Evochef Automatic Dosa Maker - Would You Buy?

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Rihana, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

From the website EVOCHEF LLP | Smart Dosa Maker | Fully Automatic Dosa Making
    The Smart Fit for Your Kitchen: Automatic Dosa Maker. You can get endless varieties of dosas right at home!

* Plain * Rava * Ragi * Kambu * Two colour dosa * Tri-colour dosa * Bajra dosa * Oats * Crepes

Ghee, butter and cheese can also be added to the dosa as desired.

The Rs 15,999 dosa maker has a batter tank capacity of 700ml.

So, would you buy this automatic dosa maker? Why or why not? :grinning:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Me ... yet to buy the roti maker. : )

Main reason I wouldn't buy the dosa maker is that it would take up counter space. A funny reason is I wouldn't like a square or rectangle dosa.

They don't ship to the Americas yet (no 110v models yet). But the machine looks sleek. If the footprint is not too big, I might buy it for the novelty, after knowing how much effort it is to wash the batter tank, and how the roller gets cleaned. Would oil or grease collect over time like it does in a kadhai?

candidheart and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

If my memory serves correctly there was a brand called “DOSA KING” whose IPO FAILED MISERABLY sometime in 1980s.
    THEY HAD carried out street demonstrations in metros including New Delhi but found eventually no market. A spate of complaints about too many mechanical movements resulting in asynchronous function wasting the dough and machine giving of rotting smell etc.

Anyways God bless the crisp-buyers !

Rihana likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So this thing has to measure the correct quantity of rice/urad dal/Methi seeds. Then it needs to wash/soak/grind and ferment it. Then the next day dosas should come out crisp and brown and it should also make soft fluffy idlis. If the rice is new, it needs to put it in a corner in the pantry for a year before using it again. If the urad dal is rising too much then it should adjust the quantities for next time using “intelligence”. It dosa isn’t crisp then adjust the dal quantity. If idli doesn’t rise well then the fermentation process etc. If it does all that, I can consider it.

5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

:grinning: dosa (doshai as we call) is not a food. It's an emotion.
    The task of dosa making goes like this.
    1) rinse the iron tawa and put it in the stove
    2) once the tawa is hot take half a spoon of oil and put it on the tawa, with a tissue spread the oil.
    3) One ladle of dosa batter spread it, pour a spoon of oil along the edges (oil less for me now), half a spoon of ghee (for the lil one) . Once once I see the edges lifting up, flip it over n cook on medium to slow flame.
    For people who prefer soft dosas remove from tawa Quickly, for those who prefer muru muru roast (like me) keep for extra one minute.
    Enjoy this with chutney, sambhar, dhal powder etc.

So easy isn't it?
    Nothing can best the taste of dosa cooked on iron tawa . I have always brought the latest non stick n never used it for dosa after trying one or two dosa.

I wouldn't buy this because dosa making is super easy. Plus the grilled sandwich maker which I purchased from Amway 10 years back was used for less than 10 times so far. I somehow hate cleaning these items . Me and electronic cooking items in the kitchen don't get along well .

6. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

For me the rectangle dosa is a major turn off. Would never buy it!

7. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

oh yeah

start with iconic kallu dosai with mollagai pudi. sambar and coconut chutnet

end with pongal vadai sambar with lot of ghee and sambar .

sleep for the whole day

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

To avoid this headache I am using my Vitamix :hearteyes: Ok now let me go soak the rice and dal for dosa this weekend :grimacing:
    As @Anusha2917 mentioned, Dosa is not Dosa if it’s not made on cast iron tawa!

If the machine does better job in doing dosas than each and every restaurant in Bangalore then I will buy it! If not noooooo!!
    Dosa is an emotion for us :hearteyes:

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

These stuff can be useful for a hotel but not a home I feel..unless there are too many people living..even then!

Nothing beats anything than the traditional method of making..

Infact cleaning these items are more time consuming,uneeded hoarding and all these inventions are making people lazier than ever lol..

On a side note, someone told me they even make peanut butter sandwiches and freeze it in some stores..I mean how long does it take to make a sandwich?

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It’s something I wouldn’t consider necessary. I buy dosa and even adai batter from our local Indian store. I still have the trusty iron dosa tava I brought with me on my very first trip to the US. Once I have the system going it takes mere seconds to turn out fresh crisp dosas. And the thought of another gadget on the counter is enough of a deterrent.