1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Exploration of Heart rate monitor - Polar FT7

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by vibha_81, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vibha,
    i finally remembered my ft4 today! I did the week 1 day 3 of couch to 5k. It was easy for me. Wait till I'm panting by week 3! I managed to burn 269 cals in the 30 mins that went for.

1 person likes this.
  2. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

wow..269kcals on 3rd day itself...what speed are you running at?

Upon AG's suggestion I did the Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk at home and burned 490kcal

walk at home 5 mile - YouTube

The initial mile is slow and my heart rate is just going up but in the later miles i am able to burn around 100kcal per mile

Since i started my strength training I have added crunches and lunges into the routine...Calories wise lunges burns very good calories...my heart rate was at 160s-170s during the time..but while doing crunches my heart rate was barely in 110s...so calories wise it looks like lunges(side, front, back etc) are more effective than crunches(side, knee, normal etc)

1 person likes this.
  3. Laks09

No clue about speed Vibha. I'm not tracking. My HR stayed below 160 throughout. I think max was at 145.

1 person likes this.
  4. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

I tried the 3 mile Leslie walk and i think this is much better in getting more calories burned in shorter duration - burned 369 kcal

3 Mile Slim & Sleek Walk - Walk Away The Pounds - YouTube

This is better than the 5 mile i posted above as with the 5 mile i would have spent only 325 in the same time as the 3 mile. So a thumbs up for me for the 3 mile and thank you AG for the suggestion

5. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

I also tried the AMRAP by Bob from "The Biggest loser" show and expended 84 kcal in 7 mins for the 7 min challenge in

BobHarper.com - Team Bob: AMRAP - YouTube

It is a good one and i did 2 rep +2 in beginner position. Heart rate stayed high in late 170s through out. I also want to check out JM 30 day shred some time...

6. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

Hi Laks09,

I checked out the schedule for 5k to couch and i thought it was very aggressive for a beginner or a fit person gone couch potato and it is almost impossible for a overweight couch potato who has never run in their lives. I would go at 1/3rd pace to 1/5th pace depending on how fit you are...I could barely run 2 mins(30 secs each time) in 10 mins in the early stages and it took me months to reach a comfortable 1 mile cont. pace (also becoz i was horribly overweight and it is very difficult to run with weight hanging around) and i ran 5 days a week for 12 mins max. I plan to do 5k in a few months(i can do 1 mile as of now)

kudos to you for trying this:)

7. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vibha..

Try this 3 Mega miles of Leslie with lot of twists in each mile...Leslie Sansone - 3 Mega Miles - YouTube Sure you will burn more cal close to 400 in 45 mins..as our heart rate increases a lot..

Sravani

1 person likes this.
  8. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Sravani for the link. I will try this soon and post my inputs here:) And may i say that you have done a wonderful job of losing so much weight...good inspiration for me!!

1 person likes this.
  9. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Thank You Vibha...glad to hear that, sure you will reach your goal..

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Vibha,
    Not sur where you looked but C25K is walk/run intervals. The first week is basically 1 min walk/1 min run. Yesterday I did week3 day 1. After warm up 2:30mins run/walk thrice and 1.5 min run/walk twice. Since the run intervals are only a short duration and I run slowly, I was able to manage. There are quite a few apps for this out there. Some are pace based and some time based. I use the time based one - 5K Runner - ClearSkyApps Also look at cool running.com. It has the plan online. Main thing is keeping it slow during the run intervals so you are ok to run the entire program. Also repeat weeks if needed. Give it a go, I'm not in shape but can manage. I'm sure you can! Btw, I run at a track. Another lady doing the program out there is obese(200 lbs). I asked her how it was going. She said she did each week twice. She is doing week 7 now and going strong, so you can do it. She has never done anything prior to this apparently. The only pre requisite is that you are able to walk 30-40 mins at a slow/moderate pace.

Regards,
    L