Famous Banedi Bari Durga Pujas

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by shaliniku, Sep 8, 2009.

1. raginisharma

raginisharma Senior IL'ite

A ritual called “Kanakanjali” is performed at Shovabazar Rajbari. Gold coins dating to Akbar’s reign are thrown at married women who are mothers.

Tarpan (a ritual performed to let the dead ancestors know of the Puja) is performed on Dashami in the morning. The Bisarjan (Immersion) Ceremony takes place in the evening. The Bisarjan Ceremony is a grand affair. Women dress in red-bordered white sarees while men wear dhotis. Seven golden umbrellas are carried.

Two Nilkantha birds are released in the open sky. The myth behind this is interesting. The first Nilkantha is set free to reach Kailash and convey the news of Ma Durga’s departure for Kailash to Lord Shiva. The second bird is set free in the middle of the river to make sure that the message gets conveyed in case the first bird fails for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

An interesting piece of information. I am very much impressed by your thread.

3. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

The Durga Puja of the Saborno family is famous for the traditional rituals and great devotional intensity. The old wooden framework of the Durga idol still exists along with the three “Chalchitra” or intricately designed backgrounds. The family had a ritual of Kumari Puja in earlier days. The Saborno family had no rituals of ‘Nilkantho”.

Kumari Puja was performed at Birati Bari and Baro Bari. Sacrifice of goats and buffaloes are an existing ritual of the family puja. Gourd, sugarcane and “mashbhokto” (combination of rice, banana, cloves and ghee) are also offered for sacrifice. Devi Durga is worshipped in her “Chamunda” form during “Sandhi Puja”. Sandhi Puja is offered at the time when Ashtami ends and Nabami begins.

4. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

The Mullick Bari Durga Puja was initiated at the time of Nawab Husen Shah of Bengal nearly around the 15th century AD. Suratha pioneered the puja at Shrikhanda.

In the 19th century, the puja, was shifted to the Masjid Bari Street of Kolkata by, Ishwar Chandra Mullick. Later the Mullicks settled in Bhowanipur. The Durgapuja is held at their Bhowanipur residence since 1925.

The idol is worshipped here in the “ekchala” form. There are two different places at Mullick Bari where the puja rituals are performed. One is the “Durga Dalan” and the other is the “Annapurna Dalan”.

Have you ever visited this puja?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

On Dashami, the Saborno family members take the idol for immersion at Babughat. Before the immersion, a ritual is performed. The mirror image of Devi Durga is seen in a tub full of water, which is placed in front of the deity.

Many years back, the immersion of the Goddess was done in Karunamayi at Tollygunje. After the immersion, the priest visits all “shorik”s (nuclear families) of the Roy Chowdhury family and sprinkle “shantir jol” or holy water.

I had the chance to visit the Saborno Durga Puja a couple of years back. I was mesmerized by the ambience. I would like to visit this puja this year.

6. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

I have a friend living at Mullick Bari and I often visit this puja.

The Mullicks are basically Vaishnavs and hence they practice no rituals of animal or vegetable sacrifice. The “patua”s of Bhowanipur have a long tradition of making the Durga idol for the Mullicks.

The family has vegetarian food from Shashthi to Nabami and they have non-veg food only after the immersion of the idol. Rice offerings to the Goddess are prohibited and preparations of wheat are offered. After the “bisarjan” or immersion, the eldest family member serves “siddhi” to the rest of the family and blesses them with “ashtadurba” or eight varieties of grasses.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  7. shreyasi

shreyasi New IL'ite

In the coming Puja,I am planning to visit the Old Traditional Pujas in the BANEDI BARI ... which is within Kolkata and also at the close viciniy and motorable distances form the City ....

Can you please help me by letting me know what are the exact locations of these Houses (It'll also be helpful if you also tell me the name of the Houses as well )...

If possible also provide me a Route Map or Planning that where to start and waht will be the ending point .... I'll visit this places with my own car ... so I want to cover almost all or the most of the places in a Day

I am planning to vist within Kolkata on Saptami ... and out skirts of Kolkata on Nabami ....

Looking forward for your responses ...:)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  8. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

The Durga Puja of Chorbagan Seal family is renowned. History stands witness to this puja that was started about 150 years ago by Babu Ram Chand Seal. He shifted to Calcutta in the year 1849, from Gutiabazar of Hooghly, and acquired properties at Chorbagan.

Babu Ram Chand Seal was a prosperous businessperson and he imported clothes from Manchester. He exported rice, vermillion and mercury to various countries in South-East Asia.

He was a pious man. He was a devotee of a religious master whom he called “Gurudev”.
    He, at the inspiration of his second wife, Khatramani Dassi, organized Durgapuja for the first time, at his Gurudev’s residence at Goswami Lane, Bagbazar in Calcutta.

9. raginisharma

raginisharma Senior IL'ite

The Laha Bari Durga Puja, one of the famous Pujas of Kolkata, started some 170 years ago. Some say this puja was started by Ishwar Pran Krishna Low (Laha). Others say it was Sri Rajiblochan Low, Pran Krishna’s father, who had started the puja some 200 years ago. It is believed that the Goddess came in his dreams and asked him to perform Durgapuja.

Devi Durga has a unique form in Laha Bari. The Goddess is seen here in the arms of Lord Shiva and her eyes are closed. It is believed that Ma Durga has bestowed a lot of wealth to the Low (Laha) family.

The rituals start on the morning of Saptami, when the family idol Jaya Jaya Maa arrives at the “Natmandir”.

10. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

The Pathuriaghata Durga Puja is more than 160 years old. It was initiated by Ishwar Ram Lochan Ghosh. The idol is of “tin-chaala” pattern. It is a “Sabeki” or traditional style idol, which is decorated with “Daker Saaj”.

The Lion is white in color with a black mane. It has the face of a horse. The “Kathamo” or the framework of the idol is worshipped on the day of Rathayatra. The “dhaki”s and artists are from families with the same lineage. Earlier, sacrifice of goats was an important feature of the puja. About 80 years ago, a member of the family miraculously survived from a severe illness. The ritual of sacrifice was stopped following that miracle.