1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ever faced discrimination as a daughter

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by godsgp, May 4, 2010.

1. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Cuties,

Very glad to hear that you have wonderful life partner. Yes, your DH is right. You need to count on your blessings and always keep smiling :thumbsup

2. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

I felt bad while reading each one's experience. Its really great that you all have overcome that and have achieved in life. In our house we are two (me and Bro)and we were treated the same. Same kind of eduction both are computer engineers (there was discrimination here, I got a payment seat, but bro got a free seat), equal share in property and every thing equal. The extra amount my parents spent in my education, they deposited a equal amount in my bro's name. The money they spent for my marriage they will definitely be spending the equal amount or little more (coz I got married 5 years back and he will get married in couple of years may be) the amount in my brother's wedding.

We now equally take care of them. My parents are financially independent but I tell my bro if I wish to do something to them and take his opinion and its the vice versa. I think this habit came just because right from childhood our parents treated us equally in everything. Believe me my brother knows as much as cooking as me as my mom trained us both equally. May be I am better now as I got married and learnt more :)

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Just like the poster above, I too felt bad reading some of the posts here. I never felt discriminated by my parents. My parents love both me and my brother equally.. Infact if you ask my brother, he would say he felt discriminated....LOL.

My parents gave me absolute freedom growing up and never restricted me in anything......and I never abused that freedom. I guess I am very lucky that way.

4. ushkrish

ushkrish New IL'ite

hi,
    i am happy that there was no discrimination in our house inspite of the fact that we are 6 girls an d a boy in our house. we were treated alike and given equal opportunity in education etc., so no regrets.

5. raha256

raha256 Bronze IL'ite

Never. infact when i delivered my DD, my dad said that we are lucky to have a daughter. "SAMATU POONU PETHA" was the comment i got from my relatives. my dad gave all courage, wisdom and encouraged me to be bold and strong.

but on the other hand my Inlaws are toooooooo much into this. they were not happy when i delivered my DD. No joy in their heart. i am a cursed female for them. one of our relative (inlaws side) delivered a male baby. everyone in my inlaws side praised her and said she is blessed by god.

6. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Good Joke indeed:biglaugh

Did your IL's take some refresher course from God like people above:bonk on the topic what is considered as blessing ??? :crazy

7. Roopamanju

Roopamanju Platinum IL'ite

hi cuties,

count me too.My mother never pampered me (that's ok ) but she often use to ill treat me as if it's a sin being a girl , but she pampers my cousin(her brother's daughter),there was a discrimination in every thing (school, bag ,pocket money etc.,)things went worse when i got married they never treated me as thier own child, my mom use to tellwhatever we do to u is waste of money.she often use to hurt me eg: My aunt had a huge collection of books and left it in my granny's house after marriage , i'm fond of reading books and asked those books from my dad but my mother told," No! these are not meant for u but for our "DIL"(my brother is just 16 now) .I was totally depressed by these words,my post delivery period is the worst days in my life which i wish to delete from my memory if possible.By god's grace my DH is very supportive , but she use to tell i've got got much more than what i deserve!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  8. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

I thought i was the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I was not discriminated but was over protected by my parents...they treated me like a precious jewel that needs to be kept in a lock & key. They let my brother go out and about without much restrictions but I was accompanied by someone everywhere I needed to go. I used to hate it!

10. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

If anything, I wished my parents treated me like a girl :-D I was a tom-boy, errand-runner, chauffeur (rather racer), helper-around-the-house, the eternal destroyer of things, miserable with household stuff - organizing, cleaning, blah blah blah! They motivated me with my education, helped me choose a field, made me take up higher studies,helped me take to my interests like dance and music when other 'girl' cousins learnt to cook..

No absolutely, no discrimination!! The only strict rule was to be back home as early as possible, because there were no proper street lights in our area.. But have stayed out until 9/10 in the night... I've really been blessed with such wonderful parents!

1 person likes this.