1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Equal Rights for Women - Do we get it right?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sarajara, Mar 12, 2010.

1. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

International Women's Day, Justice for the fairer sex, Equal rights for women, sharing of work by husbands, sharing of wealth, financial and physical security, women's reservation bill lots in discussion.

Equal rights at work: does this mean a lady would go to a mine to work? Do all the tough works of a mason / carpenter ? Work with heavy machinery in industries ? Do we talk about working late in office in extreme climatic conditions? Do we emphasise on travelling out of stations on par with men for work based reasons ? This does happen these days but do we not insist that being ladies we cannot leave the family and go out of station often? We say men have an upper hand on ladies since olden days and we talk about woman's liberty to only catwalk in the fashion shows with skimpy clothes! some where some thing has been growsly misunderstood. Though there are many who know the real meaning or equal rights, for most of them it takes a lifetime to understand the real essence of it!

There is a post talking about depicting mother in the school book as a woman cooking in the kitchen while father depicted as a man working on the computer. There were a lot of fuming replies that the image needs to be changed that woman are not destined to be mere cooks or to be depicted as mere cooks.Thanks to the one who posted the thread for it gave the spark for this post.

I feel that the lady of the family takes care of the needs of every one in the family, mental and physical health being first choice . The first step and the basic step is cooking so there is nothing wrong in expecting women to cook.Any lady who wants to take care of the health of the family would atleast oversee and have the reigns of the kitchen and that need not be misunderstood as being confined only to kitchen and household works.

Any working woman would not feel safe handing over the responsibility of cooking to someone else. Of course the man in the family can cook once in a while but any lady would like to have it done by herself for her own satisfaction - Its the design friends and not something brought upon them or there is nothing wrong in that either.

Be it what ever be the era it is by default that the male member is the major bread winner. Their physique and mind is designed for work and women are designed to be emotionally sensitively and sensibly attached to the family.

Though a father also might help children with their lessons and home work, a mother can do it more easily ( i mean make it easyfor the kids to learn).

There is no question of egalitarianism here. Women of olden days were never considered in taking major decisions of the family like relocating or starting a business or sponsoring some one , or any other family matter liks some family member's marriage. They were considered as ones who never had brains.

Times have changed and women do take part in major decision making inthe family andd they have their say in every matter minor or major. Beyond that shrugging basic qualitites like trying to mimic men in all the walks of life is simply a tragic comedy just as how it would be when we girls try to force men to bear a child in their womb.

Is there a law in the constitution that a woman should not enter politics. Agreed that the majority of the crowd mostly comprising of the 20th century people with ideologies dating even a few decades earlier to that might pose a threat, but will there be any one to stop ladies coming to the top when a sizeable number of them take part in elections? We cleverly seek the most coveted and comfortable places there also with all the luxuries that come as a concession package quoting the gender.It is a kind of injustice to those men who have worked way up to reach their level in politics or what ever field it may be.

Women's organisations and Ladies clubs that help the one's in despair are sure to be bowed down a thousand times.On the other hand those who voice out in media and in public gathering crowd to follow them madly to just get a big list of cocessions in the name of rights and keep bragging about some ideologies that might sound modern and birght now but have no inner sense.

The upcoming generations should be taught to clearly draw a line between the real egalitarianism and the mirage that is created by some ladies who dont understand the mental liberation of the fairer mass.

Belated Women's Day Wishes!

PS: This post , i understand its a sensitive one is never meant to hurt or mock any one ; Its just to share my feelings on some areas where in i feel that there is some injustice being done to the other sex.

2. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sarajara

A very thought provoking post . I entirely subscribe to the idea that men and women are made different, both physically and emotionally and there can be no question of one being superior to the other. Providence ( Nature or God, whatever we may wish to call it )has seen to it that each gender has the capabilities and faculties needed to function well in the given circumstances.

I certainly dont think cooking or keeping home is in anyway infereior to piloting a jumbo jet. Nor do I think Men are superior to women . So, in hankering after something called "Equality" we should never lose sight of the fact the Feminity is a great boon and asset gifted to us and it is not worth sacrificing it for anything. I think i have already said this in an FB elsewhere, but it wont hurt repeating : I firmly believe in the saying :" A woman who wants to be like a man lacks ambition !"

Having said that, I want to add that emancipation should mean the right to CHOICE. Both women and men should realise that CHOICE to be what one wants to be is a god given right. A woman should not be cornered and trapped into definitions and boxes created by others for her. If I want to be a homemaker and find fullfillment in it , let me be that. Let the world not assume the superior attitude and say I am wasting my time sitting at home. If I want to be a train driver or a coal miner and am competant to do it, let me be that. Don't let paternalistic fingers point at me saying i am not fit for those. Let decisions about my life be mine. So long as I am not doing anything illegal, immoral or irresponsible, the other person need not offer free advice about how i should run my life. This is what i consider true emancipation.

It was wonderful reading your thoughts.:thumbsup

3. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

hi Sarajara,
    I second TL's views .Instead of others choosing what is good or bad for a woman ,she should be the judge of her actions or decisions.Its her birthright .Good to read your post

4. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much for the FB,s TL and DW!! :)

TL you are right each and every individual should know what is for them not others to decide.

Most of the people try to influence in defining things for others.