1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Every situation in life is a learning experience

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Feb 8, 2013.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Life is like an adventure, you have to gain experience from it, by not experiencing the real world, there's no meaning to life. Life is like a game, if you dont play the game the right way, you end up playing it the hard way.
    Wazim Shaw quotes

We all learn from experience. In one day we cant learn everything. To learn something we have to have the patience. First we make mistakes and from mistakes only we learn. When I was young I never thought of learning cooking because my mother was there, grandmother was there and my elder sister was there. I thought whole life is there to learn cooking. Why waste my time in that and should enjoy life to the fullest that time.

I used to collect recipies and also used to try some. Once I tried to make groundnut halwa. Should have tried making little but tried with more . That time my bhabhi was pregnant. She could not stand the smell and my sweet did not turn out well. Another time I tried to make decotion. I used to think you have to put 3 spoons of coffee powder for each person. So once when my cousins were coming put more spoons of coffee powder.

The experience gathered from books, though often valuable, is but of the nature of learning; whereas, the experience gained from actual life is of the nature of wisdom; and a small store of the latter is worth vastly more than any stock of the former.
    Samuel Smiles quotes

Only after marriage I learnt cooking properly. I never knew that I will be married to a family where everyone including the men will be experts in cooking. So used to be scared while cooking whether the dish will come out properly or not. In the earlier stages my brother in law, dh's two nephews, my mother in law all were there. So everyone used to cook together so I did not have any problem.

Three simple rules in Life:
    1. If you do not go after what you want, you will never have it;
    2. If you don’t ask, the answer will always be no……………………..
    3. If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

So, Dare to Believe ; Dare to Dream ; Dare to Achieve.Mistakes are the usual bridge between inexperience and wisdom.~ Phyllis Theroux

Somehow learnt to make Mysore Pak which is difficult for some. Now after joining IL through Chitvish recipie learnt 7 cups which everyone likes. Earlier I used to get worried if someone is coming for lunch. But now got some experience. Of late I make Uppu Kozakattai and Tomato Chutney if anyone comes int he evening and everyone likes and have appreciated also or make Pongal and Tomato Chutney. My younger brother in law is expert in cooking and also a caterer and this time when he had come with dh's nephew he said pongal was very tasty.

No use in learning if you don’t know what you’ve learned
    No use in taking action if you don’t know what you want to achieve. ~ Rabbi You can’t go through life quitting everything. If you’re going to achieve anything, you’ve got to stick with something .

5 people like this.

2. archuvimal

archuvimal New IL'ite

true.. i ve also experienced this..
    having got married without knowing to cook.., i feel proud that i could cook a few dishes better than even my expert cook MIL... IL had made life pretty simple..
    your lines coincides with my life either..
    life is all about learning. no matter how many times you fall.. life wants us to get up and keep going..

1 person likes this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Cooking ..now thats an interesting topic.Believe it or not when we got married my husband was a better cook compared to me :)
    But then slowly i learnt to cook and even now i cant say i am the best cook around even after 8 years of marriage.But all i can is whatever i make my son and husband love it...and thats more than enough for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Archu dear welcome to my thread. Glad to know that you cook few dishes better than your mil and glad you IL helped you. Thanks for your lovely post

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dinny dear glad to know that you husband is a good cook and to know that they like your cooking.

6. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

Awesome post Viji maa. Not only in cooking in any field practice makes one perfect :)

1 person likes this.
  7. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vitamin Viji aunty,
    A timely post.......:)
    I am having some guests tomorrow for dinner......just made the preliminary preparations and this time I did a trial of 'pudhina vadai' and 'vegetable rice' which have come well.....
    DH said, "maintain the same for tomorrow".....
    Hope, things turn fine tomorrow.....shall update you with the results......:)

2 people like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Savvy dear glad to see you here , glad you liked the post and thanks for the appreciation. True practice makes perfect in every field.

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Vitamin niece Bhargavi glad that it was a timely post. All the best for tomorrow and I know your cooking will be a hit as you are an all rounder and perfect in everything whether it is making any craft, whether cooking or whether writing. Three cheers to you dear and I am waiting for the day when we get an opportunity to meet.Glad to know you tried pudhina vadai and vegetable rice which came out well. Waiting for a write up from you about the dishes you make tomorrow and how was the day with the guests.

1 person likes this.