1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Etiquette

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by purnima22, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Purnima,
    really tough experience. I see that people here expect those coming from abroad to bring loads of things to them and do not give anything saying that "what do they need, they are abroad". Sunny3 had given you the best option of cancelling the party at the last moment, that way they will learn.
    People think that those who live abroad get moneytrees in their homes and so it is only fair that they shower gifts. As you have said, you all work harder to lead a good life there. If at all there is any problem, these relatives would not even bother to call you people and would be happy that you are suffering.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread. Most of us do face this in some way or the other, not only with in-laws, but also with extended family on our side. Nice solution too.

I would keep mum and leave it to DH to do the talking to his parents and others who are happy to pile on for free food. People might still say he is doing this due to his wife's training, but at least the back and forth discussion about who pays or can afford to pay will be husband's headache. It has been my experience, that the same statements coming from DIL has more unpleasant impact than if they come from son, and DIL's statements are remembered for much longer than needed too.

-Rihana

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010