1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

expressing milk

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by mercyagin, Dec 28, 2012.

1. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    From last one week my milk supply is getting low during night times. Today I have started to take lactare capsules. I have also expressed milk but I am not using any manual or electric pump. Will I be able to increase the milk supply without using pumps?
    And also how much milk I need to give my two months old baby?

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Generally EBF babies tend to have around 750 ml of BM per day when they are 2 months old. But this number varies for each baby. Depending upon the baby weight, the amount may increase or decrease. For a forumula fed baby it is calculated as 2.5 oz of formula for every pound in weight.

When are you expressing milk? If you express after every feed, then BM supply will increase. But if you are only exclusively pumping, then the supply will gradually reduce. Pumps are way more convenient. What you express in 10 minutes, can be expressed in a shorter time with pumps.

3. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

IS your baby draining your breasts completely during each feed?Does your breast feel full even after the baby has finished feeding?Your milk supply will reduce if there is milk in your breast even after the baby has finished feeding.So if you feel full even after feeding,pump and remove the excess milk.Your milk supply may also reduce during your periods time but will resume to normal after periods.

4. Nemomom

Nemomom New IL'ite

You don't have to use a pump if you are not comfortable. and yes you can increase milk supply without using the pump. I have done it successfully by using the Marmet technique. Check out this link Medela - #1 Choice of Hospitals and Mothers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nemomom
    Welcome to IL ...Thanks for sharing the link

6. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

Nemomom, thank you for the link.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My milk supply is good now. Lactare helped a lot. But I need to know how to keep up the milk supply during periods?

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mercygain
    Did you try the marmet method? If you did will you please share if it helped you?

8. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

i had faced difficulities with meeting my EMB supply during periods also. My supply will be cut to half when im having periods. so i will try to stock up extra bottles whenever i can. i will drink more water and take fenugreek tablets few days before my period.
    Normally in weekends i will pump left over milk after my baby is fed. and also pump when im feeding solid to stock up.
    expressing milk with good pump will help alot to increase supply. i used philip avent's manual pump( at home) and medela swing at work.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.