1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Exceptional Discipline

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, May 7, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

As all schools do, my children's school also had a Prize Day each year, where they award prizes in various categories to students,

I have two fond memories of prize days.

(1)

One year, one of my children won a lot of prizes. When his hands were full, he was looking for help. I walked up to him from the audience and he handed me the prizes and certificates he had. Since I knew that more was coming, I just stood next to him. As he got more awards, he would hand them to me. Everybody was amused by this.

His name was called for an award in biology. The biology teacher walked to the podium and our son did likewise. Instead of handing the prize to our son, the biology teacher waved him aside and handed the prize directly to me (since that is where it ended up anyway) -- the whole crowd broke up with laughter.

(2)

When son got dressed up for another prize day, he somehow got the notion that he wasn't going to tuck in his shirt. I didn't like this and tried to persuade him to change his mind, during the car ride to school, and while waiting for the event to begin.

At the start of the event, he moved away from from me to sit with the other kids. Whenever he made eye contact with me, I would make gestures with my head, indicating that I want that shirt tail tucked in. And he would ignore my pleas. This continued throughout the ceremony. When we were going home, he told me that he asked Stephanie (the girl he was sitting next to), whether he should tuck his shirt in and Stephanie told him that he looked better with the shirt tail out -- now she was the expert :)

We soon forgot about this event. A couple of years later, we happened to see a recommendation letter that one of his teachers had written. This was not meant to be seen by us but things like this happen. She must have seen the interaction between me and my son during that prize day. Here is her version of the event:

"The student's family is an Indian family and, unlike the typical American family, have exceptional discipline [!!!!!] The dad's word is gospel [!!!!!] During the prize day, as the student's name was called, he would get up and look for his dad's approval each time, before he went to pick up his award [!!!!!] I have never seen anything like this. I wish that American families had such discipline."

*** Added 4 hours later ***

I was screwing up my face in a stern expression, gesturing with my fingers, and mouthing "now", to mean

"You better tuck your shirt in now"

but the teacher thought that I was saying

"I give you permission now to go pick up your award"

:)

This is the closest he ever came to adolescent rebellion -- so, I guess that I should really thank my lucky stars. Eldest children (including me) are so meek :)

*** End of addition ***

When he saw this report, son said this:

"It is rather scary what conclusions people draw from your actions."

We also had a big chuckle.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had a good :biglaugh:biglaughwhen i read the last few lines. The poor lady mistook your pleas and his ignoring you for exceptional discipline :)

Akila

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Both were quite funny Sojourner. But the second one was exceptional. -rgs

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Both were so nice sojourner ....

>>>>>>Instead of handing the prize to our son, the biology teacher waved him aside and handed the prize directly to me >>>>>>

(1) How proud you would have felt about getting prizes... for your son sojourner:cheers.......though the audience laughed.....

[​IMG]

(2) decipher of action ....very funny ...but atleast it was a compliment for you and your son for being so disciplined...

[​IMG]

5. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai sojo,

romba perumaerukka vunga paiyanukku kodukuru prizeha vungalukku koduthadu. Indireclty they said you only made your son too good in his studies the school was thought of appreciating the parents than the student. Nie one sojo. all the best to your sons.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sojourner,

these are memories that you cherish. you have a great sons..and this tiny teeny rebellion is ok. i guess.

i really had a great laugh at the exceptional discipline...

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Thanks for all the comments.

I tried to raise happy and productive children -- not necessarily disciplined ones.

It was funny that the teacher mistook our argument for utter obedience on son's part :)

He is graduating from graduate school on May 20, 2011. I think that he will wear a suit, with an academic cape and gown over it. Whether he tucks in his shirt tail or not is his problem not mine :) I can't advise him even if I wanted too, since I will be seated a safe distance away :)