1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook And We.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 25, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Be on Facebook at your own risk.

Facebook has shared our personal information with Microsoft, Spottily and others as per New York Times. We can’t do much about what already is with them. But we can know what they have and what they can gather here on.

1. Review Privacy Settings- Limit who can see your posts. Disable third-party apps. Change Timeline and Tagline settings.

2. It will be a good idea to read the Terms and Conditions of service, though it is of little help as Facebook keeps on changing them to suit their needs.

3. Minimize Facebook presence. Essentially all information is public, regardless of settings. Do not post family photos. Of course, you can post your dog’s photos. Avoid clicking on ads.

4. Download information what Facebook has on you by clicking on ‘Your Facebook Information’ and ‘download your information’. You will get all information about your photos, posts, comments etc.

But there is a catch. Facebook is a means to stay connected but that is on your own risk. So balance the benefits and risks.

sindmani likes this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

When I came to know that our private information is compromised with many international hackers the first time, I was very concerned. When I came to know that Facebook was aware of that but did nothing to stop it, I decided to pull out of Facebook immediately as I considered sharing the private information of the US citizens knowingly, with an adversary as unpatriotic.

Right after I did that, my wife requested me to close her account as well. It was a long drawn process as Facebook told us that the account were to be kept open for 90 days. Finally, we were both out of it 9 months back. Yes, I lost ability to communicate with many friends including some ILites. But I can always communicate with them through other means.

Viswa

Anusha2917 and satchitananda like this.
  3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Not for a privacy concern but i stopped using facebook for other reasons around 6 months back .
    As Viswa sir points out I miss being in touch with the 1000s of them I am friends with, but there are other ways to be in touch . And very close ones are in my phone ,a phone call away. :)
    Been 6 months since my account is temporarily deactivated and I don't miss anyone or anything in facebook. Life is more at peace now without seeing what is happening in other's life .

4. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    We live is a very different world now which is internet dependent. Once on Internet in any form Facebook, WhatSApp, email, anything that can be touched by a smart phone, most of our personal information is shared. I think the answer is not to run away but control the speed. Posting family photos and personal or family information is a big no. But that is what everyone does. When I downloaded by Facebook info, I was surprised that they have all my contact numbers.
    The worse part is you cannot delete anything what they know of you. Even closing the account will not help. I am in the USA and never post anything controversial about here even if it is in the media already.

sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  5. HariLakhera

I do not send any friendship request and accept requests only if I know the person or have a general idea of what he or she is from the profile page and mutual friends. Of the 600 odd 'friends' I may be knowing only 100.
    Personal info also is no issue because I do not post any. Nonetheless, on Internet nothing is personal once it is out. Discretion is the better part of valor as they say.

6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Treat FB as another "anonymous" forum, just like the one we are on. Create yourself an anonymous ID and play. Russians do it, and so do Americans, why shouldn't we ?

There are also group FB accounts where a bunch of people share the account, and they mess-around within it. Sort of like a large family sharing netflicks password. Nobody's individual information is all that clearly explicit. If someone hacked it, they'd wish they hadn't hacked, and got stuck with that deciphering job.

shravs3 likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

Good and sound advice. Use a fake name for everything. The problem is in this world nothing is anonymous. They know everything and even our shadow can be deceptive. They will find you even if you are hiding in a cave. Ask google. They know from your credit card what you buy, what you eat. From your phone when you sleep and with whom you chat.
    Accidents do happen. People do not stop driving. Airplanes crash, people do not stop flying. Moral- be careful and watch out.