Fair Skin?beautiful..dark Skin??....not!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Nov 13, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My cousin and her husband came from India to USA on a official visit last week..

We watched a movie "dirty picture" the vista Balkan and he started comparing silk Smitha and vista.Initially it started as fun but later on the fun turned disgust for me..

For e.g.: I told Silk smitha is very nice and I like her.he said " geeks..she is dark but vidhya is fair".Even my cousin then started making comparisons or dark and fair.

I got taken aback a bit coz the last time I heard people talking about skin color was many years back.

Few other things I remember..initially when newly married I knew a lady who also recently came from India talk
    Constantly how she is losing her fair skin coz of the heat

Last year in my India trip one family friend an uncle showed me pics of his daughters wedding.I said" she looks very nice". He said with pride"
    She is fair and white too you know?".. again I was little Disgusted

My bestie who was in Denmark for 7 years had come back to our desh and we had a gala time.however,one thing she kept mentioning when some gal
    Passes by " oh! She is so fair..how I wish I was fair"..

Even my mil is constantly behind fair skin and I have been put down for my complexion..

We have become
    Mordern in many aspects but when will the color thing change?

kcb and vaidehi71 like this.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Interesting .... past Miss USA is ebony ..... wonder what Indians in India would truly think of her ....

Nina Davuluri - Wikipedia

rachaputi, vaidehi71 and anika987 like this.
  3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

It is a very known fact that Indian thoughts are similar to general Asian thoughts when it comes to complexion. Girls are considered pretty if they are fair complexion. Infact majority of Indian girls wouldn't fall into this category.

Even if they had lived long abroad some still think like that. The reason is 'what is beautiful ' is mostly a twisted definition by lots. No hard and fast rule. But most consider it basically related to external features of the person. A very wrong way to judge people and wrong way to think that way.

Media and generalised thinking from young age is probably the cause. Just a look at matrimonial column will suffice to find the answer.

People are so naive in this regard. Well, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. But on the long term relationship it is definitely not going to work at all. That too a superficial defined way of thinking on skin colour is totally wrong. In fact I know few girls in my circle who are like that but totally mismatch with their partners after marriage. All they have is just personal match based on external appearances.

Why is it ingrained probably just maybe human psychology as well. Whenever anyone sees a fair complexion girl and that too good looking they get attracted. In Indians maybe more because of culture and how they have been taught as well. People change slowly I believe.

At the end of the day, in a relationship it is not going to help mostly except in the initial phases of marriage. Attitude and compatibility based on personal values are the long term bonding factors. If that happens then they realise these
    things. Facts which people never realise in life. Some never realise and some realise from young age. It all comes to the fact on how individuals perceive things.

Forever beautiful, is something I can give only to natural scenery. Even flowers wither away. Leaves fall and leave the tree barren. Just because it is barren doesn't mean it has lost it beauty and just because it has beautiful leaves and flowers etc mean the tree is beautiful. It is the same old tree. It lies in how we look at the tree. My stupid analogy for the moment. Same way a beautiful young girl goes through such phase and become old. Just because she has lost her looks by skin wrinkles etc doesn't mean she has lost her beauty. Her beauty lies in her thoughts there. Same person at a different stage of life. This thinking if present in lots of people then the way to define beauty by complexion would have been erased. Hard to unwire the thoughts which they had been brought up with. Let us hope that time teaches these things to them.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @anika987 ,

" Our entire life, consists ultimately in accepting ourselves as we are"- Jean Anouilh.

If we accept our complexion and love ourselves as we are and we have self confidence we will be able to face and handle the people and situations without getting upset.World cannot do anything to disturb our peace and joy. True, some of our own are not that mature. But it is within our power to treat that immaturity with matured outlook.

Incidentally, I may mention that the famous Egyptian queen and a queen of beauty, Cleopatra was dark, they say.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@suryakala said it all...

There are so many people with different mind set. Fair skin is indeed a yardstick to measure your beauty. But that is not the only yardstick.
    If fair skin is not considered beautiful, we will not have fairness cream business in our part of the world. We will not have make up artist and on-line videos that shows how to become fair.
    So, accept that and move on...
    Fair skin is beautiful, so are long hair, slim figure, perfect smile, good height, and good manners.

What if you don't have a fair skin? Is having fair skin the only way of being beautiful? Nope. Then why bother?
    Cherish about your perfect figure, long hair, flawless skin, height and weight instead.

Have confidence in your own beauty... Be it fair skin or dusky skin or whatever.
    When you have self confidence, you would never feel bad or upset about the general comments like this.
    Because you can't control on what other people think or like. It is their life. But you can control your mind from getting affected from such comments.

6. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Its the mindset. anyone fair is declared beautiful. I have come across a lot of fair women but they don't really have the grace or beauty. While on the other hand, I have seen a lot of beautiful so called "dark" women too!

I couldn't understand why Michael Jackson actually went for the skin surgery too! honestly, just like suryakala said, if you are not happy with yourself, then you can not be at peace at all!

My elder son is dark and the younger one fair!

Recently when I was giving them a bath together, my younger one started saying that he is white in colour while my elder one is brown.
    I immediately told my elder one that what colour you are doesn't matter...what matters is whether you are a good boy or not! Actually I had to use a cake example to explain him......I told him that he is my chocolate cake (we love chocolate cakes), the younger one vanilla cake, me a butterscotch cake, my husband a dark chocolate cake, my mom a pista cake. No matter what flavor the cake is, its important that it is sweet and tasty.

So just like that, it doesn't matter if you are black or brown or white ... what matters is whether he is a good boy or not! And I have been repeating this since then!

Now he tells the younger one in return!

7. lalsang123

lalsang123 Bronze IL'ite

I too completely agree with respect to complexion difference.. I still here my aunty telling me "your father is a little fair and your mother is OK but I don't know how come you look dark".. When my marriage got fixed my grandma said " I don't know how come the boy said ok after seeing you.. I was really worried whether you will get married or not since you have a darker complexion".. I felt really bad.. Even now I see most of the people whom I know of telling me that" she looks very nice because she is fair"..i am happy that my husband is not of that type.. Most people give importance to outer appearance.. Of course there are equal number of other people who give importance to your inner thoughts too.. Always think good.. This will surely show on your face.. Never give importance to such comments.. At the end all the people (dark or fair) are going to become old..

Feel good about yourself..

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  8. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Outer beauty doesn't matter, what matters is the inner beauty.

How much ever a person is handsome / beautiful, we cannot stand them if their behavior and manners are not good.

A pure & kind heart, well mannered behavior and a smiling face always looks so beautiful and attracts every one.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  9. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

people have their own definition of beauty, if some people consider fair is beautiful, thats their choice...for me healthy glowing wheatish skin is beautiful, too much fairness i dont find good...now one can say why only thin are considered beautiful?? why fat nose is not considered beautiful...one can define beauty as par their own choice....

I dont have this notion that dark skin cant be beautiful but i have seen that people who are having fair complexion , easily look good....so it is what it is....fair skin is just a gift given by god, just like any other beauty standard such as fine features, nice teeth, a dimple on cheek, lush hair....
    if one says that one should not be impressed by outer beauty, than yes i completely agree , but if one says that why others are considering fair skin as beauty than i will say its their choice, whatever looks good to their eyes...

anika987 likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For men, it is TDH Tall Dark and Handsome. For women, it is FSB Fair Slim and Beautiful.

anika987 likes this.