Excessive hairfall after stopping all medicines..

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by amicably, Dec 28, 2015.

1. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I have been experiencing heavy hairfall since last 3-4 weeks. I have stopped all medicines since I am unable to decide what next to do.. However, I am experiencing heavy hairfall since last 3 weeks. I know hairfall is on rise during winters but its just too much. I am scared to wash or comb my hair.

Sorry for an off-topic post.. but I believe this is because I have stopped all the medicines, not even taking folic acid. I just take satavari powder with milk everyday. That's it, no medicines other than that. I had experienced such extreme hairfall couple of years ago when I had stopped all medicines.. however, I was out of india and thought its because of extreme winter there or the water. Things were normal when I returned to India, however I started my treatments once I was back.

Any home remedies to tackle this situation? I dont want to see any doctor and take medicines for this as it might play with my hormones which I do not want to in any case.. I have still not given up.

2. MLP1

MLP1 Silver IL'ite

Have you stopped medicines based on the doctor's recommendation? Also, folic acid is a nutritional supplement and not a medicine. I would suggest that you take vitamins, a balanced diet of course and external care. Castor oil helps with hair, so does fenugreek (methi) seeds in olive oil.

3. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Hi MLP1,

Yes, doctors has not prescribed any medicines for the time I am not undergoing IVF. She has not told me to continue or stop with folic acid, I will check with her.

I had applied castor oil over weekend.. will continue that for few more weeks. I do not apply oil on daily basis as I do not like to come to office with sticky hairs :(

should I soak / paste / heat fenugreek seeds in olive oil ?

4. Maggilg

Maggilg Senior IL'ite

Hi Amicably,
    Some of the reasons for excess hair fall I know are stress,fever,changes in water,thyroid some medications and dandruff. As mentioned by previous poster oiling and massaging might help.

5. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Thanks @Maggilg..

Will religiously follow the oil and massage routine for sometime now..

6. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

Eat veggies, fruits n green leaf

Soak triphala (whole) in water for 4hrs after that soak henna with fenugreek seed paste n hibiscuses leaf paste in triphala for 3hrs

Apply it for 1 hr

Do dis every week

Apoky almond oil every other day n wash u'r hair with shikakai powder r whole u'r wish. R u can use shikakai based shampoo . but see that sulphate n sodium is not present in the shampoo

7. MLP1

MLP1 Silver IL'ite

Sorry I just saw this. I didn't know you were undergoing IVF. Please check with the doctor about vitamins and other nutritional supplements, I'm not sure if you are asked to stop those.

Take a bottle and put one cup of methi seeds. Then put one cup of olive oil. Close the bottle and let it sit for one week. Then apply to hair and keep one to two hours, then wash off. I've heard this does wonders for hair fall.

I apply hair oil on alternate nights and wash the next morning before going for work. I used to have thin hair but after oiling hair regularly for past 2 years it is becoming slightly better. There is hereditary hair loss in my family so I am taking precautions from a young age itself.

Hair loss is also caused by low ferretin and Vit D levels. Please have them checked for sure.

Many people say onion juice applied to scalp for 15 min and washed off stops hair fall. It stinks but I am planning to try. Need to work hard to keep hair beautiful.

PM me or reply if you want more hair fall remedies if above dont worry.

One last thing. Please dont misunderstand but pls dont take stress during IVF. Hair fall can be controlled. My cousin went through the same thing so I am telling you as a sister.

Thanks,
    MLP1

1 person likes this.
  8. MLP1

MLP1 Silver IL'ite

One last thing. If nothing works go to an ayurvedic doctor and get an oil. See if you can find Kottakkal Arya Vaida Sala branch. Nellibhringadi thailam and Bhringamalakadi thailam are best for hair fall.

If you can't find it, buy a Bhringraj Oil.

9. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

10. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vani, @MLP1, @g3sudha for your suggestions.

I was taking DHEA supplements, progynova and progesterone supplements when undergoing IVF, the DHEA supplement contained folic acid as well. Now that I am not undergoing IVF atleast for sometime, I was told to discontinue progynova and progesterone supplements. My doc also had told me to discontinue DHEA as I might now go for a donor egg cycle.

I generally use anti-dandruff and silk-e-shine shikakai powder (it contains many other things) alternately for hairwash to keep hairfall and dandruff under control, but hairfall has never been this scary to me.

Will try out a few things that fits my routine and strictly follow the hair hygiene of oiling and hairwash to bring it under control. Olive oil and fenugreek seems to be a very good option or bhringraj oil.