1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

F1 to H1 visa stamping... no diploma certificate

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by desptograd, Sep 8, 2012.

1. desptograd

desptograd New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am on F1 - OPT now. I got H1B approved through my employer. My OPT lasts till 31st Dec 2012, but my F1 status ends on 30th Sep 2012 and I will be on H1B status from 1st Oct 2012 onwards.
    I have defended and submitted my thesis to graduate division and will receive “letter of completion” of my graduation very soon. I still don’t get my MS degree diploma from the university until after 31st Dec 2012, but will have my transcript. This is because of the university rule of mailing the diplomas to all students only at the end of semester.

I will be travelling out of country and plan to get my H1B visa stamped on 27th Dec 2012 in Chennai, India.
    Please let me know if I will have any problems getting my visa stamped ?

2. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

For the tax benefit, try to be on the OPT status as much as you can. Just before OPT status is getting over(its December anyway also you are planning to go for stamping also in December). By that time you would get your original diploma.
    On the other hand, if you really need to get stamped with the interim letter of completion, you have to get a letter describing this fact, along with the university policy of dispatching the original diplomas, from the university registrar. Use this letter(along with your course grades transcripts etc) whereever your diploma copy needs to be present in the stamping paperwork. That is only the best that you can do. If any officer got some piece of brain left under his/her skull, they would consider you positively. If you are turned down, be proud to be one with brain in front of an empty skull working as Immigration Officer. :)

3. desptograd

desptograd New IL'ite

Hi Sree, thanks for your suggestion. I am married and will be filing tax jointly with my spouse, and now I have a kid as well, so the returns are more right? So, does it really matter to be on H1B or OPT?

4. indianbahu

indianbahu New IL'ite

get a copy of transcript which would provide some info on your degree and a letter from ISO