1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences as a new bride..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by honeybee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear ILites
    Please do share your interesting experiences here.. It could be some thing you did as a new bride..a learning experience ,a funny incident ,a simple mix-up of ingredients when you tried cooking for the first time, lighter moments in cooking , ANYTHING to make this thread an interesting place to visit.

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Let me make a start..
    I began my journey as a new bride in the US with very limited knowledge on cooking and knowing the preparations using a select few vegetables .( I was a picky eater and learnt to cook only the vegs of my choice!).:tongue

My first trip to Albertsons was an eye opener.. I was dazed to see the variety of vegetables and fruits on display.Name a veg and you get to see a minimum of 3-4 types of the same.My confusion doubled when I wanted to pick a pumpkin (parangikai,mathan!).There were specimens with names like acorn squash,butternut squash and what not,each variety having a different shade of outer skin..Seeing my facial expression my husband took the smart decision to take me to an Indian grocery shop.

It was then that I understood the meaning of the statement which frequently appears in all health magazines.."The more colourful your plate the more healthy you become".
    Will write a bit more on my cooking experience after your responses.

Regards
    Honeybee

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Sowmya,

Interesting thread! Pls finish your episode. Actually, I wanted to request u to start a recipe thread also. Have read your recipes in other sites and they are awesome. Hmm--am thinking abt the goof ups I made as a new bride! Will need two IL sites-- still am a jack in the kitchen.

4. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Sowmya,

Great idea, I am sure we'll hear quiet a bit of interesting tales.

Here are mine. My marriage was decided in three mths. Penn parkum padalam in june, engagement in july and wedding in August. So it came about as a surprise to me and at that point the one thing that I ever cooked was tea (yeah... there was not much cooking invloved).
    After my engagement my parents were busy giving out the invitations so they left me home oneday asking me to make some chappatis. I entered the kitchen with so much enthusiasm and happily made the chappatis and waited for my parents to come home. My dad took a bite and chewed, and he chewed and finally he said that it was like eating rubber. I was crushed... Now I think of that and it cracks me up. Today people say that my chappatis are very soft, even my dad...:yes:
    After my wedding, I lucked out I did not have to cook right away because my MIL was with us and she would ask me to cut veggies, or grate coconuts(hmmmmmmm... I guess she knew that I did not know cooking:-D). A few mths later I accompanied my husband to B'lore where he was working and we rented a small apartment. The first meal that I made was Rice, Sambhar and Potato fry. Well my husband eagerly came home to eat the food that I had made for dinner. He tried the sambhar and I still remember the look on his face...:frown: My husband cooks very well and he asked what are the things that I put in the sambhar and I very innocently said onion , tomato ,sambhar powder, tamarind(a lot of it). "Did you put any paruppu" he said, for which I replied "do I have to".Oops. I made my first sambhar without any toordal.

Oh I almost forgot to tell y'all about the rice. How can I forget that.Well I started making rice, washed the new cooker, washed the rice and put the little container in the cooker and closed it and gladly placed the weight on it. Few mts later there was a loud burst in the kitchen. Yes you all guessed it, I did not add any water in the pressure cooker to cook the rice. Again the I did not know that I was supposed to add water in the cooker. There was rice everywhere.DUH..... . I did manage to clean the kitchen before my husband came home:2thumbsup:.
    My husband and I think about this now sometimes and have a good laugh....
    Hope I did not bore y'all with my story,

Waiting to hear from others too,
    Jothi.

5. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Vidya
    Waiting for your inputs.Go ahead and give us some samples :tongue

Regards
    Sowmya

6. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Jothi
    That was interesting . :cool2: .
    My husband used to tell me.. "I can eat anything you cook.. it can't compete with my hostel food." His PG hostel experience was a blessing in disguise for me when we were newly wed.:yes:

Regards
    Sowmya

7. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Ladies i really enjoying reading everybody experiences, keep them coming:2thumbsup:

8. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Ahaan ! cheer why dont u share some of urs...

9. Madhubala

Madhubala New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Im new to this site and Im really happy to share my experience with u all.
    After my marriage, i came to Newyork with little bit of cooking knowledge.

I was married 7 months back, When i cooked for first time my husband didnt said anything.Now he was telling me tht im cooking good and can invite friends and relatives to our home for dinner or lunch.

Once i made chappati,and they r of different shapes.He commented tht i made chappati jst like the parts of world map.Till now i couldnot made chappatis good.:cry: .

I prepared Mysor pak,first time it was too soft.Second time it was so hard to eat.My husband said its jst like an hard rock.Third time i done well.:yes: .There is a saying "Experience make man perfect".For me this applies.:)

Hope i dont bore u all.

Cheers,
    Madhubala

10. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi all,
    here with iam sharing my experience...initial days of marriage will be heaven....hmm:mrgreen:
    after 1 month of my marriage,i prepared Dhokla,which is my hubby
    favourite item...i made it came out ok,my hubby said very superb.
    then next day my hubby went to his office & praise me well to all his colleague,see my wife prepared very superb Dhokla Gujarathi item..he was very happy...after 6 months i prepared the same he said hmm itz ok,next time prepare it good,then after 1 yr he said pls dont make Dhokla henceforth....:tongueitz not very bad...:mrgreen:
    i had prepared everytime the same method,but only difference is initial days of marriage & after 1 yr of marriage
    after that i didnt make the dhokla..:-D