Eve Teasing in Delhi

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by Sonya4mdelhi, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Sonya4mdelhi

Sonya4mdelhi Senior IL'ite

Every young girl Delhi knows about this. This is a huge problem faced by almost every girl in the capital. Doesn't matter where you are, there is always a huge chance that you might encounter some tharki who will comment on you or look at you weirdly. The worst part is that it is not limited to a certain age group. From young boys to middle aged men (Ewww....) do these type of harkatein...

Tell me what is your experience? Have you ever encountered such kind of harassment ever? Please tell me your experience.

2. HarleenSethi

HarleenSethi New IL'ite

Yes, eve teasing is pretty rampant in Delhi. During my visits to Delhi, I sometimes have to travel in public transport in Delhi. If you are seated in DTC or Blue line buses, men will come and rub their legs against your shoulder.. If you are standing, then of course now and then men brush closely against you. Grabbing, winking etc everything is par for the course.
    The new Green Marcopolo buses are a real pain. There is hardly any aisle space and even with the best of intentions you can't help it. My cousins say that they gather their dignity, cross the aisle and stand next to the driver where there is fortunately a little space.

3. geeta2009

geeta2009 New IL'ite

Not only in Delhi, eve teasing is common everywhere. What I have realized is that people with sick mentality are everywhere. They are just looking for a chance to make their sick and perverted moves. the best option for us is to just ignore them, because giving them any attention makes them happy.

I know its sick, but that's the way it is. So, be safe ladies... and make sure you don't get played by these sick morons.

4. gopianthchennai

gopianthchennai New IL'ite

bus harassment not only in delhi

u can see in chennai city buses also

becareful girls

Cheers
    Gopinath

5. CynthiaG

CynthiaG New IL'ite

Oh my God!!! Your horror stories have really scared me from coming to Delhi. I live in Surat and rarely travel by bus as I have my own car. But I have heard these type of reports. It is really sickening to even think about the mentality of such people.

I have encountered eve-teasing only once in my life. I was standing on the bus-stop and few guys started to pass lewd remarks. Since then, I have started taking my own car to wherever I go. It makes me feel safe.

6. Sonya4mdelhi

Sonya4mdelhi Senior IL'ite

You are very lucky that you have a car. But not many girls can afford to commute everyday in a private vehicle. Even if they have a car or scooter, the daily expense of fuel and maintenance is most of the time too much to afford for college students.

And they are left with no choice but to use public transportation. In Delhi, Metro trains are quite safe but they have not reached everywhere yet!

7. jasmine1763

jasmine1763 Senior IL'ite

According to the girls, no action is taken against the cases of molestation and eve teasing on the campus. The students said that the maximum number of eve teasing incidents take place during the police recruitment examination, which are held in the university campus.

8. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

However, students feel that these help lines are useless. The police need to have mobile patrolling teams across the campus to monitor the situation, says Radhika, a student from the Indraprastha College.
    Students add that it is considered extremely unsafe to walk anywhere in the north campus in the evening. Recently, a group of boys tried to drag a girl inside a van, but the girl managed to escape.

9. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

A proposal for the enactment of the Delhi Prohibition of Eve Teasing Bill, 1992 received from the Ministry of Home Affairs (1992). The proposal referred to the Commission in 1992 contained the Delhi Eve Teasing Bill of 1984 (which has been passed by the Delhi Metropolitan Council for adoption by Parliament

10. AakritiM65

AakritiM65 New IL'ite

Problems like eve teasing and ragging are a signs of a deep inner frustration and depravity. Guys who do this kind of things need strong therapy and mental help. they should be made to realize the seriousness of what they are doing. Just by putting them in the jail for few days is not going to solve this problem.