Eulogising Kalyani In Carnatic Vs In Movie

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Thyagarajan, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: K A L Y A N I :hello:

The lady in this UT VIDEO is popular on stage and in temples discoursing stories of Gods & Godesses in Hindu Pantheon. She is well-versed in carnatic music.

Here she is analysing the carnatic Rag Kalyani, its aesthetics and its influence in Tamil Box office Movies.

She opines that Listening to this Rag in suitable instrument or in vocsl as a keerthana as often as possible is real bliss indeed.

Benefits:
    Enrich the listener with Positive vibration.
    A cure for or and reduction in migraine attack
    A stress reliever.
    Suitable for using it in background while practising yoga or engaged in meditation or while doing mathematics.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    vidhyalakshmid likes this.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Suchitra appeared in debates also and did justice to many topics with added flavor of singing too. I will watch the video.

3. MadhuRK

MadhuRK Silver IL'ite

Kalyani is one of my favorite raagas.

When I introduce Carnatic music to kids, I always start with Saralivarisai in Kalyani instead of the same Saralivarisai in the traditional Mayamalavagowlai. Kalyani is way more cheerful and uplifting. It makes the uphill battle of developing a musical taste in kids, a little bit simpler I guess.

The traditional first lesson becomes a DOA (dead on arrival) the minute it is delivered in the serious and somber and complex-sounding Mayamalavagowlai.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@MadhuRK
    :hello: Thanks for your thought provoking comments.
    2. I can’t agree more with your statement. For docile music students- yes. It is.

3. Listening here - 18 minutes in link below

Is uplifting. A favourite of My son & I : we must have - in last three decades - listened over several hundred times to this mesmerising Keerthana Composed by Thyagaraaja & rendered by Doctor Padma Vibhushan .

4. Mayamazhla Gowlai you mentioned here reminds me of the occasion of Nalangu of my wedding Jan, 1975 - where a participative lady invitee in her vibrant voice beautify, rendered “Deva Deva Kalyamithey”.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    MadhuRK likes this.