1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Equitable, Least Partiality, Parenting

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rihana, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A few recent threads touched upon anguish, pent up resentment and discord caused by real/perceived parental partiality or parent being amiss in some aspects of parenting all the offspring.

Anguish seems to continue well into adulthood.

Question for this thread:

• Should parents consciously strive for impartiality in their behavior towards their kids?
    • How much should they try to be fair/impartial to the kids? To what extent? How?

Some partiality (or disparity) by parents is inevitable. Thread is about what any parents can do during the parenting to minimize partiality on their part to their kids.

Thread is not about what adult kids can do to deal with parental partiality they experienced when growing up.

1 person likes this.

2. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Well, I have two kids of different genders and ages.

The two reasons I will NEVER give for anything contentious:
    1. Because you are a GIRL (BOY).
    2. Because you are ELDER (YOUNGER).

This is all that I do to MINIMIZE (cannot truly say ELIMINATE) partiality between siblings. And yes, every parent should consciously strive towards it constantly.

2 people like this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

1. I think when buying gifts, or gadgets, games, dresses even chocolates and ice creams , everything buy for both (all children). first telling what is allowed budget for that holiday And taking their fav item into consideration. Sharing should be encouraged. U buy that, I will buy this we can share, as a group all sit and discuss about their taste and gifts, they will not feel what I want is not cared by parents.

mostly kids feel bad in this "buying new stuff "area.

2.while disciplining kids one might be sensitive, so he or she may feel too bad when u punish both kids. Patiently explain later for both that what they did is not right. When I was young my sis and bro were not giving me water colors, geometry box , I used to cry, parents used tell share it. I ended up crying .

2 people like this.
  4. Rihana

Nice point. I think the 'because you are a girl/boy' is easier to avoid. But, when, really annoyed or in a hurry, it is hard to avoid telling the older one, 'can't you just give it (toy/book/part of a snack)' or ask the older one to be more patient.

Which brings up the general question -

Would it get harder to maintain the conscious impartiality if the kids have different personalities, abilities and needs. And what if family situation changes, such as family becomes more/less busy, money in household increases/decreases....

5. Rihana

Aah.. so true. Often the younger one might get less of new stuff. Kind of unrelated - the younger one does get older and more experienced parents. : )

Hmmm.. yes. Parenting now needs lot of explaining to kids.

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I have two children, and I try my level best to avoid/minimize partiality towards my children constantly.

You all are very much familiar with the below image, which beautifully tells that "Equality doesn't mean justice".
    I consciously practice it at home.

I have 2 kids of both gender. Both are under the age of 5 with completely different qualities.

I just don't treat them equal in all the aspects. For ex, my elder son doesn't like chocolates, but loves to play games in my mobile a lot.
    Younger one really likes candies, but not that interested in mobile games. Further, she is yet to learn about gadgets.
    Now it doesn't make any sense to me to give 2 bars of candies, and 2hrs of mobile time for both to ensure equality.
    Rather, I would please the younger one with an additional candy (within limits) and the elder one with an additional hr of mobile time.
    At the end, both are happy and it makes justice for both.

Here, I didn't give them anything equal. But it doesn't mean I am partial towards my kids.

I, as a parent ensure my children gets the maximum and work towards it. But they as children might perceive this as partiality; hence have some misunderstanding while growing up.

It is my duty, as a parent to clear their misunderstanding by thoroughly understanding them.
    Communication helps. Because, I repeatedly speak to my children mentioning why I had done this, and get their feedback in any forms. (Either a kiss, a naughty prank or whatever). I move on from there only

Attached Files:

3 people like this.