1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Faded Jeans at 64!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,

Both me and my daughter absolutely enjoyed this post :) I was delighted when she exclaimed "ohhh, this line is SOOOO PGW,amma"

now, vibhuthi with faded jeans? a deadly combination.indeed:thumbsup Should not be very difficult to spot you in a crowd.:biglaugh heres wishing that your spirit remains as jolly as ever irrespective of the advancing years. :)

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Mindi
    Thanks a lot for the jolly FB!
    That your daughter could smell PGW in this post makes me delighted too. RK Narayan and PGW are my two role models as far as my writing is concerned and if any one sees a bit of either of them or both in what I write, that fills my cup of joy to the brim!
    Sri

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I will be back with a happy fb to your Faded Jeans post. But right now, I am using this thread for a diferent purpose.

Just now, noted that your user id is in festive, fertile green, and that means just one joyous thing- that you are a Super Mod. Congrats! And that is congrats to the IL site and admin. This is a move that should have was long overdue. You are one of the most cohesive and inclusive forces in IL. In a virtual site, where we all remain faceless and responsibility less, very few make the cut, taking the high road. And you, gentle sir, are one of the best. Your maturity and sagacity have often made situations so easy for all of us.

That you blog like a dream just makes you even better than the best.

I know that IL will gain more stability and direction with you as a Super Mod. Hey, I always knew you are a super man, I just know it better now.

I looked for the announcement for this and could not find it. So, am posting my thoughts here. Please feel free to move it appropriately.

4. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear Mr.cheeniya,
    Such a delightful post!I like your attitude towards life.

Believe me, it’s a great strain when you have to continue nursing a youthful spirit as you advance in age. People just do not understand that the efflux of time can and should only leave its footprint on the physical body. The spirit is ageless!

When this youthful spirit is part of your personality,I don't think it would be a strain on you.On the otherhand being somebody else will be a strain.

love
    mithila

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

This was one of your finest. I wasn't sure which way you were headed towards the beginning of the post. I think I read you as declaring that, look wise, you've always been what you are today and that reminded me of a person I know. He is reasonably older than me, believe it or not. I mean you are not supposed to keep on getting older unidirectionally. [As Sukumar Ray (Satyajit's father) had written in is classic "ha ja ba ra la", people ought to count their ages in the reverse direction once past 40. So, after your fortieth birthday, you look forward to your thirty-ninth the following year and so on till you are a year old and then of course your reverse gear again. As one of his characters in this delightful tale wailed, if he didn't do this then someday he would be past 80 or 90 and even die! ]

Coming back to the main theme, this gentleman who always looked as though he were around 50 or so had classmates making fun of him at college. But then, as one of his classmates, one of my professors, admitted to me, the contemporaries who used to pull this ageless man's leg, slowly started growing older themselves and the day soon arrived when they were above 60. But the gentleman in question continued to look 50!

As they say, he who laughs last laughs the longest. I know this gentleman quite closely and I can assure you that the 50 look still survives. And, in terms of his interest in life, he is simply a marvel. Music, literature, economics ... and what not. He was a professional economist who ran a literary magazine called Baromash. It has still survived.

He is a wonderful man, though not as wonderful as you. Despite the similarity between the two of you as far as agelessness goes (whether physical or metaphysical), you have few intellectual pretensions despite the obvious weight of intellect. He is not made that way. I don't think he would ever need to have his breath analysed either. And though the number of women that continues to admire him is comparable to the number that you have accumulated, he hides it cleverly. I mean cleverly as opposed to you. Not that you announce your latest catches from the rooftop either. But, you being a lucky "b......", the women themselves make it plain and clear in your case.

And you can not only be funny, but you can even make me laugh out aloud. And that is no mean achievement. Going by the allegations my wife makes against me at least. Unlike yours, my wife rarely feels the need to discuss the "my women" issue with me. She knows that she is absolutely safe there. My untouchability in the female world is well-established.

But it is not about me that I want to speak. I know you are capable of every kind of absurdity (metaphysically once again) that your age is not supposed to permit. But I can relate to you a story just to make you feel jealous about this other age defying gentleman I was talking about.

Well, this is what happened when he was around 22 or so (though he looked 50 as I said). One of his classmates, who was also my professor, fell in love with a student he taught. The girl's family was totally against the idea of course and the friends got together to plan an elopement. How does one elope though? Romantic Bengalis know how to fall in love, but elopement eludes them. Despite their shortcomings on the elopement front, however, they came up with a plan.

This 50 guy was the only one whose father owned a car. He would come and park the car in front of the girl's house at an appointed hour. She would get into the car and be driven away to freedom or the love nest that her beloved had constructed (literally perhaps) on the branch of a tree or the other.

And here is the catch. Mr. 50, as it turned out, wasn't much of a driver. But romantic Bengalis are never particularly bothered by the practical necessity of knowing how to drive in order help elopements in a car, with young women sitting next to the untrained drivers. When the consummation of love is the destination, who cares about such inconsequential details as the skills required to drive cars?

The lady in question arrived on time and slipped into the car. Mr. 50 started the car too. So far so good. Unfortunately though, the world is normally less accommodating than one might wish it to be. As he was about to make the car start rolling, a huge truck arrived from nowhere and stood in the way. The road ahead was blocked and the girl kept getting more and more nervous of being caught in a car in front of her own house in the company of Mr. 50 with whom she was not even in love!!

The damsel in distress had to be saved and the mighty knight in armour decided philanthropically that he should drive on reverse gear and, once he reached the end of the road, make a u-turn into the road to freedom.

