1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Every person has something to Learn from!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Jun 30, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi friends!
    This incident is quite old. That day I was watching a show on a local channel, where celebrity couples from diverse cultures are invited. The anchor interviews them about how they came to know about each other? What was a turning point in their life? How do they gel with each other’s family and customs and all? I liked this program as there’s quite a lot to learn from people coming from different backgrounds and living under one roof happily.
    So friends, there was this couple- husband n wife, both renowned names in Hindi Television industry. Husband is a Marathi manoos (boy) while wife is a Punjabi kudi( girl). They both come from very different cultures yet I could feel pretty good vibes between them. When she asked hubby about what he liked the best about his wife; he gave a very modest reply. He said that in his family, the upbringing was a bit strict; they were exposed to limited things. It used to be-don’t do this, don’t do that. There was one dish prepared for breakfast and a common meal, irrespective of their choices and everyone was supposed to eat it without making any fuss. It was not that they could not afford something better but it was rather pure culture. While, when he got married to this girl, she would have two three options for breakfast and everybody was served as per individual choices. So most of the times, family was happy. Secondly, she has a different mindset, instead of saying just don’t do this, she generally tells the reason why one shouldn’t do that; which seems quite logical.
    Friends, with my due respect to all maharashtrians (I’m also a maharashtrian), I would like put forth this point here, that yes, what this guy said is pretty true. A typical sort of a culture prevails in all maharashtrian families, irrespective of their social, economical and educational standard. I also remember, when we were small and mother used to cook bitter gourd, we just wouldn’t eat our proper meals. Ours was a joint family and that was the rule that you got to eat whatever was cooked. But later my mom started preparing one more vegetable for kids so that we eat well. We are all taught to live in limited resources even though we’ve enough to spend, save and sometimes spurge too. The elders were very strict and a rule was a rule for everybody.
    So friends, I gave that interview a serious thought and tried something new. Now I make two-three things as per the choice of my family members and have witnessed a drastic change in eating habits. My younger daughter also enjoys eating now. Again instead of saying a no-no, I’ve started orienting things with a more positive approach, this has also brought some changes in overall outlook of the family.
    I learnt to have an open-minded approach to everything.
    I learnt the trick to make your family happy with a li’l change here n there.
    I learnt the art of cooking delicious meals and serving them with great fervor.
    I learnt that instead of overloading family with your own experiences, it’s good to let them get a feel of it and move on in life. Ofcourse you should be there as a guide.
    I appreciate this approach to lead a peaceful and happy life; how about you?
    Regs J

1 person likes this.

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

yes we feel bad when kids or someone in the family doesnt eat well..so my mom if she cooks something that i dont like she will make some omlette or fry some fritters along with food so that we can have some good meal..this makes us feel that we are also given importance..

1 person likes this.
  3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anukarsha...
    Very thoughtful post in fact an inspiring one....Thanks Sushma for unearthing this gem of snippet...

1 person likes this.
  4. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite

hi

nice perception. i too will like to follow the same.

lakshmi

1 person likes this.
  5. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear Sushma for your reply.

6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot dear VJ for your loving reply.

7. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear lakshmi for your reply...

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anuraksha,

Congratulations on being nominated to FP for this post. I must admit that this is one optimistic post.:thumbsup Just by satisfying everyone's taste buds, you have aimed at a very happy family atmosphere. You are right, after all, the way to win a heart is through the stomach.:)

It was nice to know that a TV program leaves such an impression on you. Reason is not what the couple on TV share, reason is that you are so perceptive and have tried to apply your thoughts to improve the quality of life. Good going!:thumbsup

L, Kamla

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anukarsha,

It was really nice to hear of a happy couple from diverse backgrounds adjusting to each other's ways.

Coming to the old culture of one common meal for everyone, like it or lump it, yes it does sound very harsh. But when we think of big joint families, it would be hard enough for the women to cook 3-4 meals for so many people, let alone whip up a variety to suite various palates. Today it is surely that much easier, but this individualism goes to an extreme, especially when in a family of just 2 - say husband and wife - each person wants something different, something fresh at every meal, in just the right quantities in order to avoid wastage and either one person adjusts all the time or the home becomes a restaurant - an a la carte menu on a daily basis. At such times, I do feel it was not a wrong thing to do - make different dishes everyday so that each person got to eat food to their tastes - BUT whatever was made on a certain day would have to be eaten by all. Some degree of discipline is certainly essential to enable all of us to live smoothly as a family.