Expiry Date For Masala Products??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Mar 30, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It expired in December:(

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Maida (or All Purpose Flour) might acquire a brownish surface layer when it is stored for a long time without disturbing it. This brownish surface is actually tiny eggs of the bugs in the flour.

If the surface coloration is darker than the bottom (easily seen by lifting some flour with a spoon, and inspecting the contrasting colors between the new dimple and the rest of the surface around it. If very different, the flour should be discarded, even if it doesn't smell all that bad.

However, if it is only flour you've got, and you have a widespread curfew/lockdown/famine in the nation, you can gently remove the surface layer by carefully spooning off a little at a time, and recover the flour below. Then you can spread the flour on a ceramic plate, microwave that for a minute or so, and then use a sieve to remove chunks and onwards you may go to whatever you plan to use it for.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I don’t think that’s a problem..If spices are dry they’ll be ok...
    In future store spices in refrigerator if not using immediately...
    Refrigerating in airtight container also ensures that the flavour isn’t lost...
    If we prepare home made powders like Garam masalas, sambar, rasam powders etc at home we keep in fridge and take out smaller quantities in small box for immediate use...so flavour isn’t lost and remains fresh..
    fYi I have cardamom, pepper etc stored in freezer..about a year old...
    Packed cinnamon powder nearing best before date...
    I take from freezer or fridge and use as and when needed...

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

not sure about Maida as I don’t use much and buy very small quantity only if needs..I usually refrigerate, then it stays fresh...just inspect the Maida for smell and prescence of pests and decide...

anika987 likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you.
    I will check those. Besan flour is unopened. I got this pack last year January. I didn't use it at all. I got 2 packs last year. Used only one. One pack is unopened. It's 2lb pack. It was just lying in the pantry for a long time. I have to use those if it's good in this current situation. What about oats and quinoa?
    Will they have any worms and bad smell? I have both and it's opened pack. I use both. But, I got those packs last year. It's a big pack, got it from Costco. I am still using it. I always check for worms. But that doesn't have any smell. I don't know if I should discard it.

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

How about red chili powder?
    Even that hubby had got organic and it is expiring in two months.. Can that be refrigerated?

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Store it in freezer . But I will not risk using expired products . You can donate them to Gurudwar before expiry date since they are providing free food to the community

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Freeze down your spices and masala powders, both powder and whole. The oils will not go rancid as quickly and they will stay fresh longer. The better solution is to buy smaller packets in future and replenish often so they stay fresh.
    I get most of my spices from Penzey’s and get the smallest packs of whatever they don’t carry from the Indian store.

gknew, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  9. ranju5

ranju5 Silver IL'ite

If it is smelling a bit I would dry roast it and see if that helps others wise I would throw it as you dont want to have any problems. I have used ragi for making pudla and rice flour I used it up by making chakli. hope this helps