1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extra-curricular activities - how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by butterflyice, May 12, 2015.

1. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

To keep kids gainfully occupied, to enable kids to learn something new/extra, to make new friends and many a time to satisfy parent's desires/urge, kids do plenty of extra-curricular activities these days. My question to you all experienced parents is:

1. How many activities is your child engaged in at any point of time?

2. Do you do the activities on week-days or weekends?

3. What kind of commitment in terms of time is expected? How many practices per week?

4. How long does the kid continue in the activity, through the season or through the year?

5. The most important - how much moolah are we talking per month?

6. More important than most important - what is your expectation from the activity?

2 people like this.

2. shosasubu

shosasubu New IL'ite

Hi, The most important aspect to be looked into is the fact the child is seriously interested in the activity. Whether he or she has a real talent which can be further developed with coaching and practice. In terms of extra curricular ativities,I feel quality is much better than quantity,be sure that the class is taken by a well qualified teacher and also check the no, of students per class. Above all,as your child should enjoy the activity,it should be something which he or she is eager to go to and not something they feel they must do.

3. butterflyice

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@butterflyice no i am not biting... because when i see the way extras go in my city,especially..right now they are not into any..not even tutions or extra coaching..

2 and sometimes 3 with ds because he wanted.

most of it was weekend when they were kids. but later it just got embedded to weekdays. except cricket coaching which was everyday of the week plus summer camps.

3. What kind of commitment in terms of time is expected? How many practices per week?
    2 hours per week. and practices as per their choice but they would practice for 10 minutes before the class..

4. How long does the kid continue in the activity, through the season or through the year?
    throughout the year. especially in music learning is never ending.

around 7k until dd was learning the piano. then reduced to 4k. and now nothing.

6. More important than most important - what is your expectation from the activity?
    pleasure, stress free, a hobby that can keep them engaged and relieve any tension in the fast track life. no pressure on achievement.

Today it is just that hobby. and DS wants to pick up the violin or guitar again..i am waiting..

and extracurricular..swimming on weekends, evening music, monday and wednesday sloka, evenings skating rink, tuesday and thursday drawing.then there is speed maths, olympiad coaching, personality development..

i know a kids who does all this. and the mother is shuttling between the classes. and i am breathless...

2 people like this.
  5. butterflyice

Thanks for your valuable feedback @Shanvy. I guess your kids had the right balance of activities.

I am breathless reading the other kid's schedule. No idea how the kid and mom manage. Where is the time to let personality develop, I wonder!

My DS is doing 3 activities - soccer, martial arts and music. He is able to do this only because the work load at school is minimal. The younger one does swimming only to keep her occupied as she has preschool only for 2 days. Next year she will begin music.

6. butterflyice

7. butterflyice

Thanks for your feedback @shosasubu. I agree with you that the child has to be interested in the activity. Like you say, the quality of the teacher is important.

However I feel that kids should be exposed to different activities when young to get a flavor of all. Otherwise how can we determine where the talent lies?

Welcome to IL!

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@butterflyice, I am rambling here but here, some of my thoughts ....

I have always been able to do 2 or 3 at most at any point, not because kids didn't have time but we as parents have too much going on all the time :)
    Both actually since we split the activities between us.

My DH is definitely more committed than me. He signed up for music with my daughter to keep both of them involved and interested. We spend perhaps 2-3 hours per week
    I personally feel that when kids are younger, it is more like exploring and may change their mind. While my DS has been quite steady actually, my DD tries and lets go - I watch her keeping in mind the ultimate goal and let her try but certain activities like music are kind of mandatory just because I feel it needs to be tried long enough - so we are basically talking of what I want as a parent. I do feel that learning Indian music is one way of teaching them about our culture. I also put in time teaching them shlokas and Sanskrit at home but mostly with a gentle nudge, not as a task to be done. I have met enough adults from various back grounds who feel that they missed out not learning about their back ground as children.
    some are more expensive than others but we do have to put in no?

I am hoping that involving in an activity teaches them they are invested in it - however long or short it is. Also I do learn that they are learning that it is almost always a matter of showing up - whatever the resistance very rarely do they not enjoy it. That puts the onus on me always - not to overwhelm them. So it is a learning curve for both. And almost all the time, all the activities introduces them to committed individuals and I hope that teaches them they need to find their passion and do their best.

Most importantly I want them to have a pursuit other than academics - I feel as child though I did not do many activities like this, I had the opportunity to hone in on my skills - they are helping me now.

Also I think it is important to keep perspective as kids grow up. With my DS in middle school now, my focus is shifting to only two activities and one volunteer work. I will let DD explore for a couple of years more before telling her she needs to commit to one on her own!

And then there is that leading by example. DH and I are constantly involved in something or the other and talk to kids about it, hope that they watch our commitment. As a child and adult too, I have seen my parents go for a walk every morning and I have that bug in me now - first thing I need to get up and exercise. These are the kind of habits I am hoping kids will get with all the activities - something that will help them emotionally, mentally and spiritually!

2 people like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

My eldest had three as of now

- takewando, kumon in weekdays
    - swimming on weekends
    - used to have language class on a weekday but moved places and could not find a new teacher.

we keep weekends free as we plan outings as family .

want to get into music and soccer but no time.

we spend close to $500 on all of these every month. We have been doing this close to 4 years.

10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

My son (almost 11) is musically inclined, so he went for carnatic vocal for 3 years till he finished varnams and keertanas and got bored as there were only girls in his class -
    so I moved him to keyboard classes twice a week and karate classes twice a week!
    He has a green belt in karate!
    He has been going for Balvikas classes for the past 4 years and has completed his district level exams too!

Only weekdays only between 5-6 pm !

Monday and thursday - Karate
    Tuesday and wednesday - Keyboard
    Friday - Balvikas

Attend classes -
    weekly 2 days karate,
    weekly 2 days music,
    weekly 1 day Balvikas classes

No classes on weekends!
    Practice - 20-30 minutes a week!
    Participates in Balvikas activities, exams, akhand bhajans and speeches but that is on demand basis, no set timings!

Through the academic year - karate and music
    Summer vacations - holiday time for karate and music, goes for science camp or swimming camp for 15 days
    This time, went for handwriting for 6 days X 3 hours and 1/2 hour practice everyday

500 per month for karate (exams cost more - around 1000 per exam - he has completed white, yellow, orange and green belt till now),
    1000-1200 per month for music,
    science camp was a summer camp for Rs 4000 for 15 days!
    Sloka and bhajan classes etc are free Balvikas classes
    Handwriting classes were 100 per hour, I paid around 1800 for 6 days X 3 hours!

Last year he went for swimming - that was around 2500 for 15 days!
    Till last year I used to send him for Chinmaya cool camp in May every year at Chennai - that was Rs 1250 + 700 for transport = 1 week camp was around 2000!

Kid enjoys the lessons and learns something about himself! Physical and mental improvement, hobby !

1 person likes this.