1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Faded Jeans at 64!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malspie
    Thanks a lot for those encouraging words. I dont believe in conducting my life according to some age old traditions and customs. I should be free to do whatever my conscience permits me to do and believe me that my conscience is very liberal with me!
    I have never been able to understand the concern that most of us show for the opinion of people who have nothing to do with us. I just worry about the opinion of those who have real concern for me. Not every Tom, Dick and Harry!
    I hate people who keep saying 'What'll others say?'
    Sri

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Handsome Sri in Faded Jeans,

Like your attitude GUY..... Keep going,

3. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

Sir,

I joined the Forum recently, and stumbled upon your "Rambling.". Fun to read and thought provoking. May I add my appreciation too, after all these months?.

One thing I felt reading "Ramblings" is " aha .. there are ladies too in similar boats, refusing to conform to our society's idea of old age .."

I am sure you would have understood by now I am talking about myself. At 57 I find it difficult to be part of social gatherings where only silk sarees and diamonds are discussed. Where the latest TV soaps are described in every detail! Where senior ladies are expected to do poojas and talk only about grand children and arthritis!

I usually look for someone with whom I can discuss Chinese movies, Iranian movies , Gnani, Jayakanthan, Jeyamohan ,Philip Roth , Shah Rukh khan.etc etc.Did not find too many so far..

It is tough to be a loner . But I am still looking for that group of people with whom spending time will be a pleasure. I know I am going to soon!

Meanwhile happy ramblings!
    :)

4. Cheeniya

Dear Jayalakshmi
    A hearty welcome to the fold!
    "Chinese movies, Iranian movies , Gnani, Jayakanthan, Jeyamohan ,Philip Roth , Shah Rukh khan" is an excitingly wide canvass that presents endless possibilities to paint our thoughts on! With such thoughts, how can anyone be a loner?
    You have come to the right place to express yourself and feel needed!
    Be seeing you!
    Sri

5. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

Thanks Cheeniya. That welcome made me feel good. The canvass is big but I am confused most of the time!

Will write more after getting inspired sufficiently

Enjoy

JR :)

6. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    ( Cool and young buddy at heart- this is what mind wants to address you after reading this post).

Lovely post and enjoyed it a lot. Wish most of the people share this lovely spirit of yours and enjoy their oldage too.

The first time i read your feedback to a post, i dont know but i was apprehensive and told myself never to tresspass your posts.But now i am drawn like iron pieces been attracted by a magnet to the lovely posts written by you. The silver lining in every post is the message conveyed with a lovely dash of humour.
    I am surprised as i see you in many roles- teacher, philosopher...so on.
    How i wish all these posts are read and the message clearly registered in all minds as it shows the art of smiling and also teaches the art of living (not Sri Sri Ravishankar) to all.
    I especially liked the posts " To hell with physical fitness", "On taking offence at jokes". I learnt some good lesson from the second post.
    You truly are the guruji of art of smiling class if there is any.

Love,
    Parvathi.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Parvathi
    Over three years have been laid to rest since I wrote this thread. You must be happy to learn that there is absolutely no change in my attitude towards aging but my reluctant flesh is waging a relentless battle against my spirit. It just finds it more and more difficult to keep pace with my spirit. So to set my flesh's apprehensions at rest and to show that I am willing to look at its side of the bargain, I have increased the size of the 'vibuthi' on my forehead. Don't get alarmed. It is just as a matter of pure goodwill!

Thank you very much for all the good things you have said about my Ramblings. There are some people whose voice sounds like that of a frog with a sore throat due to aging and yet will not stop singing during a ritualistic bath and I am one of them. I continue to whistle tunes when I am in a jolly mood.

Like Robert Browning says in 'Pippa Passes',
    The year's at the spring
    And day's at the morn;
    Morning's at seven;
    The hill-side's dew-pearled
    The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn;
    God's in his Heaven -
    All's right with the world!

We won't pass this way again. So let's make the most of this Carnival called Life!
    Sri

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paru,
    last month when I visited Sri Sir, the generous smearing of vibhuti all over the visible parts of his body made me wonder, whether I had entered the house of any any vibhuti samiyar, by mistake. But that he was standing very near his DW made me feel that I had gone to the right person's house!!
    So, goodwill all over the person!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya....
    a very light refreshing yet meaningful thread... ageing is such a natural process and we have to accept that .... But why should our attitudes / values / preferences / choices / basically why should the "I" in me change becoz in he physical world we are for longer???
    so keep on your faded jeans wear your Arrow shirts and drive thru all the Alleys after cracking the most #$*@ jokes in the pub:cheers... becoz after all thats the way you want to go...:thumbsup
    K
    P.S. and keep the vibhuti smear all over the body (Chithra has pointed out) maybe that may become the latest trend????

10. Cheeniya

Dear Kelly
    That was Chitvish's way of taking a dig at me about my indulgence in 'Shower to Shower' talcum powder! Vibhuthi just appears as fleet-footed as the Third Crescent on my forehead. But more importantly, I am happy you could sense the jollity of my thread. To be happy is after all the main purpose of this life, isn't it?
    Sri