1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with a baby shop

Discussion in 'Infants' started by VidyaaJ, Mar 19, 2010.

1. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hey ladies,

I am so frustrated after shopping with a baby shop in mylapore... I bought a new Medela swing from the US through one of my aunt...On the first day itself, by mistake I used the adapter without a converter and it was burnt..DH was not with me and I rushed to a shop near by to ask if I could do something with that... The guy in that shop got my pump with the adapter and asked me to come in the evening.. When I went in the evening he gave me a adapter, I thought mine was repaired and was asking him how much should I pay him.. He asked me to pay 2800 and said that he has given me a new one... I had no other go so I paid him 2800 and brought home the adapter inspite of having one more pump with me and thought it is too much for me to spend on it at that point of time...Immediately after reaching home, I called my aunt and said these details, she was so unhappy so she asked me to return it immediately and said one of her friend is coming India after two weeks so will get me a new one which is much cheaper than here and asked me to manage till then using the batteries... I called the guy to ask if he is ok with that.. he said he is fine and I returned the product in the next hour... He said he will be sending me a check for 2.8 k in next 2 days..

I waited for nearly a week and then called him.. He dragged it daily telling me hundreds of lame reasons and I used to go to his shop daily by auto and spent 100 rupees daily to go and ask him for the check as he stopped picking up my phone one particular time...

Finally after so many battles and after almost a month, he gave me the check for 2500 telling me that as I have used my debit card for the purchase, he has taken service charge of rs 300.. and if I refuse the check then he will not return the money at all.. I was really shocked to hear this statement.. and came home with that.. I have never seen service charges for debit card... He has actually taken his profit for the material without even selling the product and actually didnt even give me a bill for the product...

So sad to see people like this....

Vidyaa

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Vidyaa, I dont know if it is too late to give stop payment notice to your bank. If it is not, do it immediately. And approach a consumer support organisation like CAG or CAI for full refund. The contact numbers are there in the website. Is it the shop on Oliver road/ or is the one near Sanskrit College? I have had bad experiences with the one on Oliver Road - though it is very popular in the area and my in-laws' home is very closeby, I dont buy anything there anymore.

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    That's very sad that you had to run around to get your money back! Bad enough that they cheat and on top of that do not return the actuals on some pretext or other! Makes you wary of them for life!
    Do gve a stop payment like Tikka has said, if it is not too late!

4. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Tikka, it is a debit card payment.. and the amount got debited from my account already.. It is the one in the Vivekananda college road opposite to sanskrit college...
    I will see those sites and will see what to do next tikka
    Yes Janani, atleast they should have said this to me on the same day ..

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Thats rreally sad vidyaa. I also spoke to the person in the shop for medela initially. But then later bought an Avent at Adyar.
    You definitely need to do somehting about this. People cannot take us for a ride, esp. with moms whom they know don't have a choice but to come to them.

6. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Thats a very bad experience. 've also noticed that the cost of things at a baby shop is very very high than the same elsewhere. Just one example..We checked out a high chair at a baby shop in Annanagar, it was around Rs.2K. The very same model cost us Rs.1100 at Mera Toy Shop in Annanagar...Same with a bag which I bought for Rs. 650 from the baby shop (I fell for the look of it)...A few weeks later, I found the same bag (the same make, color, everything) for only Rs.450 at a couple of other stores...I felt so cheated and have stopped purchasing from baby shops anymore...Really, they do take us for granted.