1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Faith Can Be Risky But..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Mar 13, 2022.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Faith can be Risky but..

The other day, someone told me about Faith. He was a child at that time. The family had gone to their Guru’s Ashram. The family has immense Faith in their Guru. His father fell Sick and a heart doctor in the Ashram, one of the devotees, diagnosed it a heart issue and suggested shifting him to a specialized hospital in a nearby town immediately. But his mother refused by saying that whatever has to happen will happen and should happen in the Charanon (feet) of the Guru. The Guru asked his disciples to start non-stop ‘Mahamritunjaya Mantra’. The doctor arranged for some medicines and in a week or so his father recovered. The mother thanked the Guru and appreciated the doctor.

The question now arises, who cured the patient- the Mantra or the Medicines? What if neither worked and the patient died?

Faith can cost something and yet one continues to believe. Many a time, it has been proved that Faith can be fatal yet we do not stop believing in what we believe.

There is no faith without risk – if it’s a sure thing then there is no faith. In this case, if the doctor had said that the patient cannot be saved, then what? The Guru could have still asked his disciples to go ahead with the chanting of the Mantra. If the patient survived, the Faith wins, if not the Faith still wins for the peaceful end. Head I win, tail you lose?

We can say God helps those who help themselves, meaning thereby that one should not lose faith in God but should make all possible efforts to come out of the situation.

What do you say? I think Faith without efforts for the possible resolution of the problem is Blind Faith.

Thyagarajan, Rihana and iyerviji like this.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Obviously the medicine. If they had njust chanted mantras without medicine. the patient probably would have departed from the world. Faith does not move mountains, blind faith only leads to downfall. Thank you doctor saheb but I have no respect for doctors who form part of the devotee pack.

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

It depends on the person! If the person truely believes in the guru even if the father had died they would console themselves that was his fate! No matter how much you explain that’s what they will say!

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Faith makes the journey and the end result (positive or negative) more bearable. In some ways, faith and hope overlap. Maybe faith is a "cautious" version of hope.

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Faith is rendered hopeless when a religious person chants only manthra without seeking medical help while his or her bed-fellow is bed ridden.
    Bharat Ratna Sir Rajaji - a brahmin theist- 94 was in hospital suffering from uremia and his son by his bed read verses from a holy book . His friend PERIYAR - anti brahmin and an atheist also 94 was by his bed sat for hours . But in the end neither faith nor hope in hospital could prop up Rajaji. He expired.
    I agree that blind faith is no good and is not enhancing the power of hope.
    Here I come across an interesting beautiful write-up about "faithless is not hopeless" in link:

Faithless Does Not Equal Hopeless

Thanks & regards.

HariLakhera likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

God ()if there is a God) helps those who help themselves. This reminds me of a story. There was this guy who blindly believed in God. So once he was caught in a flood,. People tried to pull him out of the flooded area but he refused saying " God will help him. Then a boat of rescvuers came but he refused to be rescued putting his faith in God. As the waters started rising a helicopter came to rescue him but he still refused to go putting the onus of rescue on God. Finally he drowned and came face to face with a grim-looking God,
    "Oh God ! why have you forsaken me" he cried,.

"You fool!" said an angry God who do you think sent toe boat and the chopper?"

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Faith makes the journey bearable. It is like, believing that someone else is travelling with me and that person/power has the capacity to protect me.
    In simple words, faith in God is equivalent to the faith little kids have on their parents. When you throw a baby in the air, it laughs because the baby knows you will catch her. That comfort is what the benefit of faith.

But, faith doesn't change your fate. Your birth & the death timing is already predestined. It is your life, that is in your hand. Faith helps you to navigate life through difficult times.

Few years back, my 5 yr old niece was diagnosed with leukemia & it was a devastating news to the entire family.
    My brother was totally shattered and he was at the verge of giving up on his life, knowing his inability to reverse what went wrong in his child's life. At that time, he was totally lost it.

Then came a priest, who encouraged all of us to pray, believing in the miracles of God.
    The gospel & so many positive stories from the bible and that of today's life made us believe in what the priest taught us.
    We religiously prayed, followed the rituals like fasting, following gospel, attending mas and even doing charitable things as needed.
    This made us believe, we are not alone in this journey.
    We believed God is with us, and anything is possible if God stays with us.

This kind of trust boosted us to work towards the girl's treatment.
    My brother knew it will be costing a lot of money to take the child abroad & give her the best treatment with a small window of success rate. Yet, he didn't think twice, but went on to do the needful with hope.
    He worked so hard, and never felt tired during the 3 yr long journey, where he joggled between countries for work & treatment without any rest.

But never once he felt hopeless or dejected even though there were times when the child was in ICU and her blood reports had scary numbers. Faith alone gave him the needed trust, and that helped him to work tirelessly to earn the needed money for the best treatment possible.

Fast forward to today. His child is cancer free. Thank God!!!

Scientifically & practically it was the best treatment that cured the child from this deadliest disease. However, the child & her parents did not give up, but fought this battle courageously; hence the doctors could treat her.
    Faith gave their courage, if not they would have given it up long back.

But, there are people with blind faith. They think performing rituals and religious matters alone could bring miracles. That's why they do not take the scientific route, and end up in a risky situation.

8. HariLakhera

Of course. The moot point is to have all the faith you harbor but do the karma.

9. HariLakhera

I will call it blind faith. This might have been possible in the very old past but after the progress in medical science, if someone still does so, it is rather not good.

10. HariLakhera

One must have faith with logic. Faith without reasoning can be very risky. If by making all possible efforts and ways, the end is negative, one can find solace in saying that at last, we did what we could do. That will be called fate. Leaving to fate alone is risky.

Rihana likes this.