1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Facetime Skype, Weekend Video Calls With In-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Vedhavalli, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Bumping the thread
    Hope everyone is doing good. My prayers are with you all. Stay safe.

Long story short - now mil calls us daily.
    Poking nose in every thing. There is nothing new to speak she wouldn't budge.
    She wants to talk to my child, who wouldn't talk to her.
    Irritating questions like -
    1) it's 8.00 no breakfast yet (reply I want to say no one is awake devillady) . All are asleep. Night calls ask what we did from morning to till dinner. Talks like annoying howling wolf on full moon.

2) why kid is not studying, that other grandkids doing algebra in 2nd grade, learns 3 languages, did arangetram in 7 yrs, sings keertanai like MS,
    Compares with all the kids in relative friends circle to my child.
    If I say it's not a competition. Will see, she would say ya that child's mom is a PhD from Ivy's. That kid can do.

3) when I say I'm cooking 3 times, cleaning multiple times, I'm tired, back pain or exhausted. She would say ya you have to do. If I ask same question what's with your daughter she says her health is poor.
    4) this stay-at-home period has given her rights to call daily & bother me.
    5) giving unsolicited advices
    Shops are open in India , here the spread is exponentially high, any idiot will know that. Yet she keeps her "bechari besahara" saying here it's huge impact.

Since this iPad & Phone sole essentials, I'm not switch off my router.
    A) not picking calls, switch off WiFi, blocking mil fil sil is not an option for me. They would immediately call my parents telling how bad I'm. My parents will get my nerves.
    B) I tried confronting in front of dh she creates dramatic scenes , changing plot, brutally lying.
    C) I tried to face off by doing my chores which included cleaning bathroom, cooking, teaching kid. She doesn't budge. I told 1000 times I'm busy.
    She would say your home.( Idiot lady whole world is staying at home. )
    D) gave final warning to dh. To stop her. Else things won't look good.

What else to do to tell her not call EVERY day call only on weekends as usual.

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Why do you care so much about this? You are a grown up lady, why do you have to put up with this?

I am thinking from my point of view of course, you might have other issues to deal with. But just thinking out loud, can you say no, say I can't talk everyday, we have something going on these days - say monday and wednesday. and talk all other days for now. Then cut down another two days. Come up with creative ideas, say internet maintenance or something. and block out the call for just those days. What does your husband say bout these twice a day everyday calls? If you talk to her in the morning, let him deal with her in the evening. Find your pending job to do or keep the job pending just for that time and do it.

From what you have written, she won't be satisfied how good you may be - cooking and cleaning and being that perfect sanskari DIL, she will find faults. So throw a bone to chew, be busy when she calls in the evening or morning. If nothing works, Say hi if she calls and say you are busy, ask if anything urgent and cut the call, block the number until you go to sleep. unblock it next morning. Another way is find faults in what she does and ask that repeatedly, or bring up something from past.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  3. Vedhavalli

Daily blocking unblocking is whelming.
    If I find faults or as unpleasant things from her side she will blew fire balls at me.
    To end this I'm thinking to block her for a month & say I'm taking break from all electronic devices.

Angela123 likes this.
  4. AshMenon

AshMenon Gold IL'ite

Ignore, and don't entertain her. You go ahead with what you would do if she hasn't called. You can't stop her from calling, but you can deal with your reaction to when she calls. It is not your sole responsibility to engage her or answer her when she calls. Go about with your tasks or read a book during this time or cultivate a hobby. What does your DH do during this period?

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Vedhavalli likes this.
  5. Zxcv

Zxcv Silver IL'ite

This is such a kick-ass idea ...gonna try this ...

shravs3 likes this.
  6. Vedhavalli

thanks
    Today I tried to ignore her call, told having headache. Immediately went Gaga over home remedies, how too much screen time gives headache.
    I told whole world relies on screen. She got upset. I went away.
    To DH she would have complained, how rude I'm.
    DH believes his mom is goddess who never lies "doodh ki dulihuyi" type. He wants to have cordial relationship between me & her.
    MIL has no respect, too much proud of her daughter. Keep comparing on that. I told DH if you talk to my parents daily, I would do to.
    We both had bitter fight because of her.
    I was spitting poison during fight, MIL provokes me.
    Now she wouldn't call unless I call back.
    I'm done with her dramas. Not anymore

7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Can you just hum a tune in your head while talking to her, just hear without listening?

You told her you have a headache, and she gave you some home remedies. My mom does that too, if I tell her I have throat pain or cold or some such thing and immediately she will have some kashayam recipe or some rasam recipe and of course, attributes everything to excessive phone use! IMO, it was unnecessary for you to educate her on how the whole world relies on screen. If I were you, I would have just said "amaam" and then cut it off there. It's not like she is going to check up on you if do look at a screen after that or made sure you did follow the home remedy she suggested!

8. Vedhavalli

I'm totally done with her dramas & fake care affection. She never wishes me on birthday, or any thing small or big I achieve. She finds faults & compares me with her sister's Brother's DIL.

1)Few weeks ago I had terrible fever, I told her I'm down with fever. She didn't say anything not even take care. Her immediate response was "oh what they will eat?". Now all of a sudden behaves as if she cares for a simple headache. By the way home remedies were coffee, tiger balm. It's a fake care infront of her son.
    2) my words were simple, "ya ellarum screen pakara, Enna seiyradhu". These words don't hurt. If I say this my mom she won't bang phone. Mil did created a huge drama.
    How will anyone feel if someone calls you & annoys about every detail of your household?

When she was here didn't lift a finger.

9. Maha99

Maha99 New IL'ite

I am so sorry you are dealing this...Are you the only DIL? I cannot imagine video calls that early morning and every weekend!! Sorry but you need to discuss with your DH to cut short timings..and call around 9AM onwards....maybe not every weekend..what does your DH say?

10. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi @Vedhavalli ....i used to read the replies here and thought this day will come to me too some time soon and it did ..couldnt stop myself from posting it here ...i hope its a bit better now for you than from earlier.

so my sil made a video call to her brother. they talk , it was early morning and i was busy in my morning chores and classes and didnt come to the call . (i limit my presence in any video call to a large extent and when i do its only for 3-4 mins max. ) my baby sits with h during the video call but she being only 2 yrs old would hardly show her face for 2-3 mins in the camera and would move away (its during any video call , not just her) . as soon as she is done with this call she calls her mother to complaint that me and my dd didnt talk to her and her dd during the call .i can understand her complaint on me but was surprised when she said the same about my dd . how do you expect her to look at the phone and talk , she would rather grab that phone and watch rhymes on it. mil immediately called us to complaint and create an issue and claimed i intentionally walk away with my baby to another room to not show her on the video. i spoke to her in front of h and clearly told her i am not interested in doing this and baby stays around h all the time but dont expect her to be on the camera all the time.
    after that conversation as usual lots of possible scenarios and responses come to the mind and how better i can handle the situation and respond better the next time . i want to nip this in the bud.
    today all of a sudden they remember that both the girls should grow up like sisters and all things nice . they didnt think about this when they decided sil's dd need not to have any relation with me. i dont try to stop or comment when h constantly tries to show my baby and tell her its your aunt , sister this that but i dont take any initiative from my side at all. venting sure makes you feel lighter.