1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Equality for women

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by somehurt, Jul 2, 2014.

1. somehurt

somehurt New IL'ite

Last night I read a reply from a female member of this forum asking for equality. Now, this brought me to post this thread about equality which women have been fighting for.

As I was browsing the profiles on a matrimonial site, I found 50% of the women on these sites are not working and wish to get married to a guy who is earning well. Well, I understand. They wish to be home makers after getting married. But suddenly something stuck me and I changed my profile to reflect my job status as not working. Then I started sending interests and messages to few girls who were working. You know what, you guessed it right. Not one of them was interested in my profile. These are in fact the girls who wrote a lengthy lines in their partner preferences about equality and how they are looking for a man who will support her, cherish her and treat her equally helping her with her career plans.

Isn't equality supposed to mean both genders get equal privileges and responsibilities? If these girls/women want equality, why is that a man is always supposed to be the bread winner but women get the privilege of either working or not working as per convenience?

And even to the women on this forum, is any unmarried girl/ women ready to accept a boy/ man who is not working?

3 people like this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

There are stay at home dads that I know of. It made a lot of sense for the wife to go to work from a financial/ health perspective. Their numbers are very, very few though. The centuries of stereotyping is turning around. We are getting there, albeit slowly.

ps: both my husband and I used to work. I took time off and a year later it was my DH's turn to do that while I worked again. It just didn't come to be as he didn't want time off then. Now I am a stay at home mum as we decided that it was the care we wanted to provide our child. We talk frequently (not too seriously though) about him quitting and me joining the workforce again. Perhaps in a few years I'll tell you it worked out...

2 people like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You see... Men don't have this luxury to chose whether to continue as a working man or a stay at home husband/dad. So, they are in a way forced to work regardless of their wish or circumstance. It is the social norm of this society, but not the case everywhere.

At least I know a couple of people from the west and also from the east (Japan) that the highly qualified working women married to stay at home husbands, and their choices were just perfect due to their demanding works at office. The husbands turned out to be nice stay at home dads, and look after their kids, and wives (after works).

However, they did not lack anything to stay at home. They are educated, energetic, and very well respected by their wives. Indeed, their wives respected them one step ahead of normal working husbands, because these husbands sacrificed their potential career for their wive's dreams.

In fact, they as couples weighed their careers and future perspectives, and decided this way.

Until and unless we attain their [COLOR=#009900 !important]maturity[/COLOR] level, I think you men must continue to have a profession. Unfortunately you have no choice man.

1 person likes this.
  4. somehurt

somehurt New IL'ite

Do you think you would have agreed to marry your husband if he was not working then?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  5. somehurt

somehurt New IL'ite

Duplicate post.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Probably here housewives want to say that their tasks at home should be considered of equal importance and they should be given equal importance and rights.
    So is the case of stay at home husband. He should not be looked down upon.
    Probably most setups go well if one person stays at home and that person should be given equal importance while the other handles financial needs.

7. somehurt

somehurt New IL'ite

Is your husband working right now? Was he working when you got married to him?

8. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Would you marry a girl who says yes to your jobless profile but says- "you will have to leave everything behind and come stay with my family, at my home and accept my last name."

Will you marry that girl??

5 people like this.
  9. somehurt

somehurt New IL'ite

The girl who marries me will not have to stay with my family. So the same applies to her too.

10. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

You want the girl to earn and you to be a SAHH. You will decide then who to live with and who not to live with. Have you ever thought that why everything is all about YOU??? what you want, how you want, when you want.

sometimes it is better to understand that everything is not about YOU a marriage is about us, we.

8 people like this.