1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Eye care for contact lens

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by kAlyaniShAnti, May 15, 2010.

1. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Hi Dear Ladies,

I use contact lens daily, for around 10-12 hrs at a stretch. These are soft lens and reusable ones. Time to time I use eye drops also or simple water to keep the eyes hydrated. I also stringently follow the deprotienisation scheme for the lens daily.

Still, at the end of the day, the eyes seem to be a bit reddish or I'll feel like getting rid off the lens. It happens sometimes, though not daily.

Can anyone suggest what care should be taken for the eyes with contact lens. The doc says it is okay to use for 10-12 hrs. And also what care should be taken while using eye make up with the lens?

Thanks in advance

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Make sure you wear googles if you use a two wheeler or even public transport! Carry your lens case and solution with you always. If you can take off your lens for 10 mins in between then do that! Don't let dust get into your eyes that might disturb your lens, check that you actually ahve your lens on before you step out of the house!! When cleaning, wearing them do it without disturbance, once you drop them finding them is the hardest thing to do!
    Good luck!

3. kAlyaniShAnti

Thank you, Janani for your suggestions...

I am good at loosing them... already lost twice in 5yrs:rotfl

Regards

4. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

hi shanti,

I ll uggest you to try monthly disposable lens which are very soft and can be used for 10 hrs at a stretch . they doesnt hav the protein issue. am using them for 6 years . and one important thing clean your lens with the solution before putting them on and after removing them and daily clean the lens case too.
    you can put liner maskar shadow etc after wearing the lens no problem in that.
    hope it helps

5. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Deepd,

Thank you a lot. I use the solution for cleansing as you said. But mine is not the disposable one.

Somewhere I read one should complete the eye make before putting the lens... sometime watering of the eyes leads to messy situation if I do that.

I'll try your tips now...

Thanks Dear

And my hearty Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Take care

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  6. uzma27

uzma27 New IL'ite

Hi there,

Quick Tip for keeping the eyes hydrated : Use "Rewetting Drops" which comes as small handy eye drops,easily available in most optical centres.They can be used anytime,they refesh your eyes,keep them hydrated and works wonders if you use computers contionously too!!!

Cheers!

Happy Lensing!

Uzma

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  7. praseenail

praseenail Junior IL'ite

which contact lens brand do you use for continuous wear? i use Johnson and Johnson Acuvue 2, they are comfortable and disposable monthly lenses. I also use complete lens solution with it.

8. monicks5

monicks5 New IL'ite

Hi kalyani and friends,
    I will vote for soft contact lenses disposable ones.. any day.
    Still using them continuously through the day should be avoided, specially if one is taring at the screen all day long. It can be very drying. artifical drops were of less help, since they tend to be habit forming, the more you use them, the more you need them, sort of thing.
    The thing that i discovered helps the most is applying the natural kohl ( u can make them at home too).. You may not be able to use them while wearing lenses, but can ceratinly sooth your eyes later in the evening. I sometimes apply before sleeping also..
    Natural products from Himalaya/Lotus etc.. could be applied since they contain castor oil/ ghee etc.. which are agin soothing for the eyes..
    My ayurvedic doc some 20 yrs back used to make a formulation of ghee, rose water and another oil (don remember)to put in eyes every night, to keep my power in check.
    So take care of your eyes, when u r not wearing lenses, so ur eyes will be better prepared..
    All the best

9. jamicrinklaw

jamicrinklaw New IL'ite

Thank you for eye tips. I use to the disposable lens.it is very soft. it has no reaction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
  10. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Hi k

I have been using contacts for few years now, and personally I think

1. The brand of the lens do matter. I also use re-usable lens and am very comfortable with it. And my maker says its ok to be used till max 14 hours! Okay, but it does become tiring after 12 hours, but it has worked well for me. I use Silklens.

2) Make sure to clean your lens before and after putting into the solution for the night which I believe you do. You know cleaning it twice did make a difference for me.

3) Do not sleep with the lens on - they tend to become more drier.

4) I do my eye make ups AFTER putting in the lens. I feel that better, bacuse as you mentioned - while putting the lens - the eye waters OR then I use a drop of solution on th elens then insert the lens so there is always a chance of the liquid streaming out a bit.

Though, when I use kajal, it always happens to me that a bit of kajal does come on to my lens!! Ans then its difficult to clean that off. I wonder what I should use instead of kajal

5) Keep blinking! As long as you keep bliking your eyes will be moisturized frequently and it really helps. Because you know what, once you feel that it has got dry, you really keep feeling that till the end - no matter how much liquid your drop into your eyes (thats what happens to me!)

6) Frequent staring into you computers makes it even more diffcult for lens users. My eyes started darting out and started gettuing double visions when I stared the computer for a long time (this just happened recently) so my doctor advised me to exercise your eye frequently.

After every hour,
    a) close your eyes and move your eye balls around
    b) Keep one pencil, close to your eyes (in front of your nose) and move slowly the pencil a feet away. Continue looking at the tip of the pencil while you do so. Now bring back the pencil slowly back to the original position for 5 secs
    c) keep a pencil in front (very close to your eyes) and another about a feet away in the same line. Now concetrate to look at the tip of the first pencel once then flip your eyes t stare the tip of the other. Keeping doing that alternately for 5 secs.

Hope that helps!
    G