1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Everyone is egoistic these days

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tinku, May 24, 2011.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Halo everybody
    I am married for the past ten years but postponed the kid and now for the past 4 years am trying for one.
    I dont know where to post this discussion as I think if this issue is really related to this section. Sorry moderators. You can move this to any other realted section.

Of late I am noticing more and more ego problems with many of them I have to deal with. I dont know whether something has gone wrong with my mind or things have changed worse with others too. I feel that they enjoy hurting me.
    The reason for my feeling bad is that whenever I go to any function or speak with any other person I can notice that many are answering/talking to others with a great ego put up on their heads.
    Even for simple questions, they give answers as if they want to show that they are not less. Or they think they are giving back nicely. Hence I dont want to speak with anyone for that matter. I hate to go to any parties or functions or to talk with relatives too.
    When I asked my aunt's DIL (say X) how my aunt would prepares veg Noodles, she said X would cook adding a little butter in the end. I dont understand why she wouldnt answer how my aunt makes the noodles. Instead she was answering how she herself made it.
    And the other day, she was saying that she was lighting a lamp in a temple every friday. I asked her (Ya I shudnt have asked her so) "Enna Venduthala?", and she said all for you only (what a stupid comment). I clearly know she is not bothered about anyone in her husband's side. Then why such a nasty comment? I dont understand what makes her ego raise to her head for simple useless matters. She could have politely replied that she will tell once the prayer is fulfilled and avoided me. She is a B.E. grad and recently married and has a kid too.
    And yet another day, she wants to know about an alliance for her mother's sister's son where the proposed girl lived in my area. When I made a call, she asked me if I knew the girl and I said I dont know her, may be my MIL might know and that I will ask her and tell. Till date she has never turned up to check it up with me. She has even met me thrice after that.
    I usually call her and she just attends my calls. She never calls me, but calls only in rare cases like when there was an eclipse(at the time you dont have anything to do and will feel bored, I could understand it) and one more time when we were all planning to stay in my cousins house for her marriage (my two other cousins (her age) would leave her alone and be busy receiving others in a function)
    And sometimes when I call her, while talking she would say 1 minute and give the mobile to her husband(my aunt's son) and he would continue talking with me.
    Once when she came to a doctor in my area, I was in her area shopping with my neighbours. She called me and I said I was shopping. She kept repeating thrice that they both came with their kid to the doctor and thought to come to my house. Later I learnt from my husband that the doctor was not available and they were bored to go to their house and I and my husband invited them for a dinner that weekend. We had to call them everytime to check whether they were really coming as she said she had a doubt that they might be busy with their business. And we called them 4 to 5 times to make sure they are coming but she would call me only once just to confirm whether my husband would be available to give company to her husband. I was really fed up with these two ediots.
    I always try to be polite with others. Sometimes I even take it when others hurt me with their words. All these years I never spoke back. But now I feel like I should have given back nicely. I only feel sad for treating me this way.
    I dont know what problem goes on in their minds. Is it because I dont have a kid?

And few more such instances. I dont understand what this ediot has in her head. Is she alright and am I taking it too hard or is she really speaking wrong or is she very egoistic?
    These days I am avoiding to make any calls to her since I couldnt stand her behaviour towwards me. And she is younger than me atleast for 5 years.

Dear ILs, please post your valuable comments on this issue.

2. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Omg She is your cousins wife why are you getting so worked up by her behavior and attitude. Who cares if she has ego or not. Well you were not home when they were in your neighbouhood. so what, no need to give special forceful invitation for dinner.
    Come on dear let go, you are giving way too much importance to her.
    Good luck to you and baby dust on you. Focus on your goals in life.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

My honest opinion:

If you let others to hurt you, then they seem like more trouble.
    Every relation has a line where it has to be stopped at. Instead of getting stressed at small things, please focus and divert energy to think of good things in life.
    That will help yourself and your family as a whole unit

all the best for your TTC

4. Umlaut

Umlaut Silver IL'ite

I am sure you will get more level headed advise from others IL's.

But according to me X sounds so pompous! I don't know the reason why she is like this because in my experience, pompous people don't need a reason to behave so. So don't beat yourself trying to analyse why she is like this.

I would suggest that you reduce contact with her to the barest minimum socially possible. If people cannot respect the fact that someone is trying to develop a good relationship with them then best to leave them to themselves.

She will realise her loss afterwards.

5. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I guess you are completely stressed at the moment. Else why would you be worried about your cousin's wife. Seriously i won't even bother much.

Take a break. Go for some nice massage or something. Focus on other good things in life.

6. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Stop thinking too much!! Relatives are like that only. She might have hurt by someone else. Now she is passing her frustration to all. Better keep distance. Call when situation requires. If you dont find her friendly dont call her.

7. swathika

swathika Junior IL'ite

Sorry if I sound rude but most of the instances that you mention about X sound so common to me. That venduthalai thing, so many people mention that ! You can actually take it positively that your cousin's wife is thinking of you at least while talking. About her checking about some girl, well you did say that you will check with your MIL. probably she checked via someone else and did not let you know. Its no big deal. and visiting family, yes you combine things. If you are in a particular area you try to meet people as well.

Personally speaking, she is just your cousin's wife so you need not be bothered so please ignore. Even otherwise these are very small things to be thought about !

8. naanvetti

naanvetti Senior IL'ite

Don't worry. I think she has an attitude problem and because you are already stressed, this is getting too much onto you. Things will get better for you.
    Not easy but just ignore her like stop calling her for a few weeks & I think she will surely call you. Just ignore her

9. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

tinku,
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I think as people grow, they tend have their ego also grow..we all miss being child and also being childishness. I think it it time to give back to your cousin wife and teach her some manners. :cheers

In India, even if it is cousin wife it matters big, in US who cares for cousin wife because lots of them are very independent and does not care about relatives. I think in India it matters, cousins wife, aunt's sister...whoever if they show their ego to us...give them back nice lesson :bonk

After teaching nice lesson you can go for good massage or nice coffee :coffee

10. sindura16

sindura16 Bronze IL'ite

tinku

i think u r planning for kids and that tension might effected you in ur confidence...

some people in India they themselves give lots of importance as if they are really busy people and everyone should oblige them...you have to draw a line where they can stop intruding ur personal space..

we should be cordial to all relatives but that does not mean they rule you...

start avoiding them as much as possible and don't go for tit for tat ..it will just ruin ur peace in life...sometimes keeping quite is the best medicine...