1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Euthanasia or mercy killing

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meera2503, Jul 31, 2008.

1. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Meera,
    According to me these are exceptional cases....and as you had asked a question, it is the amalgamation of all...
    It is a miracle, no explanation would be from the medical side, prayers were answered and it is also her fate that has decided her to be like that for so many years and come back alive...

sriniketan

3. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

You have now posed a very serious question. A few years ago, a close friend sustained a massive stroke and had to be kept on the ventilator. After a few days of observation, the family decided to remove the life support system. After reading your post, I am wondering. Yes, I am WONDERING.

4. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

To Ms. Meera,

In Jain religion, there is provision for ending one's own life by fasting until death. And I have seen one old lady fasting for eighty days and then died. People make the fasting ritual and the eventual death a religious festival. I had gone for her darshan on the seventy eighth day of her fasting. So there is a concept that if one wishes to end his/her life he/she has right. But for those who are not so old it is quite debatable.

5. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Sriniketan mam,Ojaantrik sir and Navaljee,

Thanks for sharing your views here. True it is an exceptional case.....a medical miracle,her fate or her families prayers .In some religions too one is allowed to end their life on his or her own.

But when we read her story,one wonders what was her family's journey through these years.Her father says' I was pretending that she didnot exist'.Twenty years is a long time and they must have been used to the idea that she may not survive.

I wonder,if they had given up hope, what made them keep her in that vegatative state for twenty years,was is their slightest hope she might live? or was it their belief that it is not in their hands to end a life?

regards

meera