Exclusive Rant Thread On Current Affairs.

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by blindpup10, Jul 21, 2016.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Who would listen to a celebrity's advice on anything? Amitabh's granddaughters, bless them, will be able to lead the lives of their choosing just on the basis of their fortunate parentage. This will have no bearing on the hundreds of millions of Indian women who still have to live under someone else's thumb. If the Big B really wanted to do something meaningful he could have announced a social initiative.

Rihana, vaidehi71 and blindpup10 like this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

After getting headaches trying to follow the US election with with a choice between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum I want to paraphrase Green Day's classic single: Wake me up when November ends.

JGVR, Amica, ashima10 and 1 other person like this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Why would some one make the personal letters public , what is the need ?

I was aghast when he married of his daughter at 20 as if marriage is the whole purpose of her life , what isthe use of being such a big celebrity when you get daughter married of at young age as if there is nothing to achieve in life.now I see his daughter always tagging along mom , dad, Bhai and bhabhi to all celebrity events , makes me wonder if she is trying to live her unrealized ambitions.

I don't put much value to his advice.

songbird46, Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Canadian Federal Judge Robin Camp- asked the rape victim "why she couldn't keep her knees closed" :eek:
    This judge had the balls to say to the accused man after acquitting him "I want you to tell your friends, your male friends, that they have to be more gentle with women.They have to be far more patient. To protect themselves, they have to be careful"
    Victimizing the victim much?
    Canadian Judge Robin Camp to woman in rape case: 'Why couldn't you just keep your knees together' - CNN.com

Happens very much in the first world country too.

MalStrom and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That was my exact first response on reading the news. And even more outrageous was the defense he presented later on finding himself in hot water:

"My colleagues knew my knowledge of Canadian law was very minimal. It was nonexistent," Camp said, according to the Canadian Press. "Please remember I wasn't in this country through the 1960s, '70s and '80s. I was in South Africa, where we had other issues."
    Canadian judge in rape case apologizes for asking 'why couldn't you keep your knees together?'

Disgusting to read his exact words about the woman and sinking into wash-basin and all.

ashima10 and blindpup10 like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OK now looks like there is a book on Bachchan Jr by his lifelong photographer Pradeep Chandra.. it has photos and anecdotes that showcase Abhishek Bachchan's childhood, youth, blah and personal life etc. Well.. make money, publish book.. fine...

But I was reading this article in rediff about the book https://www.amazon.com/Abhishek-Bachchan-Substance-Pradeep-Chandra/dp/9385285297 Sorry to observe that the patriarchy baton has been handled well and intact to the son:

From the article:
    They watch soccer matches together and, since the time he was a kid, Amitabh would treat him like an equal, like the man of the house.
    When he would leave for an out-of-town schedule, Pa would request me to look after my Ma and sister.

Whenever we would be caught in a crowd, his index finger would drop right before my eyes and I would clutch at it.

Ma and Shwetdi would be there, trailing behind us and he would say, while holding my hand, 'Come, let's look after the women'.

As if the text wasn't revolting enough, there are two pictures of parent kissing child on the mouth. Sheesh!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

I found this to be an excellent insight on American Psyche.

Title of the video is "How to Interpret the US Presidential elections 2016 in terms of the Myth of American Exceptionalism" by Rajiv Malhotra.