Extreme Nausea And Acid Reflux

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Starkgirl, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I am 7 weeks pregnant and from past couple of days I have extreme nausea and acid reflux.
    I do get hungry every 2 hours and if I don’t eat as soon as I get hungry, I get nauseous and even after eating I do get nauseous and sometime throw up.
    My biggest problem right now is, I am not able to eat/drink many things like I used to, food makes me nauseous but then if I don’t eat I feel nauseous.
    I am not able to drink required quantity of water so I am worried about it.
    What should I do ?
    Sometime I can’t sleep during night because I feel nauseous even in sleep
    What should I do about it ? This is my first pregnancy and I kind of worried because I am not able to fill up my body with necessary proteins n stuff.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Check with your gyne for any tablets to help you. There are pregnancy safe nausea meds.

I went through extreme nausea / throw up 24/7 during my pregnancy - meds didn't help a lot - it lasted for 5-6 months then it got better but not completely gone. I had lost a lot of weight as well due to that during first trimester n a lil less during second. Last trimester got better.

Crackers / biscuits tends to help. I stuck to fruits, healthy food. No spicy or oily stuff as it made it worse.

I followed the doctors advise n took all the supplements medicine to compensate n help the body.

It didn't cause any health issues for me or my child during pregnancy. Babys weight was also perfect.

Some has more nausea than another. Some has zero nausea. Differs body to body.

Starkgirl likes this.
  3. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thanks dear for your response.
    My doctor prescribed me unisom night time to help with nausea. And b6 vitamin which I am taking religiously.

I am not eating any spicy food , I have completely stopped it , I am eating idli, dosa with butter but even that making me nauseous. I am not eating any citrus fruits mostly banana, apple, muskmelon but even these fruits making me nauseous. I tried ginger ale, sniffing lemon, eating on time, eating less spicy, less oily food but nothing is working so I am worried.

Drinking water is also making me nauseous, I don’t know what else to do?

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I was in a similar situation, including the water making nauseous too. I remember running to the bathroom to throw up even after a glass of water, even in the middle of the night. It was very challenging. But it's just a matter of time till you get over it. Some people get over it in 3 months, some 6 n some the whole term.

Don't let it worry you, or worry about this too much n let it stress you even more, it's not gonna help. All this nausea / less eating won't affect yours or your baby's health. I became 45kgs (underweight for my height) from 50 something in the first trimester due to nausea. And doctor said this happens to some people due to extreme nausea n no need to worry. So it's all part of the pregnancy journey.

Do what you can n follow the doctor's orders. Handle the nausea one day at a time, worrying so much will only make it worse n stress mental health as well.

Starkgirl likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy. Pregnancy, as you realized by now, is overrated J I am not kidding, lol. That magical phase where everything that is there to eat can be eaten without guilt is limited to fairy tales only; at least in the first trimester.

I have had 2 kids of my own and I went through similar issues first 3 months. With my second pregnancy, I learned to listen to my body. Pay attention to its ques. You need to eat before you get to, “I am very hungry” phase. Close your eyes and imagine what is it that your body is asking of you. Is it some dal? Or candy? Or a piece of ripe/raw mango? What is it? Achar and Chaawal came to my rescue. I know it’s not good for me but there were days that I can keep only that down. This is not a good idea but we must eat right. And another thing to keep in mind is the portions of food. Take small meals. Even if its only 3 bites at a time.

See the kind of prenatal vitamins you are using. Maybe something is not agreeing with your body? I forget what my doc prescribed me first but it never agreed with me. In 2 weeks’ time, I shifted to preg-vit and that made a world of difference. And check the times you are taking. Space breakfast followed by vitamins by at least 30 mins.

Starkgirl likes this.
  6. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thank you dear for your response.
    Somedays are better but some are worst for me , yesterday I was all too fine but today from morning I am pukin... no energy left to prepare food and eat

I can’t stand most of the food so kind of lost what to eat , I can’t stand rice, dal, curries, idli ! What else can I eat ? When i am hungry I want to eat something filling so fruits and juices are not helping.... any suggestions?

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Do this. Close your eyes and think. Usually your body would give you cues. Think what it wants and see if it helps.

Starkgirl likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP I was in a similar state as you with both my pregnancies. I couldn't keep anything down including water. I lost 5+lbs in the first trimester each time. I survived on water and sourdough bread. Something about the dry sour bread helped me with the unrelenting nausea. My doctor was not overly concerned. Unless you are severely underweight you are not depriving your baby of any nutrients. Try flavoring your water with natural flavors from fruits or juices, and take small sips all day long instead of chugging a big glass every so often. Avoid dehydration and eat whatever you find appetizing. Don't worry about quantity. This will pass soon enough. Good luck!

Starkgirl and justanothergirl like this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

+1 for bread. I couldn't stand rice /dal any other indian foods. Survived the first 4 months on bagel and cream cheese. I think i pretty much had it for every meal.

Starkgirl and Gauri03 like this.
  10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

OP Congratulations!!
    It can be hard when you want to eat healthy and well but you land up not being able to even eat a decent meal a day.
    You have to try different food types.
    My first pregnancy was real hard-lost 3 kgs in the first trimester, but
    for me rice and milk were the culprits. Somehow I was convinced that I must drink milk and would force myself, even when the gyne told me to keep off it. Big mistake. Overcoming that kind of preconceived notions is important - listen to your body. Your senses will be heightened now to warn you against food that could potentially be harmful to the growing fetus. Understand that your body is programmed to be the strict quality control manager because in the first trimester the placenta is still being formed, what you eat directly impacts the baby. For some reason if you body finds some ingredients that it feels not conducive to the fetus it will throw it out before it can get into your bloodstream. Yes it might be overly sensitive but it is with a purpose. So listen to your body , your senses.

My mistake was I would try rice with sambar, dal, rasam, more kulumbu ( khadi like dish) , channa masala. I look at the plate and my stomach would rumble and I would dig in. After a few spoons and I start feeling queasy. Actualy the smell of steaming rice was off-putting, if I had listened to my body I would have caught on that rice was the problem - instead I changed the side dishes When I stopped rice, things drastically improved.
    Rotis were my saviour -breakfast, brunch,lunch, post lunch , dinner, supper - ye I would eat small multiple meals a day. Cooked rice was a no-no but Idli was ok. Bread was a no-no but roti was great.Garlic was a big no - even the smell was a big putoff. I couldnt even take a sip of milk throughout my first pregnancy. One sip , and my stomach wouldnt rest till it came out - sometimes within an hour, sometimes after 8 hrs- but that milk had to be expelled. I could only eat banana but was eating them like a monkey -one bunch a day. Fried gram ( tamil - pottu kadala ) was good.

So experiment and eliminate some foods to see. Hear what your body is trying to convey thru your senses. There will be foods that you will eventually be able to hold . Dont lose hope.

By 12 weeks things will definitely get better.
    Hang in there @Starkgirl

justanothergirl, Starkgirl and Rakhii like this.