Euthanasis- mercy Killing

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jayasala42, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Once again The Apex court is in the move for forming general guidelines for Euthanasia.
    This topic has been on the agenda for tens of years.The topic may seem to be irksome for some people and look inauspicious for a few others.Yet society also consists of those people whose interests are no way inferior.

Article 21 of our constitution reads as follows:
    "No person shall be deprived of his life or personal liberty except according to the procedure
    established by law''.
    'Right to life'is normally interpreted to mean'the right to lead meaningful,complete and dignified life'.
    When circumstances such as incurable diseases,unbearable living conditions,or the dire need to defend one's honour force a person to take extreme steps,the desire to die is considered
    not as unnatural ,but merely abnormal and pardonable under law.
    But on the other hand 'euthanasia',though the term literally means 'good death',is considered as 'homicide'irrespective of the circumstances.
    In most of the countries,barring a few, euthanasia is totally illegal.
    Pitiable is the condition of certain mothers in 50-60 age group who have got their children
    aged 30-35 suffering from irreversible nervous disorders from the time of birth. Those boys and girls are totally bed ridden,unable to talk or walk,affected by blurred vision,lost their sense of recognition,with a blunt look and peculiar smiles,unable to express the urgency of the calls of nature too.In certain families the parents are unfotunate to have two or more children with similar disorders.
    No need to talk about girls with post puberty complications as well.
    Mothers just pray God to keep them healthy to look after their dear ones .It is an indirect prayer for the children's end during their life time itself.What a horrible thought for a mother!
    These mothers/parents are unable to concentrate on their other normal children.A sense of permanent gloom prevails over the house.The position of very old people facing terminal illness is no different.
    Very often when petitions are received from such mothers/relatives for 'mercy killing' of their own dear ones,the court simply passes some interim order saying" euthanasia is a complex issue involving psychological,sociological and property related problems and they need some guidance from the countries who have legalised'euthanasia'.
    It is true that there are chances of misuse or over use & it might become a social evil.
    Parents are often blamed to be sinners and selfish. For the parents and very close kith and kin, this is a great problem.For all others this will be just a juicy topic for discussion as they are not personally involved.But it should be realised that no parents would ever wish their children to predecease them unless under extreme circumstances.Their fear about the future of their children after their demise is quite reasonable.
    All theories reg fate,misfotune,equipoise etc etc and any number of philosophical quotes from scriptures may never be reconciling to the wounded parents.
    Some years ago they called for open discussions from the public,educationists, psychologists,
    medical practitioners in Critical Care units,social workers and others.That move didn't take up.
    Having consideration to the unsolvable practical problems,under certain specific circumstances euthanasia may be allowed ,though not made legal..Certain strict stipulations
    including patient's consent,and the medical certificate certifying the absolute necessity,and in case of children the parents' acceptance in writing etc may be imposed.
    Homicide,in case of self defence is acceptable.In the same way ,penal provisions with reg to euthanasia ,under specific circumstances ,may be liberalised to the extent of making it a legitimate defence.
    Though the number of such afflicted persons are a few in number,their mental struggle is mountainous,enormous and beyond expression.

Jayasala42

2. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

IMO... When courts can't implement "right to life" in true letter & spirit, they have no moral right to pass judgements on ethunasia..

3. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Euthanasia ~ a much-discussed issue but always bound to be left inconclusive. I remember, when I was doing my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] year MSC in clinical research, we had a debate on this very same topic. I was completely against it at that point of time as I thought it was morally and ethically wrong. Ending the patient’s life is not a humane solution to tragic situations of pain and suffering. I thought physician’s prime duty is always to kill the pain, not the patient. To kill oneself, or to get someone else to do it for us, is to deny God's rights over our lives and his right to choose the length of our lives and the way our lives end. Human life is sacred it's a gift from God. So therefore the deliberate taking of human life sounds completely unethical to me at that time.

Then came the movie Guzaarish. I saw this movie, couldn’t control my tears. The movie forced my mind to think about euthanasia positively. Then I thought, if the quality of life is so bad causing too much of physical or emotional pain , euthanasia sounds to be an ultimate solution. Yeah some do think its against Hippocrates oath but what I think is “Nothing good in artificially keeping someone alive when death is preferable.”

Just like in an attempt to provide medical and emotional care to the patients, doctors do prescribe medicines that will relieve his suffering even if the medications cause some gross side effects. This means that dealing with agony and distress should be the priority even if it affects the life expectancy. Euthanasia follows the same theory of dealing with torment in a way to help one die peacefully out of the compromising situation.

Then I came across Aruna shanbaug’s case. After reading aruna shanbaug ma’am’s case any kind hearted person will definitely pray for her death. Reading her sorrowful story made me think “Why to prolong her suffering when she very much desires a peaceful & painless end…”

Though the court rejected the euthanasia plea for aruna ma’am but I’m happy that her case made a gateway to
    Passive Euthanasia in India.

So I go in favor of enthanasia, though it may sound cruel to some...

1 person likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Angellic,
    I think that now you are convinced about Euthanesia under exceptional circumstances.Since I have myself seen the sufferings in three or more cases, I wrote about this topic.
    Thank you for your response..

Jayasala42

1 person likes this.
  5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

I think, in some countries of Europe (? Switzerland), Euthanesia is legal.