The only difficulty, in case you have forgotten what I have already repeated seventy five times at least, was of course that he wasn't much of a driver. Probably he didn't even own a license. He knew how to drive straight ahead perhaps (especially so when the road was not blocked by a truck), but backing up was a skill that he had reserved for later acquisition. On this particular occasion of course, there was not much of a choice. So, he shifted to reverse gear and started off on his journey.

And hit a lamppost!!!!!!!!

There was great commotion as a result and all the people in the neighbourhood were out on the street to count the number of casualties. And yes, that included the girl's father too. I leave it to your fertile imagination to complete the story. But wherever you reach, let me assure you that the lovers did finally manage to get united!

I doubt that Mr. 50 would play this game again. But from what you have to say about your ageless spirit, I hope you will be ever ready to perform the way he did, should necessity arise.

Love.

oj

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  6. Cheeniya

My dear Vidya
    How can I thank you enough for whatever good things that keep happening to me in IL? I remember the day when Sunkan inducted me into this wonderful community. Like a fresher in a school, I was just trying to find my rhythm amidst such veterans like you and Manju Reddy who left me speechless with their blogs and FBs. Within a few days of my coming here, you mooted the idea of a separate sub forum for me. I was not really very enthusiastic because of my own doubts about my capabilities to do justice to a sub forum in my name. I wonder how much you know about the role that you played in moulding me as a writer.

I feel honoured about my elevation as a Super Moderator. I am a bit apprehensive too that I may take too long to build a good relationship with the members. But I am an undying optimist and I have no time to fear any dangers in the course laid open before me at this phase of my life!

I am grateful for your nice words of encouragement to me Vidya. You know I always cherish your powerful words.
    Sri

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  7. Cheeniya

Dear Mithila
    Thank you for your crisp and lovely FB.
    The concept of aging differs vastly between the West and East. In India, youth almost ends at forty plus but in the West, youth starts at that age! We see in any number of western serials and movies intense romancing between a man of 60 plus and a woman of around the same age. To top it all, both would have been thrice married. The latest and the most famous case is that of Elizabeth Taylor!

Here in India, we need to get the biggest suit case ready at around 45 to pack up all our unspent youthful spirit and get ready for Senility!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

My dear OJ

What you have written about Sukumar Ray reminds me of the novel, The Lost Horizon, written by James Hilton. The story is set in the picturesque Tibetan Monastery Shangri-La where people live up to an incredible age! The High Lama himself is about 300 years old. A British Diplomat Hugh Conway chances upon this place through an air crash of which he is a survivor. He discovers that the people never age as long as they are in Shangri-La but the moment they return to the plains, their true age shows with fatal consequences. Conway himself finds that the young Manchu maiden with whom he is in love is probably four times’ older than him! The poor woman dies when she takes her lover Conway for treatment to the plains and the Doctor tells Conway that she is much older than anyone he has ever come across in his whole life! A bit of Dorian Gray there, you know.

But then I always thought that James Hilton got it all wrong by defining the youth of the Shangri-La folks in terms of the flesh but not the spirit. The people dying a horrible death when they reach the plains is very gross! It is my thinking that when people live up to 300 years or so, they would spend most of it on seeking new frontiers in knowledge which Tennyson so beautifully compares to a ‘sinking star beyond the utmost bounds of human thought’ Our scientists are already working furiously on some way to prevent the onset of old age beyond a hundred years and I am sure they will succeed. If a man is going to waste a major portion of his additional age on some frivolous amorous pursuits, all this research for retention of youth is a colossal waste as Yayati discovered in the end. It is nice to hear that your friend is investing all his additional youth in very creative pursuits but please do not think that everyone will be like your friend.

You talk of my intellectual pretensions but I’ll share a secret with you here. I have an awful intellectual inferiority complex. I often ask myself what is it that I have done so far that my family, my children and my friends can be proud of. During the Music Season in Chennai, I watch so many young talents that keep us glued to our seats with their ethereal music. They were not born with a musical talent and to reach where they are, they have put in a lot of hard labour while I wait for the concert to be over so that I can rush outside to the restaurant to stop my acidic stomach from gnawing at my vitals! I eat but in what shame! I glow when people praise my writing but I know that I am only aping such greats as PGW and RK Narayan.

You may have a point about my influence over the opposite sex but I hardly notice that they are from the opposite sex. This is what happens when you have two 40-year old daughters!

“And you can not only be funny, but you can even make me laugh out aloud. And that is no mean achievement.” That is a great compliment coming from you, my dear OJ. All wives are bound to feel safe when their husbands are closing in on 70! If I were you, I would make my ‘untouchability’ a big virtue of mine and pose as if I have cultivated it deliberately from youth.

The romantic Bengalis that I know are all as unenterprising as the Amar Prem and Devdas types. This is the first time, I hear of a lamp post ramming Bengali while executing his amorous escapades. Good for him that they got united. He has done the lamp post proud!

My ageless spirit is now reserved for whetting the literary appetite of guys like you who seem to think so high of me!
    Sri

9. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I feel you are always an energetic and young person. Might be the persons of your age envy you which made them adivising you to introspect :)

But definitely the youth will love to be with you:thumbsup

By the way i wish to see you in faded jeans and arrow shirt (atleast in photograph):)

10. Cheeniya

Dear Raba
    There was a time when I used to be an Aamir Khan with a six-pack body but now a Shammi Kapoor with the six-packs replaced by six bags! It may not be a good idea to pose for a photo even with faded jeans and Arrow shirts!
    Sri