir with the audience sitting in chairs on the big ground in front.
    I have heard that the Kali Mandir Puja Committee regularly donates money to social welfare organizations.
    :)

6. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> mesmerizes me. It looks like a half floating lotus set amidst pools and garden. The petals are made of white marbles. It can be regarded as one of the marvels of modern architecture.

This <st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> is the only Bahai Temple of Worship in <st1:place>Asia</st1:place>. The temple appeals to me because it does not have any idol of any deity or God. It has a prayer hall where followers of all religions can meditate.

The <st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> was built during 1980 to 1986. It is believed to have cost around Rs 10 million. This is considered as an architectural masterpiece of the 20<SUP>th</SUP> century.

7. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Anandi, you are right. The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> indeed is a mesmerizing place. It conducts unique prayer sessions that recite teachings from all the religions for approximately two hours.

The prayer timings are <st1:time Hour="10" Minute="0">10am</st1:time> to 10-15am, <st1:time Hour="12" Minute="0">12 noon</st1:time> to 12-15pm, <st1:time Hour="15" Minute="0">3pm</st1:time> to 3-15pm, <st1:time Hour="17" Minute="0">5pm</st1:time> to 5-15pm. Evening is the best time for visiting the Lotus Temple. Evenings offer an exotic view of the temple that glitters like diamond.

I love visiting the information center that offers knowledge about the various facets of the Bahai Faith in the form of texts, photographs and films.

I find the spiritual aroma of the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> unparalleled. It is the last of the seven major Bahai Temples built all over the world.

8. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> lies to the east of Hauz Khaus. It is also known as Bahai Mashriqul-Adhkar. This lotus-shaped shrine came into being as a spiritual haven in December 1986. I had just entered my teens at that time. I witnessed the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> carving itself on the consciousness of the capital city’s inhabitants. It inspired our imagination, fuelled our curiosity and remodeled the definition of worship.

The <st1:place><st1:placeName>Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> was designed by architect Fariburz Sabha. The serenity of this temple has always appealed to me greatly. It nestles amidst a picturesque surrounding that has emerald pools and lush green gardens.

9. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

The New Delhi Kali Bari Mandir is located near the Laxmi Narayan Mandir on Mandir Marg in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. It is one of the oldest and most famous Kali Mandirs’ of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. Besides the Kali Mandir, the temple has a Shiv mandir , a guest house with dormitory accommodation as well as a fine Library.

Ever since its inception, the temple quickly became a socio-cultural centre for the Bengali community in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. The Durga Puja and Kali Puja celebrations are organized in the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City> in a big way. Incidentally, it is said that liquor is offered to the Goddess during Kali Puja.

10. Supri

Supri Silver IL'ite

Thanks all of u on that informative output about the temples of Delhi. Shefali mentions that the temple of Kalkaji is 3000 thousand years old. Wow!! However if the Pandavas worshipped there then it must be older than that, perhaps 5000 yrs cos The period of the Mahabharatha war is said to be 5000 yrs ago.